Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mdr
    • By Mdr 13th Jul 17, 8:32 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mdr
    House moving nightmare... Now trying to agree completion date!
    • #1
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:32 AM
    House moving nightmare... Now trying to agree completion date! 13th Jul 17 at 8:32 AM
    Hi this is my first thread on here but I always get my advice from here so thought I would join!

    Quick background story:
    We are ftb, viewed the house in March and put our offer in, seller and I are both chain free and he said he's ready to move into his family's house asap. Great news! We are ready to move too, so everything was going smooth. We got our mortgage offer straight away and got things going. We gave all our paper work to the solicitors by the end of May.

    The sellers solicitor has delayed us up until now, not responding to enquiries properly, not replying to emails or anything. I had to ask ea to chase and seller to chase numerous times.

    As a result of this we have had to continue to rent the property we're in, we've sold most of our furniture and furnishings and missed out on cash back offers with Halifax twice!

    The process has taken so long that we have considered pulling out but this week the ball started rolling again and we signed our paper work and my solicitor proposed a completion date of 21st July, great we thought! She tried to call the seller solicitor twice introit of us and he wouldn't answer, still hasn't answered two days later.
    I've chased and chased to the point where my brain is ready to pop. I text the seller to ask him to contact his solicitor and ask for a response, he then replied that he is sorry for the delay of everything and he is planning on putting a complaint In against his solicitor. I asked him if he's happy with the 21St and he answered that it may be a problem due to him needing to find storage for his furniture and that the week after may be better. (he said he's had it dismantled for a couple of months) Now.....tell me if I'm being Unreasonable here but I don't see why this should effect our moving date. We have waited and waited on this and we're sick of it. Every week delayed is an extra week of frustration and the more we're waiting the more we want to drop out.
    I have told my solicitor that if he can't do 21St then we are going to renegotiate the offer as we're losing too much money as the weeks go by.
    Do you think this is reasonable? does anyone have any advice for me please?
    I don't see why I should be delayed another 2 weeks because he wants a weekend to find storage, we are taking time off work and this guy told us he works from home most of the time!!!

    Argh I just hate all of this!
Page 1
    • Mdr
    • By Mdr 13th Jul 17, 8:35 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mdr
    • #2
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:35 AM
    • #2
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:35 AM
    Also can I just add that we found out he is purchasing another property but he has told us this doesn't effect his moving date as he will be living with friends in the interim.

    My solicitors have said that simple requests to his solicitor which take a day or so, have taken weeks of chasing and them not coming back to us!
    • kirtondm
    • By kirtondm 13th Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    • 130 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    kirtondm
    • #3
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    • #3
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    I suspect that the problem is him not his solicitor. He wants to tie the 2 purchases together so has been instructing the solicitor to delay things.

    He will be vague until his end is complete

    Or maybe I am just cynical. I have also been in a chain since March and we were due to exchange for 21st now just been delayed for the 3rd time to Aug 11th.

    Could issue an ultimatium but have to prepared to follow through. You are probably looking moving in just before xmas if you start again and he will know it.

    Agree bloody fustrating
    • Mdr
    • By Mdr 13th Jul 17, 10:17 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mdr
    • #4
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:17 AM
    • #4
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:17 AM
    This is exactly how I feel! I definitely don't feel confident with the seller- I think there is more to the story. The seller has just text me saying that his solicitor is still chasing up one last document that my solicitor asked for, my solicitor asked for this early last week! And he has told his solicitor that we are happy to complete on the 28th, nowhere did I agree that I was happy with the 28th, infact i'm definitely not happy to delay until the 28th because our mortgage offer ends in August and with the way things have gone i'm not happy to risk going into August!

    I am absolutely fuming, I think we may need to renegotiate our offer or possibly just sod it off. I'm happier in my flat. This whole process has given me anxiety, I can't sleep and I'm constantly stressed.
    Last edited by Mdr; 13-07-2017 at 10:34 AM. Reason: added more
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 13th Jul 17, 10:48 AM
    • 4,332 Posts
    • 17,999 Thanks
    Slinky
    • #5
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:48 AM
    • #5
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:48 AM
    I feel your pain. We're wanted to complete next Monday. Vendor hasn't cleared the property yet (probate) despite accepting our offer last week of March. We're still 6 weeks from exchange and 8 from completion.

