Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jenga12
    • By Jenga12 13th Jul 17, 7:46 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Jenga12
    0 WOW
    European Laws
    • 13th Jul 17, 7:46 AM
    0 WOW
    European Laws 13th Jul 17 at 7:46 AM
    Just out of curiosity - what are the rules regarding eg, Spanish hotels copying passports? I know that in Italy this is the norm and that certain European countries allow 'borderless' travel using the Schengen Agreement. Don't think the UK is part of this.
    So on checking in, happy to hand over passport to have details + photos checked but really don't like the passport being copied.
    Last holiday was to Spain, where they copied our passports. Is this routine in Spain?
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 13th Jul 17, 7:56 AM
    • 31,620 Posts
    • 37,301 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 13th Jul 17, 7:56 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 7:56 AM
    It's routine ,

They do destroy them at the end of the stay
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 13th Jul 17, 7:58 AM
    • 11,570 Posts
    • 7,824 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 13th Jul 17, 7:58 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 7:58 AM
    In most EU countries there is a system of national identity cards, and a legal requirement to carry one (or acceptable alternative) at all times. So hotels are very used to copying identity cards rather than passports.
    • Jenga12
    • By Jenga12 16th Jul 17, 3:23 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Jenga12
    • 16th Jul 17, 3:23 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 3:23 PM
    So as a Brit with a passport (no identity card), they shouldn't have copied it?
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 16th Jul 17, 3:29 PM
    • 31,620 Posts
    • 37,301 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 16th Jul 17, 3:29 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 3:29 PM
    You can refuse to let them copy it , they can refuse to let you stay
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 16th Jul 17, 3:36 PM
    • 31,620 Posts
    • 37,301 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 16th Jul 17, 3:36 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 3:36 PM
    Spanish hotels have a legal requirement to register your details

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/local-laws-and-customs
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 16th Jul 17, 3:37 PM
    • 1,790 Posts
    • 2,383 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 16th Jul 17, 3:37 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 3:37 PM
    If you had an identity card, they would copy it, but U.K. citizens don't have identity card, they have passport and hotels, especially Spain, need copies.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 17th Jul 17, 10:12 AM
    • 7,171 Posts
    • 3,986 Thanks
    martindow
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:12 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:12 AM
    In the past French hotels used to take and keep passports until you paid on leaving. I suppose credit cards no longer make this necessary, but there is still a requirement to record details to be made available to the police if requested. In the UK, I imagine foreign visitors have to do the same.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

336Posts Today

3,310Users online

Martin's Twitter