Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shavy65
    • By shavy65 13th Jul 17, 9:28 AM
    • 411Posts
    • 1,253Thanks
    shavy65
    TV Licence - Legally I need one, but do I REALLY need one?
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:28 AM
    TV Licence - Legally I need one, but do I REALLY need one? 13th Jul 17 at 9:28 AM
    OK, so I know the rules/requirements for a TV Licence.

But...if I cancelled mine are they really going to know?
    My friend has had them visit him twice in the last 2 years (since he moved in, he`s never had a licence) and both times he just tells them he only watches Netflix.

After a few conversations it`s now apparent to me that what he is doing is very common nowadays.

Now, I feel like the sucker!
Page 1
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Jul 17, 9:44 AM
    • 9,074 Posts
    • 8,517 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:44 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:44 AM
    I feel obliged to point out that (a) TV Licence evasion is an offence, and (b) MSE probably don't want people discussing the commission of offences in a positive light on their forums.

Personally, I would say that there are more than enough opportunities within the law for legitimate viewing of video content without a Licence that breaking the law should be unnecessary. Add in the several grey areas (which could be subject to a robust defence in Court) and there's very little FTA material that you cannot access without a Licence.

The difficulty arises, of course, in that TV Licensing who should be an open and impartial arbiter over the implementation of the law are anything but, and the information provided by them whilst broadly accurate in the main facts, starts to look a little ragged in the detail of exactly the kind that citizens need to know and understand.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 13-07-2017 at 9:50 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Rainbowgirl84
    • By Rainbowgirl84 13th Jul 17, 9:50 AM
    • 473 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Rainbowgirl84
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:50 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:50 AM
    So let me get this straight, you are embarrassed and think you are a sucker for not stealing? Shoplifting is very common, do you feel like a sucker for not doing that?
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jul 17, 10:02 AM
    • 14,627 Posts
    • 14,349 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:02 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:02 AM
    I think it's one of the most common prosecutions in the country....
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Jul 17, 10:09 AM
    • 9,074 Posts
    • 8,517 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:09 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:09 AM
    It is. Typically around 160,000 prosecutions per year, and according to the BBC there are another c. 160,000 viable cases that they do not pursue.

However, there are a number of technical legal issues with those cases that raise questions about whether this is really serving justice, or simply the financial/political interests of the BBC and the wider Establishment.

The whole thing is an economy-sized can of worms. IMHO.

As I said, I do not condone law-breaking, and that applies as much to individuals breaking the Communications Act by evading the Licence as it does to the BBC and their agents breaking PACE when pursuing them.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 13-07-2017 at 10:13 AM.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • shavy65
    • By shavy65 13th Jul 17, 11:06 AM
    • 411 Posts
    • 1,253 Thanks
    shavy65
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:06 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:06 AM
    So let me get this straight, you are embarrassed and think you are a sucker for not stealing? Shoplifting is very common, do you feel like a sucker for not doing that?
    Originally posted by Rainbowgirl84
    Yes exactly.........
    • shavy65
    • By shavy65 13th Jul 17, 11:12 AM
    • 411 Posts
    • 1,253 Thanks
    shavy65
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:12 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:12 AM
    So basically, they can`t prove anything, so none of us should bother paying the licence at all.
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 13th Jul 17, 11:53 AM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:53 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:53 AM
    So basically, they can`t prove anything, so none of us should bother paying the licence at all.
    Originally posted by shavy65
    If that happened then the there would be no BBC which would be a great loss. Why would you want to lose high quality programming?
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 13th Jul 17, 12:30 PM
    • 2,136 Posts
    • 1,867 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:30 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:30 PM
    If that were true there would not be 160,000 prosecutions per year.
    • shavy65
    • By shavy65 13th Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 1,253 Thanks
    shavy65
    If that happened then the there would be no BBC which would be a great loss. Why would you want to lose high quality programming?
    Originally posted by wongataa
    I`d be more than happy to keep my licencing money and do without BBC.

If that were true there would not be 160,000 prosecutions per year.
    Originally posted by giraffe69
    Ok so what evidence are they using for prosecuting? Surely it comes down to one man`s word against another?

Cheers.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Jul 17, 3:41 PM
    • 9,074 Posts
    • 8,517 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Most of the prosecutions are based on confessions. It's not clear how willingly those confessions are given (certainly TV Licensing's interview approach has various PACE-compliance issues with it and there is a history of rogue staff using deception). TVL field staff get performance bonuses based on confessions taken and Licences sold.

Unfortunately, and although I've asked many, many times, I've not been able to get a true picture of why TVL defendants choose to provide TVL with the means to prosecute them.

If you've not seen it before, this is quite illuminating: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4262202/BBC-s-TV-licence-bullies-exposed.html
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 13-07-2017 at 3:47 PM.

• Marvqn1
    • By Marvqn1 13th Jul 17, 4:07 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    Marvqn1
    On Friday night the other week on BBC1, they showed a repeat of Mrs Brown's Boys at 9:30pm and another repeat of something else about 10:30pm. There isn't much original programming on the BBC these days.
    • mark5
    • By mark5 13th Jul 17, 9:54 PM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 773 Thanks
    mark5
    The licence fee is the one bill I really hate paying. I watch Netflix and I watch the subscription sports channels, yet I have to pay £12 for channels I have no interest in watching and never do, it's just a stealth tax.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 13th Jul 17, 10:40 PM
    • 29,737 Posts
    • 18,828 Thanks
    DCFC79
    On Friday night the other week on BBC1, they showed a repeat of Mrs Brown's Boys at 9:30pm and another repeat of something else about 10:30pm. There isn't much original programming on the BBC these days.
    Originally posted by Marvqn1
    That police drama that ended the other week, cant recall its name, that looked good from what I saw.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Jul 17, 10:58 PM
    • 9,074 Posts
    • 8,517 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    That police drama that ended the other week, cant recall its name, that looked good from what I saw.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    Line of Duty? That finished on 30 April, according to iPlayer.

I don't think that there's any real question that the BBC shows good programs from time to time. However, there is a question over personal tastes (I haven't been that keen on BBC Drama for a long while) and how frequently the BBC makes good programs. When I look at the weekday schedules for BBC1 & BBC2 they often seem sparse - but I suppose it is the summer season.

Just randomly for tonight, this is BBC1:-

18:00 News & Local News
    19:00 The One Show
    19:30 EastEnders
    20:00 The Sheriffs Are Coming - rework from daytime
    21:00 Who Do You Think You Are? Series 14, Craig Revel Horwood
    22:00 News at Ten
    22:45 Murdered for Being Different
    23:45 This Week

Ultimately, it is just TV, and I personally think it's probably time to have an alternative means of providing and accessing it than a universal-ish Licence, a Licence Fee and doorstepping field staff to enforce it. The doorstepping aspect of it is already up there on my list of "bad Government" issues, and the BBC would have to commit to substantial reform before I would be won back as a supporter.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 13-07-2017 at 11:08 PM.

• o1nk
    • By o1nk 17th Jul 17, 1:45 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    o1nk
    In the current climate of democratic 'have another vote on something', let's put it to the people to vote on TV licences.
    For God's sakes, why don't they have adverts to fund it? Every other channel does.
    Telling me that I have a TV and don't watch BBC is irrelevant.
    Hardly anyone listens to the radio anymore either.

Give US the choice on how the BBC is funded.
    • EdSwippet
    • By EdSwippet 17th Jul 17, 5:37 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 493 Thanks
    EdSwippet
    Hardly anyone listens to the radio anymore either.
    Originally posted by o1nk
    Utter cobblers. From RAJAR's May 2017 data release:
    Today RAJAR announced 48.2 million adults or 89% of the adult (15+) UK population tuned in to their selected radio stations each week in the first quarter of 2017. This is up by approximately 400,000 adults on the same Quarter of the previous Year (Q1, 2016). The total average number of weekly hours listened to radio for this quarter is 1.023 Billion.
    • Don80
    • By Don80 24th Jul 17, 11:58 AM
    • 136 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Don80
    I think we should pay the licence - but I do object. I have Sky, and would have no problem if there was a package to drop BBC, and then not pay the licence.

Personally I think the BBC should be funded like every other channel/radio station. They're supposed to be impartial, that's a joke. Their programmes are no better than Sky Originals, Amazon/Netflix originals. Being forced to pay for channels I don't watch and wouldn't miss seems unfair to me. But because I do watch other channels, I have to pay the BBC?
    • shavy65
    • By shavy65 24th Jul 17, 5:14 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 1,253 Thanks
    shavy65
    You`ve articulated my feelings exactly.
    • M'aiq the Liar
    • By M'aiq the Liar 24th Jul 17, 6:58 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    M'aiq the Liar
    What about making the TV licence voluntary? After all, those that think the BBC has such fantastic programming would be queuing to pay for it surely?

Why should the rest of us be under penalty if we don't wish to engage in the BBC's highway robbery scheme?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

155Posts Today

1,571Users online

Martin's Twitter