Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ratechaser
    • By ratechaser 13th Jul 17, 9:09 AM
    • 468Posts
    • 368Thanks
    ratechaser
    Is it possible to get an 'ok' bike for about 100?
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:09 AM
    Is it possible to get an 'ok' bike for about 100? 13th Jul 17 at 9:09 AM
    Morning all,

Having searched some of the threads on this board, I almost hesitated to ask the question, given what some people seem to be happy to pay for a bike, but anyway...

Basically I'm just looking for a couple of cheap bikes for occasional use (no more than once a week) on a nice day. Wouldn't be heading over any really tough terrain, more country/woodland paths - anywhere which leads towards one of the many country pubs/restaurants in my area!

I can certainly see options around the 100 mark, and given I've not really cycled (centerparcs aside) since I was a teenager, I just want something basic, with a few gears, that won't fall apart after a month, or cut my backside to ribbons

Any suggestions/recommendations would be welcome!

thanks
    RC
Page 1
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 13th Jul 17, 9:56 AM
    • 521 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:56 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:56 AM
    I ride 300 miles a month to work and back. I would not touch a 100 new bike rather a second hand one for 100 if that is all I had to spend.

I ride a hybrid. A cross between a slick or racing bike and a mountain bike should do you. I would up my budget. You really do get what you pay for with bikes. I would be looking to spend a few hundred to be honest. You really will appreciate the difference if you could compare and what you will save in maintenance and something breaking a few miles for home would be money well spent.

Have you a Evans shop near you or maybe even Halfords? Maybe pop into a local independence and have a look and feel. Many bikes can be purchased on interest free for a year.
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 13-07-2017 at 9:59 AM.
    • rdr
    • By rdr 13th Jul 17, 10:04 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    rdr
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:04 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:04 AM
    Decathlon sell some cheap bikes that are not total rubbish.
    Even so 100 is pushing it, even for there, 150 or 200 will get you a far nicer bike. If you know a competent bike mechanic you can do much better second hand.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 13th Jul 17, 8:53 PM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,529 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:53 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:53 PM
    A cheap bike is great way to put you off riding.
    I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 13th Jul 17, 9:42 PM
    • 7,721 Posts
    • 5,511 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:42 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:42 PM
    I've always had a bike since I was a kid. Until a while back, it was always a cheap bike that I'd take out for a few miles once a week in the height of summer.

The bike that "got me into cycling" (as in, cycling a fair distance fairly regularly) was a 125 bike I bought online (brand new) in the late 1990s.

I'd had it for a decade with little use, then got "hooked" on cycling to unwind after work. I knew the bike was heavy, the shocks were useless, the gears were worn and hard to adjust accurately... but I loved it. For a 3 or 4 mile explore every now and then it was fine.

Six years ago, I decided it was worth upgrading to a 500 bike, and the performance was so much better. Since then I've also spent a lot in tools, oils, greases, replacement parts, etc., but it gives me a lot more pleasure than my old cheap bike.

But there's no denying that the cheap bike was a lot of fun, and with occasional use and minimal maintenance, it lasted ten years. There's a lot of snobbishness when it comes to bikes and how much to spend. In some ways it's justified because at the low price points, you can get a lot more "bang for your buck" by spending more.

But if you just want a cheap way to get into cycling, just for the occasional fairly-short jaunt on a summer's day, or to see if you enjoy it enough to spend more money on a decent bike, then cheap bikes can be worth it.

But even so, I'm not sure what you'd get for 100 today. Maybe you should look at second-hand bikes, or save a bit more. I reckon 200+ (maybe 250+) would be a good starting point if you can afford it.

On cheap bikes, I always find the gear shifting to need occasional adjustment. If there's one thing you should learn when you get a bike, it's how to adjust the gears properly.
    • macman
    • By macman 13th Jul 17, 11:21 PM
    • 41,350 Posts
    • 17,000 Thanks
    macman
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:21 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:21 PM
    Go to a place that refurbs bikes to raise funds for charity and to offer youth training. The Salvation Army and others run these. You will get a decent used bike that has been properly checked over and serviced, and any damaged parts replaced. Usually the chain and the brake and gear cables are renewed. It will have some cosmetic blemishes, but these are not important.
    Go to Halfords and for that money you will get only a BSO (bicycle shaped object )that is built down to a price and has the cheapest and nastiest components imaginable, and poorly assembled into the bargain. Guaranteed to put you off cycling!
    Last edited by macman; 13-07-2017 at 11:25 PM.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 14th Jul 17, 8:53 AM
    • 521 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:53 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:53 AM
    Can not say I agree completely. Some of Halfords Boardmans would do the casual ride just fine.
    • rdr
    • By rdr 14th Jul 17, 9:41 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    rdr
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:41 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:41 AM
    Can not say I agree completely. Some of Halfords Boardmans would do the casual ride just fine.
    Originally posted by scd3scd4
    True but they are more than 100 and it is a total lottery if the forks are the right way around, let alone anything more technical.
    • macman
    • By macman 14th Jul 17, 10:58 AM
    • 41,350 Posts
    • 17,000 Thanks
    macman
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:58 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:58 AM
    But the cheapest Boardman hybrid is 400 new! OP's budget is a quarter of that. The cheapest Decathlon B'twin hybrid is 149: and the spec is dreadful. Welded one piece bars and stem, plastic pedals, plastic brake levers, only 8 gears, scaffold pole frame...need I go on?
    Last edited by macman; 14-07-2017 at 11:04 AM.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 14th Jul 17, 11:17 AM
    • 2,815 Posts
    • 2,306 Thanks
    Aretnap
    My mate bought a 100 bike from Halfords. He thought he'd got a really good deal because it had been "reduced" from 300 (anyone who actually paid 300 for it would have been getting severely ripped off).

He did manage to do 30-mile rides with me on it, but it looked like a heroic effort. I have fairly vivid memories of gentle downhill slopes where I'd be freewheeling, he'd be pedalling rather furiously... and I'd be accelerating away from him. (I was riding a 500 hybrid at the time, so hardly a pro-racing bike).

Soon enough he went out and spent a few hundred quid on a better bike, and riding became a lot more fun. Buy cheap, buy twice.

If your budget is a hundred quid or so then I suspect you'd be better off looking for a decent quality bike second hand rather than a very low-spec one new.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 14th Jul 17, 12:44 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    But the cheapest Boardman hybrid is 400 new! OP's budget is a quarter of that. The cheapest Decathlon B'twin hybrid is 149: and the spec is dreadful. Welded one piece bars and stem, plastic pedals, plastic brake levers, only 8 gears, scaffold pole frame...need I go on?
    Originally posted by macman

The reply had no reference to price. It was a comment on Halfords and bikes and that they sell decent Boardmans.

You need not go on as I ride a 650 Whyte Hybrid and do 300 miles minimum a month and have done for nearly 4 years summer and winter.

I would never take my bike for repair in Halfords but use an independent who knows me. I suggested paying more or looking for a second hand bike.
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 14-07-2017 at 1:05 PM.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 14th Jul 17, 12:55 PM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 19,504 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Given this is an MSE forum, surely time spent having a polite word with the local police about bike theft, local bike shops & refurbishers & where they sell dumped bikes may get the wheels needed for pottering well within budget & once that has either taken a grip (or not) then more funds can invested (or not).

A properly set up refurbished second hand bike has to be better value than a brand new ultracheap if only as you have learned where to go if/when there's a problem other than youtube?

Oh aye & Cyling Proficiency is usually targeted at children but chomp on your pride & learn/"re-sit" it - it may well keep you alive longer than you suspected.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 14th Jul 17, 1:05 PM
    • 1,656 Posts
    • 2,184 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    The reply had no reference to price. It was a comment on Halfords and bikes and that they sell decent Boardmans..
    So your post was of little assistance to the OP then, would you agree on that?

My push bike got left behind during an international move so I ended up buying my neighbours for 50. It's a men's bike but I'm a tall lass and suits me fine. I did have to replace a chain which broke, and replaced the rear block at the same time but it still came in at under 100 for a Claude Butler Cotswold.

Second hand might be your best bet, and as there are lots of bikes abandoned in sheds let people know locally. My local newsagent also has quite a number of ads for bikes in your range. For the more expensive ones it's worth people ebaying, but not so much in your price bracket. You could even try Freecycle/Freegle.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 14th Jul 17, 1:32 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    So your post was of little assistance to the OP then, would you agree on that?
    Originally posted by silverwhistle

No I would not. Its the nature of forums to expand and even give the poster possibilities he may not have first thought of. Posts like this are also read by many more than just the original poster. But thanks anyway.

Over the years I have heard the very same story. Cheap rubbish bikes that keep breaking down put off move potential cyclists than any other reason. Someone will buy a cheap bike and weeks or months later wished they had spent a bit more. The experience on a half decent bike is completely different than the bottom range as is the enjoyment.

Like I have already said........if its just money. Then many do interest free for a year. If we could only give you a decent bike for a week and a 100 rubbish.............you would need no convincing.

If you know someone who has a little experience that could help on a second hand. Ebay is full of them and some decent stuff.
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 14-07-2017 at 1:46 PM.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 14th Jul 17, 2:53 PM
    • 1,656 Posts
    • 2,184 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    No I would not. Its the nature of forums to expand and even give the poster possibilities he may not have first thought of. Posts like this are also read by many more than just the original poster. But thanks anyway.

I'm well aware of how forums work, thanks. That was why I followed my easy question to you with another approach which met the OPs financial criteria.

You going on about a 650 hybrid was pretty irrelevant, although no doubt you'd dispute that too.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 14th Jul 17, 3:18 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    I'm well aware of how forums work, thanks. That was why I followed my easy question to you with another approach which met the OPs financial criteria.

You going on about a 650 hybrid was pretty irrelevant, although no doubt you'd dispute that too.
    Originally posted by silverwhistle

Its not about what's irrelevant to others but more important in giving the OP options. Some of which the OP may have not thought of and reasons why. I gave him/her multiple. Lets allow them decide what's relevant.

This may help.....http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/police-auctions
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 15-07-2017 at 9:41 AM.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 14th Jul 17, 5:05 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Just been on Ebay for a look. Of course it depends on distance you are willing to travel but...........for a 100 .a few nice examples . If you are willing to spend a little more then there looks like plenty. Of course you may want a little service to go with it but worth a look......I would buy one of these decent second or third hand over a new 100 myself every day of the week.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 15th Jul 17, 4:12 PM
    • 625 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    House Martin
    Just been on Ebay for a look. Of course it depends on distance you are willing to travel but...........for a 100 .a few nice examples . If you are willing to spend a little more then there looks like plenty. Of course you may want a little service to go with it but worth a look......I would buy one of these decent second or third hand over a new 100 myself every day of the week.
    I agree, Ebay is the place to get a bargain.I took my time looking for the lightest carbon fibre bike and got a sub 8 kg beauty for only 600 with high quality groupset which was virtually new.(Planet X Pro Carbon )..Planet X are the UK leaders in lower priced good bikes..I think they set a new standard. Personally I would just do an ebay search on aluminium framed bikes..When I was searching there were plenty of good all aluminium bikes around to take a bid on.Just saw a decent looking ally mtb type bike for 100 in Nottingham
    Preloved and Gumtree are always worth a look too.could be cheaper than ebay and even the Police sell off bikes on an online auction..I d say they can be the cheapest of the lot
    Last edited by House Martin; 18-07-2017 at 11:23 PM.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 16th Jul 17, 8:11 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 484 Thanks
    fred246
    Some people just carry on riding a bike without adequate maintenance. When the chain is stretched, the cassette worn and the chainrings finished they buy a new bike. The old one is sold as 'used' on ebay. Some people buy a new bike with good intentions of taking up cycling but they never do. They use it two or three times. These are sold as 'used' on ebay. Obviously the canny purchaser will search out the latter.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 16th Jul 17, 8:17 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 484 Thanks
    fred246
    Go to a place that refurbs bikes to raise funds for charity and to offer youth training. The Salvation Army and others run these. You will get a decent used bike that has been properly checked over and serviced, and any damaged parts replaced.
    Originally posted by macman
    A friend of mine bought one of these refurb bikes and gave it to me to sort it out. It was a right hotchpotch of technologies cobbled together from parts of different eras of cycling. I really couldn't help her with it. I'm sure there are some reasonable bicycles from these places, though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,579Users online

Martin's Twitter