Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Autistic-Jamie
    • By Autistic-Jamie 13th Jul 17, 9:07 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Autistic-Jamie
    UK Pension Service underhand tactic
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:07 AM
    UK Pension Service underhand tactic 13th Jul 17 at 9:07 AM
    I help my aunt with her pension stuff and noticed a couple of years ago her state pension was valued at £33 per week and she was awarded £121 pension credit! On her latest pension statement it now shows a state pension of £145 and with her deceased husbands pension she is no longer entitled to pension credit which means she can't access the additional financial help! Although previous to this Pension Service told her she DID NOT receive guaranteed pension credit, although she had the paperwork to show that she did receive pension credit?

It's like the pension Service are now increasing people's pension to prevent people accessing pension credit therefore preventing other financial assistance being claimed?

Has this happened to you?
Page 1
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 13th Jul 17, 10:14 AM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 987 Thanks
    MEM62
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:14 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:14 AM
    There are no 'tactics'. Pensions are administered in accordance with the rules and regulations that govern them. Of course, that does not mean that the rules cannot disadvantage some in certain circumstances but this would not be the only area of Government policy where that is the case. (And is just as likely to be the result of poorly conceived or written policy as anything else)

If you feel that the rules have not been applied properly or an error has been made then raise a complaint.
    Last edited by MEM62; 13-07-2017 at 10:21 AM.
    • atush
    • By atush 13th Jul 17, 3:14 PM
    • 16,333 Posts
    • 10,081 Thanks
    atush
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:14 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:14 PM
    I thought the threshold for pension credit was higher than that?

Have you contacted age concern and done a benefits check? Is she getting reduced council tax?
  • jamesd
    • 13th Jul 17, 6:04 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 6:04 PM
    There are two types of pension credit:

1. Pension guarantee credit, for those with low total income.
    2. Savings credit for people who reached their state pension before 6 April 2016 who have other income and also a low income.

A person can receive one or both of them.

It seems that after his death she had her state pension increased by inheriting some of his state pension. Also seems that she is getting some other pension of his that takes her total income above the level where she qualifies for means tested benefits.

For a couple the total household income that you can have and still get means tested benefits is higher than for a single person.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 13th Jul 17, 8:18 PM
    • 23,387 Posts
    • 13,593 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:18 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:18 PM
    Your relatives became state pensioners under the old scheme?

It would appear that when your uncle lived, their combined income (pensions/other)was under the GPC for a couple threshold so that they qualified as a couple?

On his death, she was able to claim a basic state pension on his contributions rather than her own and also inherited some of his additional
    state pension? She has enough other income that when combined with her SP takes her over the GPC threshold?

Read this very detailed fact sheet from Age Concern and set up a detailed statement of your aunt's income to see what has happened.

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB/Factsheets/FS48_Pension_Credit_fcs.pdf?dtrk=true

If you are unsure, make an appointment for your aunt with CAB so that her entitlement can be checked.
    Last edited by xylophone; 14-07-2017 at 11:55 AM. Reason: typo
    • Autistic-Jamie
    • By Autistic-Jamie 14th Jul 17, 11:51 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Autistic-Jamie
    • 14th Jul 17, 11:51 AM
    Thank you
    • 14th Jul 17, 11:51 AM
    You're brilliant enjoy your summer
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 14th Jul 17, 2:54 PM
    • 5,015 Posts
    • 6,999 Thanks
    Kynthia
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:54 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 2:54 PM
    This is something I'm trying to understand at the moment. My MIL (aged 74) was briefly getting pension credit while my FIL was in a care home and his pensions were paying towards his bill. He passed away at the beginning of the year and now my MIL has too much income for pension credit and has just gone over the savings limit for council tax credit and housing allowance so now is paying backdated bills for both which will bring her back under the savings limit.

I know she gets Attendance Allowance and she's sending me her bank statements and tax code. I'll take a look at that factsheet but if anyone else has info on what else I should be looking into I would be grateful?
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 14th Jul 17, 4:08 PM
    • 7,559 Posts
    • 8,161 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 14th Jul 17, 4:08 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 4:08 PM
    There's a benefits forum in here where the regulars may have more expertise.
    • missile
    • By missile 15th Jul 17, 11:30 AM
    • 8,989 Posts
    • 4,364 Thanks
    missile
    • 15th Jul 17, 11:30 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 11:30 AM
    There are many who receive just over the limit, who would be better off if they could claim benefit / pension credit etc.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

371Posts Today

4,787Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin