Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • perfect10
    • By perfect10 13th Jul 17, 8:31 AM
    • 298Posts
    • 273Thanks
    perfect10
    Landlord asking for cash deposit
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:31 AM
    Landlord asking for cash deposit 13th Jul 17 at 8:31 AM
    Just after some advice, am due to move into flat soon, it is a private landlord who has asked for the deposit in cash. We will get the keys at the same time. Have rented property before so know I need receipt for this and tenancy agreement just never been asked to hand it over in cash before? Always dealt with agencies.
    Should he be giving me proof of where my deposit goes at this stage too?
    Any advice please?
    Entering a few comps here and there still waiting for that elusive 'big' win!!
Page 1
    • anselld
    • By anselld 13th Jul 17, 9:09 AM
    • 5,280 Posts
    • 4,812 Thanks
    anselld
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:09 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:09 AM
    Yes ask which protection scheme will be used. None of the custodial schemes accept cash so I can't see a legitimate reason to request cash.
    • rjwr
    • By rjwr 13th Jul 17, 9:13 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    rjwr
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:13 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:13 AM
    I've given cash a number of times and it's been protected mostly.

I wouldn't worry about it not being protected, it goes hugely in your favour if your landlord wishes to not protect your deposit.
    But never spend money you don't have to buy things you don't want to impress people you don't like.
    Originally posted by kidmugsy
    • DumbMuscle
    • By DumbMuscle 13th Jul 17, 9:14 AM
    • 196 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    DumbMuscle
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:14 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:14 AM
    I've given cash a number of times and it's been protected mostly.

I wouldn't worry about it not being protected, it goes hugely in your favour if your landlord wishes to not protect your deposit.
    Originally posted by rjwr
    The ability to recover a large amount via a legal process is rarely actually as good as not having to go through the legal process in the first place!
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 13th Jul 17, 9:23 AM
    • 35,881 Posts
    • 151,091 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:23 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:23 AM
    If you are getting the keys as you hand over the deposit, i can understand the landlord not wanting to risk eg a bouncing cheque. Even bank transfers can be recalled the same day. I would be asking to pay the deposit 2 days in advance by some more trackable means.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Jul 17, 9:32 AM
    • 18,434 Posts
    • 14,147 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:32 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:32 AM
    Even bank transfers can be recalled the same day.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    They absolutely cannot be recalled.

What can't be guaranteed (unless paying by CHAPS before the cut off time) is that the payment will be completed on the same day - in most case it will be but nobody can say for certain that it will.
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 13th Jul 17, 11:06 AM
    • 769 Posts
    • 509 Thanks
    saajan_12
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:06 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:06 AM
    I wouldn't worry about a cash deposit too much. As long as you get a receipt, you have the same security / proof of paying as with a bank transfer. The LL would have to protect the deposit in the same way, so no difference there. And a deposit isn't income so the LL wouldn't be trying to avoid tax in this way (does he want cash rent too?)
    • G_M
    • By G_M 13th Jul 17, 12:15 PM
    • 41,087 Posts
    • 47,233 Thanks
    G_M
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:15 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:15 PM
    I agree.

Make sure the receipt is clear what it is for:
    * LL name
    * property address
    * security deposit for tenancy
    * signature
    * date

The LL has 30 days to inform you where he protects it via the PI.

Provided
    a) you get the keys and
    b) this IS the LL (not an outgoing tenant..... )

it's fine.

You didn't find the property via gumtree did you?
    • perfect10
    • By perfect10 13th Jul 17, 1:06 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    perfect10
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:06 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:06 PM
    I agree.

* LL name
    * property address
    * signature
    * date

The LL has 30 days to inform you where he protects it via the PI.

Provided
    a) you get the keys and
    b) this IS the LL (not an outgoing tenant..... )

it's fine.

You didn't find the property via gumtree did you?
    Originally posted by G_M
    Thanks for all the responses this is really useful - found the property through spareroom.com I believe he has other properties so can maybe find out whether he has advertised through spareroom before?
    I think I need to do more checks on the landlord to make sure he is the landlord!!!!!
    Thanks
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 13th Jul 17, 1:29 PM
    • 769 Posts
    • 509 Thanks
    saajan_12
    I think I need to do more checks on the landlord to make sure he is the landlord!!!!!
    Thanks
    Originally posted by perfect10
    Ask if he is the property owner (it is possible for non owners to legitimately let the house e.g. tenants with permission to sublet). If he claims to be an owner, check this with Land Registry (costs just £3).
    • rjwr
    • By rjwr 13th Jul 17, 11:01 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    rjwr
    The ability to recover a large amount via a legal process is rarely actually as good as not having to go through the legal process in the first place!
    Originally posted by DumbMuscle
    simples, just dont pay the last couple months rent..... two can play the game. Landlord plays fair, tenant plays fair.....
    But never spend money you don't have to buy things you don't want to impress people you don't like.
    Originally posted by kidmugsy
    • perfect10
    • By perfect10 14th Jul 17, 8:16 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    perfect10
    Thanks, apparently he has advertised flats before on Spareroom so known to them and there have never been any complaints, bad feedback etc, also now have a copy of the contract so can go through this too, have asked for details of rent deposit scheme and said I want a receipt when I pay.
    Really appreciate all the advice.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 14th Jul 17, 9:51 AM
    • 8,898 Posts
    • 11,748 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    .......... so I can't see a legitimate reason to request cash.
    Originally posted by anselld
    Landlords may request cash as then they know for sure they have received the funds (assuming not forged currency).. whereas almost all other forms of payment (bank transfer, cheque, etc ...) are usually unwindable one way or another...

Legal, but becoming increasing rare....
    • martindow
    • By martindow 14th Jul 17, 10:01 AM
    • 7,172 Posts
    • 3,989 Thanks
    martindow
    I agree.

* LL name
    * property address
    * signature
    * date

Originally posted by G_M
    I would type this up to take along with you so it only needs to be signed by the LL.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

72Posts Today

1,610Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin