Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ktcoil
    • By ktcoil 13th Jul 17, 8:37 AM
    • 533Posts
    • 35Thanks
    ktcoil
    Worms down and under?
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:37 AM
    Worms down and under? 13th Jul 17 at 8:37 AM
    Hello

We have recently got plants which we have in planters as we don't have a grass garden, we want to know do we need to buy worm or will the worms come from down and under into the planters, the only issue is it is a concrete and decking garden.

thank you
Page 1
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 13th Jul 17, 12:25 PM
    • 8,522 Posts
    • 5,049 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:25 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:25 PM
    This isn't the gardening section, but worms ,unlike slugs and snails,cannot climb up the side of pots.

They only serve to turn soil over,so you can do that with a small fork.

From the question being in the health section, I had the impression of worms in someone's private parts.
    • ktcoil
    • By ktcoil 13th Jul 17, 1:47 PM
    • 533 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    ktcoil
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:47 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:47 PM
    thank you
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 14th Jul 17, 3:03 PM
    • 1,941 Posts
    • 6,573 Thanks
    Ilona
    • 14th Jul 17, 3:03 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 3:03 PM
    Hello

We have recently got plants which we have in planters as we don't have a grass garden, we want to know do we need to buy worm or will the worms come from down and under into the planters, the only issue is it is a concrete and decking garden.

thank you
    Originally posted by ktcoil
    If you use soil dug up from a garden and it has worms in it, that's OK. If you buy bags of compost which doesn't have worms in it, that's also OK.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 15th Jul 17, 8:48 AM
    • 16,367 Posts
    • 278,696 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:48 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 8:48 AM
    I'll move your thread to the "Greenfingered Moneysaving" board
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 15th Jul 17, 10:19 AM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 7,697 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:19 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:19 AM
    Worms will get into pots, wherever they are, if they are needed. Which they probably aren't!

No need to forcibly remove worms and relocate them to your pots either. They won't thank you for it.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 15th Jul 17, 3:54 PM
    • 2,584 Posts
    • 2,904 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 15th Jul 17, 3:54 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 3:54 PM
    Plants don't need worms to grow.
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 15th Jul 17, 5:05 PM
    • 12,713 Posts
    • 12,443 Thanks
    Chris25
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:05 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:05 PM
    they somehow seem to be able to find the soil in pots if they want to.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 16th Jul 17, 10:01 AM
    • 23,562 Posts
    • 89,419 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:01 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:01 AM
    Although you probably won't get worms, 'down and under,' you may well get small grubs called vine weevil larvae.

These come from beetles, which can climb most things and get into the weirdest places, like the one which walked across my keyboard yesterday. (It was a short, one-way walk !) The beetles lay eggs that hatch to become the whitish grubs with brown heads one finds, often in quantity, when it's too late and they've eaten all the plant roots, usually around spring time.

Some plants are very susceptible to weevil grub damage, while others aren't. Plenty of info out there on the interweb:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=234
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Misslayed
    • By Misslayed 16th Jul 17, 10:40 AM
    • 3,390 Posts
    • 17,680 Thanks
    Misslayed
    I found an earthworm in one of my hanging baskets at the back end of last year - probably carried by a bird
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a (novice) Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 16th Jul 17, 12:46 PM
    • 23,562 Posts
    • 89,419 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I found an earthworm in one of my hanging baskets at the back end of last year - probably carried by a bird
    Originally posted by Misslayed
    I've found them under roof tiles and in guttering, so that doesn't surprise me at all.

Doubt if there's one on top of the Shard yet, but who can tell without going up there and checking?

You first.... I don't like heights!
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Farway
    • By Farway 16th Jul 17, 2:28 PM
    • 5,665 Posts
    • 7,443 Thanks
    Farway
    I've found them under roof tiles and in guttering, so that doesn't surprise me at all.

Doubt if there's one on top of the Shard yet, but who can tell without going up there and checking?

You first.... I don't like heights!
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    There's possibly one under the landing pad on Apollo 11, or if not a worm I bet there is def a slug
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 18th Jul 17, 5:29 PM
    • 12,713 Posts
    • 12,443 Thanks
    Chris25
    Although you probably won't get worms, 'down and under,' you may well get small grubs called vine weevil larvae.

Some plants are very susceptible to weevil grub damage, while others aren't. Plenty of info out there on the interweb:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=234
    them's the bu99ers that had my hydrangea
    • Farway
    • By Farway 19th Jul 17, 3:22 PM
    • 5,665 Posts
    • 7,443 Thanks
    Farway
    them's the bu99ers that had my hydrangea
    Originally posted by Chris25
    Was it in pot? Only asking because I have a new one, rescued from a skip, but it is now in the ground
    • ktcoil
    • By ktcoil 25th Jul 17, 1:26 PM
    • 533 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    ktcoil
    The thing is I have put snail pallets round the pots and planters so does that kill worms, there is no where you can buy worms from is there?

thanks
    • Farway
    • By Farway 25th Jul 17, 1:41 PM
    • 5,665 Posts
    • 7,443 Thanks
    Farway
    The thing is I have put snail pallets round the pots and planters so does that kill worms, there is no where you can buy worms from is there? thanks
    Snail pellets, or even pallets will not kill worms, different type of beastie and metabolism

Why you think you need worms in your pots?

You don't, in fact lots of gardeners actively try to stop the beggars getting in the pots in the first place, and before it was banned a worm-killer was poured in them by some, after killing every worm in the lawn of course
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 25th Jul 17, 1:53 PM
    • 23,562 Posts
    • 89,419 Thanks
    Davesnave
    there is no where you can buy worms from is there?

thanks
    Nah, who in their right mind would buy worms?

http://www.wormsdirectuk.co.uk/
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 25th Jul 17, 9:41 PM
    • 953 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    Apodemus
    Nah, who in their right mind would buy worms?

http://www.wormsdirectuk.co.uk/
    Let's not start this one again!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

206Posts Today

1,300Users online

Martin's Twitter