Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 13th Jul 17, 2:06 AM
    • 4,848Posts
    • 6,809Thanks
    deannatrois
    EE - Are they doing all they can?
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:06 AM
    EE - Are they doing all they can? 13th Jul 17 at 2:06 AM
    I am writing to ask if there is something we could have asked for to prevent the situation we have been in for the past month. I have two children with ASD.., their main way of coping with stress, their 'safe place' if you like is browsing the internetwatching videos etc, I download and listen to a lot of TV shows, it helps me destress to have the headphones on. Its how they destress. So its important to us to have unlimited fibre access.

I moved on 17th June. Fibre was supposed to be installed on 28th June.
    A few days before I received an email asking me to call. They didn't really seem to know why when I called, said things checked out and installation would happen on 28th. I wasn't overly reassured, no one seemed to know what was going on at all.

On 27th I received an email asking me to call again. Was told there WAS a problem, discovered by Openreach, and they needed to apply for planning permission to dig up the road, so installation would not now happen until 6th.

On the 6th an engineer called round, said the road hadn't been dug up, he just needed to install fibre. He said it all seemed to be working and to wait until midnight that day for the fibre/phone service to start. Phone worked but had a blinking amber light on the router where it said internet.

I still had a blinking light the next day. EE said everything checked out their end. I was told an engineer would be booked out to come round 3 days later. I was able to ask EE to put some Gbs on my Dongle to keep us going but it was limited useage compared to what we'd normally use. No videos like Youtube etc for my kids.

Every time I called I had to explain the situation again. If we needed more Gb, I had to make sure absolutely nothing was left before calling and to call before 8pm because customer servces closed down then. I had moved house, the house was a disaster, so had lots and lots of other things going on. Didn't really need to worry about fibre installation and spend literally hours on the phone while checks were run yet again, persuade people I needed Gbs put on the dongle again, find out what their rules about this were (the hard way) etc. On one occasion I was given a whole 100Mb lol. Which lasted less than an hour.

Anyway then I discovered the promised engineer hadn't been booked, they asked us to run a third set of tests with tech support (another half hour) told once again it was Openreach not them and they would actually book the engineer this time.

Openreach Engineer came round today., spent four hours checking everything, said EE had too many people on our connection at the exchange box (I think). I am wondering by this time if EE can count to 10!

We phone EE, wait for them to get the engineers notes. They tell us they have booked a high level engineer, who will have access to check everything (apparently the previous 2 couldn't) and deny its down to anything their end. They have the cheek to tell us if its our fault they will charge us £180 for the call out (after all the checks that have been done I would hope anything we could have done would be ruled out).

We only signed up to EE a couple of weeks before we moved. Its a new router, the cables and filter have been changed, the router checked but we still don't have fibre. I am slowly going insane lol. I just want fibre to work. I am wondering if the fault will ever be found, and if anyone will take responsibility for it so it can be fixed. Is there anything I can do to help EE do the right thing? Sometimes they don't seem to know which hand is left and which is right. I'm worried I'm not doing something. EE don't seem to have good systems or protocols.I suspect that in spite of giving conflicting stories, having three engineers out in two weeks is good going. But it doesn't really seem to help. And the varied explanations they give are pretty confusing/can't all be true.
    Last edited by deannatrois; 13-07-2017 at 2:17 AM.
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 13th Jul 17, 8:13 AM
    • 9,849 Posts
    • 4,057 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:13 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:13 AM
    (So its important to us to have unlimited fibre access.)

Next time you move ISP go for one of the high service expensive providers with better customer support .

You don't have a filter on fibre .
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 13th Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    • 1,395 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    I'm presuming you are talking about EE 'fibre' to to the cabinet broadband, in which case you don't get a fibre to your home , it's the ordinary 'copper' phone cable that delivers both FTTC broadband and phone to your home.
    Do you have phone service ?, if you do it confirms connectivity from the exchange via a 'cabinet' to your home, it then would then become a case of is your home in a 'FTTC' area, and is there capacity at the associated fibre cabinet , to provide you with 'faster' broadband.
    Why does any road need digging up ? ( unless you don't have a phone service and it's the phone line that needs to be provided, a pre requisite for broadband), if the road that needs digging up is to provide the 'fibre' cabinet, then why are they accepting FTTC orders for an area that doesn't (yet) have it ?,
    Have EE sold you FTTC (VDSL) and not regular ADSL broadband ?
    If you check your phone number or address on speed checker sites, what speeds do they predict for ADSL ( regular ) broadband and FTTC broadband ?, it could be that regular broadband ( up to 17-20Mb/s) could be OK for your situation , or at least OK until a FTTC connection is provided, or it could be that the FTTC cab is so far away from your address that the speed may not be that good.

It's quite difficult to tell exactly what the problem is, have you no broadband connection at all ( never been provided) , have you a broadband connection but it's not working or working but not a fast as your expectations, is Openreach saying what they provide is OK, and the problem is with the parts of the service that EE provide, like the equipment at your home , or the EE's 'exchange' equipment after OR have handed over your service from them to EE ( so a congestion problem )
    Last edited by iniltous; 13-07-2017 at 9:06 AM.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 13th Jul 17, 4:20 PM
    • 4,848 Posts
    • 6,809 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:20 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:20 PM
    I'm afraid its quite difficult for me to tell where the problem is as well.

We do have phone

The broadband light is green on the router.

The Openreach engineer set it up temporarily (if I understand this correctly) so the fibre 'signal' was coming from them and the green internet light started blinking.

This is why he says its an EE problem. He said EE needed to talk to Openreach Wholesale.., I don't know why.., but he said there might be too many connections to that part of the exchange (my wording so it might not be the correct wording). I have looked at the exchange for this site on an Openreach website and it says there are still connections available although i understand this isn't always accurate.

The router settings have been looked at several times.

But I am very sorry, I am not techy enough to describe more details and may use the wrong words in places because of my lack of understanding of how it all works.

The 'digging up the road' excuse was just what I was told was causing the initial delay. I don't believe it was true and the first engineer said he didn't know anything about this.
    Last edited by deannatrois; 13-07-2017 at 4:29 PM.
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 13th Jul 17, 4:46 PM
    • 1,395 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:46 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:46 PM
    Ok, bit clearer now, if the broadband router had a green light, it means the equipment is connected and in sync, so the Openreach bit is fine, the problem is probably an authentication issue, this is something only your provider can sort out, in effect your 'account' hasn't been set up or hasn't been set up correctly to give you access, when you try to get online, authentication 'fails' and you are not given 'access'
    Even if it's something at a BT Wholesale level that needs looking at, it needs EE to take responsibility, and sort it out, including if necessary contacting BTW
    I would try and get onto EE technical support people, his may require you to insist with the first level EE support people that they put you onto someone 'technical level' support,
    I'm not sure if EE have this, but with other providers , getting onto the executive level complaints people can get results.
    Last edited by iniltous; 13-07-2017 at 4:55 PM.
  • Samantha_EE
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:53 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:53 PM
    Hi deannatrois,

I can completely understand and appreciate how important it is for you to have your Fibre connected. Our broadband teams are totally committed to resolving any issues and getting you up and running as swiftly as possible.

I know you have already spoken with the team but you can give them another call to ensure you have up to date information. You can find our contact details on the following link:

http://ee.co.uk/help/get-in-touch.

Thanks Sam
    Official Company Representative
    I'm an official company representative of EE. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 14th Jul 17, 12:32 AM
    • 4,848 Posts
    • 6,809 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:32 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:32 AM
    Samantha_EE I have spoken to EE technical support every couple of days (one occasions more than once a day) in over three weeks, and get a different 'story' every time. And every time I need to ask for more data on my dongle, I have to explain yet again, and possibly go through yet more (often the same) tests. Sometimes the previous person has left notes on my case that the next person can't understand.., if they bother to read them at all.

Then there's the fact that you never know if they have done what they said, (like call an enginner out) which causes more delays.

And I am presently having to use my mobile as ran out of data after 8pm (son went mad inspite of requests for care in useage). Such 'rules' are not explained (ie. no customer services after 8p) and are not discovered until you run foul of them. And of course, customer services are the people who add data to my dongle, but only available for 12 hours. You have to be completely out of data before they can load more on apparently so can't say 'I'm down to 2Gb, need more to get through the night, can you put more on before I run out please while you are still around?'

I do feel that through a lack of protocols being in place, this has gone on longer than it should have done. I still have no idea what has gone wrong, and I don't think tech support (who i have spoken to) or customer services are well trained in what to do. So many phone calls and the fault still hasn't been found. Its as if you have to have technical expertise as a customer to make sure the situation is handled properly.

Unfortunately I have just started my contract with EE and I have to say I'm not overly happy.

I hope this higher level engineer who is coming round tomorrow will be able to help. But I am not overly optimistic while EE and BT Openreach are each blaming the other. This argument is not really helpful given we all have ASD and have just moved house.

The link you have given is not overly helpful. Obviously already tried that - calling 150, many times. Why did you think it would be useful or not tried given what I've said in my posts?
    Last edited by deannatrois; 14-07-2017 at 12:55 AM.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 16th Jul 17, 6:43 AM
    • 4,848 Posts
    • 6,809 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 16th Jul 17, 6:43 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 6:43 AM
    Well the engineer came round on Friday.., he was exactly the same level of Openreach engineer who'd visited previously and could do nothing more. He talked to the previous engineer and wrote another report saying BT Wholesale needed to come round (he said it didn't matter if EE sent 20 Openreach engineers around, not one could solve the problem, only BT Wholesale could).

Apparently we are on a link that is too heavily used. We can only be moved to another link by a BT Wholesale engineer. I've been promised a visit by a Wholesale Engineer on Monday. If it isn't the right engineer i will be leaving EE after spending nearly three hours on the phone with them speaking to various people all of whom were very sorry but unable to help or understand that BT Openreach couldn't solve the problem. I have made that clear. I've also had my dongle data doubled without an increase in fees. But I don't care about that as much as I could. Once this is sorted I doubt I'll be using a tenth of the data.

It is a tad frustrating, wish I'd never signed up to get fibre from EE. Very bad move on my part. They just don't have the protocols to cope with the more technical problems that can occur.
    Last edited by deannatrois; 16-07-2017 at 6:47 AM.
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 16th Jul 17, 5:12 PM
    • 1,395 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 16th Jul 17, 5:12 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 5:12 PM
    I not sure if what you were told by the OR engineer is correct , or you have mis-understood what he or she said, but I would be amazed if you get a visit from a BTW engineer to a residential address, they are not responsible for 'domestic' type installations.
    If you were told the problem was that you were on a hot, over contended link, you would still get on line, it just would be slow, and outside peak periods, probably wouldn't be a noticeable problem.
    It may well be that your problem needs BTW to intervene, but if it's a capacity problem, it depends where that problem is, EE 'buy' a certain amount of bandwidth,(usually from BTW) if EE have too many customers on a particular EE 'link' , BTW don't just provide more capacity, EE would have to purchase more capacity, that's how some 'cheaper' providers make their business plan work, over providing capacity costs them money , and a hot link wouldn't stop you getting on line , it would just make your throughput of data slow at peak times.
    Who promised the visit by BTW ?, the OR engineer or EE ?, or did they mean a BTW engineer to visit the 'exchange' where the BTW 'equipment' is likely to be located
    Last edited by iniltous; 16-07-2017 at 5:16 PM.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 17th Jul 17, 9:54 AM
    • 4,848 Posts
    • 6,809 Thanks
    deannatrois
    Yes it was a BTW engineer to visit the exchange, rather than our home.

Guess what, we had an Openreach engineer turn up today. EE insist they requested an BTW engineer Perhaps that's why BT sent Openreach instead (if request was to visit home rather than exchange). Still trying to get right engineer to sort the problem out.

The router definitely has an amber blinking liight next to the internet sign, and has not been any different except when the Openreach engineer requested a BTW engineer change the link to BT supply. I don't know if I am using the right words there.
    Last edited by deannatrois; 17-07-2017 at 10:02 AM.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 19th Jul 17, 12:54 PM
    • 4,848 Posts
    • 6,809 Thanks
    deannatrois
    And another visit from BT Openreach (to my address) instead of BT Wholesale (to the exchange). Does anyone know how we can actually get a visit from a BT Wholesale engineer to the exchange? EE don't seem able to arrange it?

Last week we were told there was a special team dealing with this problem, then on Monday that a manager was deaing with it, making sure BT wholesale were being called out to the exchange. But no changes.

I am beyond exasperated.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 19th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    • 4,848 Posts
    • 6,809 Thanks
    deannatrois
    Given up. Changing to another supplier. Waiting for email to confirm I won't be charged.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 20th Jul 17, 9:10 AM
    • 9,849 Posts
    • 4,057 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Make sure of the no charge .
    Unless you move to Virgin your new ISP will still use the same system to go through to BT Openreach .

As you want better customer service suggest paying for it and using an ISP like Andrews and Andrews or ZEN.
    Last edited by JJ Egan; 20-07-2017 at 9:49 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

127Posts Today

1,960Users online

Martin's Twitter