Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • carrie2901
    • By carrie2901 13th Jul 17, 9:39 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    carrie2901
    Quote me happy - phone call has triggered claim
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:39 AM
    Quote me happy - phone call has triggered claim 13th Jul 17 at 9:39 AM
    Hi there

I"m hoping someone out there can advise me on this? My husband has his car insurance with Quote Me Happy. A few weeks ago a guy was doing a 3 point turn and crashed into the back of our car. Of course we did what normal people do when in an accident, called our insurance people. With a huge excess my husband thinks that if we proceeded with a claim it would turn out as 50/50 so is probably going to get the car repaired himself. But QMH are saying that because my husband called them they take that as a claim so this has impacted his no claim bonus. Despite us not proceeding with a claim against the other driver. We have not filled out any paperwork or claim form. Is this legal? It is unlikely we will proceed with claim so how can we be penalised for claiming if we don't? Grateful for any advice?

Thanks
    Carrie
Page 1
    • ACG
    • By ACG 13th Jul 17, 10:05 AM
    • 15,077 Posts
    • 7,621 Thanks
    ACG
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:05 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:05 AM
    I dont think you lose your no claims bonus but you would have to declare the incident.

Someone bumped into my car, 100% his fault, but we dealt with it between ourselves (although it was disclosed to the insurers), I still have my no claims.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 13th Jul 17, 1:00 PM
    • 32,148 Posts
    • 16,232 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:00 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:00 PM
    You reported this incident which you say is not clear cut regards liability.

Thus your insurer has (correctly) opened a file and (temporarily) impacted his ncd until they either get a claim in from the other side or close off the claim.

The other side have 6 years to make a claim. Your husband can ask them how long before they will close this off, but this will cause a problem at renewal if he wants to change insurers and the claim is still open

Now he has reported this incident it does go on his record and the shared database meaning he must disclose it to other insurers he approaches for quotes for up to the next 5 years depending on how long a history is asked about
    Last edited by Quentin; 13-07-2017 at 1:28 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,489Posts Today

4,850Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin