Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bozzy18
    • By bozzy18 13th Jul 17, 9:52 AM
    • 59Posts
    • 7Thanks
    bozzy18
    tax credit and pension contributions
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:52 AM
    tax credit and pension contributions 13th Jul 17 at 9:52 AM
    Hi, I'm seeking advice please. I recently discovered (thanks to this forum) that we should not be including our employee pension contributions and gift aid donations when we declared our final incomes for tax credit purposes. This was not clear to us before.

I wrote to them and queried whether I can go back 4 years (to when we started contributing to our employers pension funds) amending our previous declared incomes and they wrote back saying no its too late - "previous tax credits are in the system and they can't change it"! They accept I can amend last year (Apr 2016 to March 2017) but that's it!

I thought this is unfair - if they can chase for overpayments and fraud dating back years then they can surely assist those who previously made mistakes with their declarations. What I would like to know is whether I can challenge this and how please?

Thanks all.
Page 1
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 13th Jul 17, 3:03 PM
    • 4,434 Posts
    • 2,784 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:03 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:03 PM
    It would be too late for any sort of appeal for previous year's. It tells you the deductions you can make on the claim form, their website and the renewal forms each year.

As for pension contributions, if already taken into account on your P60 (if deducted from gross pay) then there would be no need to deduct them again.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 13th Jul 17, 3:05 PM
    • 4,434 Posts
    • 2,784 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:05 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:05 PM
    Page 12 for example - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/601554/TC603RDNotes_0417_internet.pdf
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

123Posts Today

1,472Users online

Martin's Twitter