    Trouble is if you pull out, you're not going to move anywhere else any quicker.
    • Mdr
    • By Mdr 13th Jul 17, 11:01 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mdr
    • #6
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:01 AM
    • #6
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:01 AM
    I basically said that I'm not happy to exchange on 28th as it is so close to August and our mortgage offer ends and we have agreed for 24th. Hopefully, this goes through...but I'm not getting my hopes up.

    I know if we pull out it would be a shame we've wasted money and energy, but I probably wouldn't bother looking for a house again for a few years as this whole experience has put me off majorly.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 13th Jul 17, 11:25 AM
    • 4,332 Posts
    • 17,999 Thanks
    Slinky
    • #7
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:25 AM
    • #7
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:25 AM
    I basically said that I'm not happy to exchange on 28th as it is so close to August and our mortgage offer ends and we have agreed for 24th. Hopefully, this goes through...but I'm not getting my hopes up.

    I know if we pull out it would be a shame we've wasted money and energy, but I probably wouldn't bother looking for a house again for a few years as this whole experience has put me off majorly.
    Originally posted by Mdr
    You need to make sure your COMPLETION date is before your mortgage offer expires, otherwise you could exchange and then be unable to complete.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 13th Jul 17, 12:10 PM
    • 40,194 Posts
    • 45,939 Thanks
    G_M
    • #8
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:10 PM
    • #8
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:10 PM
    You have 3 options

    * accept the house-buying is always frustrating and slower than expcted

    * pull out

    * play hardball. Give seller a deadline snd also go and view another property with the same estate agent. And make sure the EA knows you are also looking at prperties with other EAs. The EA will rapidly put pressure on the seller once they realise their commision is at risk........

    But decide what to do if the seller calls your bluff and misses the deadline.
    • Mdr
    • By Mdr 13th Jul 17, 3:05 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mdr
    • #9
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:05 PM
    • #9
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:05 PM
    I have definitely given the seller a dead line today, I have said it needs to be done by 24th otherwise I am changing my offer price as I'm incurring costs. The seller has agreed 24th is fine, but what a surprise....trying to get through to his solicitor to finalise the date is a nightmare...3rd day my solicitor has tried to get through to confirm!
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 13th Jul 17, 5:42 PM
    • 2,373 Posts
    • 2,275 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Out of curiosity what costs are you incurring?

    Hopefully it gets sorted soon.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 13th Jul 17, 5:56 PM
    • 54,403 Posts
    • 47,247 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    I have definitely given the seller a dead line today, I have said it needs to be done by 24th otherwise I am changing my offer price as I'm incurring costs. The seller has agreed 24th is fine, but what a surprise....trying to get through to his solicitor to finalise the date is a nightmare...3rd day my solicitor has tried to get through to confirm!
    Originally posted by Mdr
    Ring the EA and say that you want to view other properties. Book an appointment. Message will soon get relayed back to the seller.
    “ “Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. The time of maximum pessimism is the best time to buy, and the time of maximum optimism is the best time to sell.” Sir John Marks Templeton
    • sulphate
    • By sulphate 14th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 3,101 Thanks
    sulphate
    I think you are being unreasonable. You don't expect the seller to move out before he has found storage for his belongings surely? Why have you sold most of your furniture? How come you are losing money? Presumably you won't book time off work until you have a definite date?

    I feel your frustration as our house went on the market in February and we still haven't moved but anything from 3-6 months is the norm and buying a chain free property doesn't always mean the process will go quicker.
    • Mdr
    • By Mdr 19th Jul 17, 1:38 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mdr
    I'm in a rented property.
    We started to sell our stuff because our solicitor was happy with the way things were going in May and told us that it wouldn't be long, we've heard that every week since until recently since our solicitors have started to tell us that the vendors solicitors have taken weeks to get back with enquiries.

    Even now we agreed a completion date for next week and my solicitor is still waiting this week to exchange with them. The vendors solicitors are really slow. We are at the end and they're just being ridiculous.

    Time off work, I mean when we need to do anything for the house we have had the time off work, obviously I'm not going to book a week off work in hopes that we complete next week, I've arranged with my manager to provisionally book time off and she's agreed that ls okay if I need it last minute. But I mean if the seller is really stuck the seller should have the time off work and not delay us by weeks to sort out storage.

    Storage, does someone really need 3 weeks to sort out storage? I don't think so, you can arrange and purchase storage the same day.

    It's just excuse after excuse
    • sulphate
    • By sulphate 19th Jul 17, 3:45 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 3,101 Thanks
    sulphate
    That's just life I'm afraid. Welcome to the house buying process! Perhaps the seller can't just book time off work at short notice whenever he wants.
    • dlmcr
    • By dlmcr 19th Jul 17, 8:45 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    dlmcr
    All I can say is welcome to the system of buying and selling property in England. Your gripe is not really with your vendor or their solicitor, it should be with the system that allows it to happen. Thousands of people are stuck in similar situations where things are moving slowly when they are buying and selling and it sucks unfortunately but there is little to do but play along with it. That said, in your situation, it is obvious your vendor is stalling for time. I would book viewings through the same agency as you are buying this one through, for other properties, then make noises about putting offers in. That fact will get through to vendor and will focus vendors mind to get a move on and it will be obvious based on what they do or don't do then what their intentions are. If they do nothing to speed things up then you know where you stand and it is time to pull out because it will become clear they are not ready to complete the sale any time soon.
    • LadyGMadameToThee
    • By LadyGMadameToThee 19th Jul 17, 8:57 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    LadyGMadameToThee
    You need to start putting your foot down with the seller. Sellers think they have the upper hand in the process but, in fact, they do not. We have twice made our seller drop his price & we have made him carry out 3k worth of work to the property otherwise we threatened to walk. He who pays the piper calls the tune! Put him to heel befor he ruins your life.
    Lady G


    Life is too short to be serious all of the time. So, if you can't laugh at yourself, call me - and I'll laugh at you!
    • gycraig
    • By gycraig 19th Jul 17, 9:42 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    gycraig
    You need to start putting your foot down with the seller. Sellers think they have the upper hand in the process but, in fact, they do not. We have twice made our seller drop his price & we have made him carry out 3k worth of work to the property otherwise we threatened to walk. He who pays the piper calls the tune! Put him to heel befor he ruins your life.
    Originally posted by LadyGMadameToThee
    Not really a blanket thing. It depends on the house,the market, how much the landlord really wants to sell,how much interest he's had.

    For every owner who will bend over backwards to accommodate these things there are owners who will just say "meh go buy a different one then"
    • Mdr
    • By Mdr 20th Jul 17, 5:06 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mdr
    Was told by the seller that his solicitor had arranged to exchange with mine today. I sent my funds to my solicitor on Monday, she's been chasing all week for a date to exchange. Surprise surprise, the vendors solicitor has said he needs to finalise some figures before exchanging so now my solicitor is trying tomorrow.

    I have sent my money across to my solicitor and I am scared. Honestly to anyone saying I'm unreasonable, try being told by your solicitor that you're ready to exchange since May because you've done everything quickly and efficiently and have to wait 2 months for vendors and their solicitors. It's heartbreaking.
    Maybe there is some hope and it'll be done tomorrow.
    We're supposed to complete on Monday!
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 20th Jul 17, 5:17 PM
    • 54,403 Posts
    • 47,247 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    We're supposed to complete on Monday!
    Originally posted by Mdr
    How much notice does your lender require to release the funds?
    “ “Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. The time of maximum pessimism is the best time to buy, and the time of maximum optimism is the best time to sell.” Sir John Marks Templeton
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 20th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    • 994 Posts
    • 1,173 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    How much notice does your lender require to release the funds?
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    Just what I was thinking.

    Almost all lenders require 5 working days, but it may be the solicitor has already requested the funds in advance of exchange, but my experience is that they do not like doing this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,040Posts Today

6,846Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

  • WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

  • RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

  • Follow Martin