Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Darkie
    • By Darkie 13th Jul 17, 8:53 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Darkie
    Buying partner out of mortgage
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:53 AM
    Buying partner out of mortgage 13th Jul 17 at 8:53 AM
    Hi all,

So, my wife and I have split up after 14yrs together and 4yrs in our current house, 5 in our previous. It's all amicable and we're keeping everything friendly by not involving solicitors or anything. We have 3 kids and don't want to sell the house quite yet, so the kids still have their home and their 'constant' but she is moving into a rental property this week and asked if I would consider buying her out.

Honestly, I know nothing about how to go about it.
    The house was bought for 210k and the mortgage is probably for around 160k, but the value of the house has gone up to just over 300k judging by the houses around. Am I right in thinking that I would need to come up with half of the equity to buy her out?
    So about 70k and then would I have to get a new mortgage of 230k? At the moment I can afford the monthly repayments on my own but it would be very tight paying repayments on a 230k loan on my own.

Any advice would be great!
Page 1
    • TrickyDicky101
    • By TrickyDicky101 13th Jul 17, 9:53 AM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 1,723 Thanks
    TrickyDicky101
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:53 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:53 AM
    You essentially have it correct. You would need to pass a lender's affordability criteria to qualify for a mortgage at such a level and there is no guarantee you would do so.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 13th Jul 17, 12:52 PM
    • 54,839 Posts
    • 47,697 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:52 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:52 PM
    Who are the children going to live with?

Are they all u18?

This may determine what happens.
    “ “Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. The time of maximum pessimism is the best time to buy, and the time of maximum optimism is the best time to sell.” Sir John Marks Templeton
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,159Posts Today

8,574Users online

Martin's Twitter