Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Scatty
    • By Scatty 13th Jul 17, 9:07 AM
    • 53Posts
    • 9Thanks
    Scatty
    Kitten - flea treatment etc
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:07 AM
    Kitten - flea treatment etc 13th Jul 17 at 9:07 AM
    My gorgeous ginger furbaby Oscar is now 17 weeks old. Our local vet do a package for £130 for first flea treatment, first worming, micro chipping and neutering (he's not had that yet).

He's an indoor cat so won't be picking up anything nasty outside (until we go out on a lead, whenever that is!).

So he's had his first flea injection and worming at the vet. But what happens now? How often do I treat him? And with what? He's my first kitten <3
    Woohoohoohooooooooo
Page 1
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 13th Jul 17, 10:47 AM
    • 1,341 Posts
    • 4,556 Thanks
    Fen1
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:47 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:47 AM
    Speak to the receptionist at your Vets. She will know what the jkitten has had and what the follow-up should be.
    • Scatty
    • By Scatty 13th Jul 17, 2:40 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Scatty
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:40 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:40 PM
    sort of hoping for a bit more advice than that, going forward. But thanks...
    Woohoohoohooooooooo
    • doglover86
    • By doglover86 13th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    doglover86
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    Congratulations on Oscar - first time cat owner?

If you want to give him complete cover against worms and fleas, I'd recommend using Wormclear from Beaphar every 3 months for the worms and Fiprotec from Beaphar every 4-5 weeks to keep fleas away - you definitely don't want them in your house, they can be a nightmare to shift! This holds my cats well enough against this kind of nasty.
    Last edited by doglover86; 13-07-2017 at 5:01 PM. Reason: mistake
    • Scatty
    • By Scatty 14th Jul 17, 8:34 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Scatty
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:34 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 8:34 AM
    Thanks doglover 86 - yes he certainly is my first kitten after 20 years of rats. And he's such a very good and gorgeous boy!

Thank you for the advice - even though he's indoor only, I know I can track stuff in so your recommendations are most welcome :-)
    Woohoohoohooooooooo
    • usefulmale
    • By usefulmale 14th Jul 17, 1:10 PM
    • 2,315 Posts
    • 4,293 Thanks
    usefulmale
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:10 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:10 PM
    We only treat our cats for fleas when they have them.

Giving them flea treatment every 4 or 5 weeks regardless is no different to you taking antibiotics continuously, just in case, and you don't do that, do you?

Just means that the local flea population gets resistant, very quickly.
    Originally Posted by MSE Forum Team
    We’ve had to remove your signature because what you wrote was true and sensible and there's no room for that here.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

130Posts Today

1,727Users online

Martin's Twitter