Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 13th Jul 17, 1:22 AM
    • 7,388Posts
    • 5,242Thanks
    esuhl
    MalwareBytes 3 Premium -- freebies? opinions?
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:22 AM
    MalwareBytes 3 Premium -- freebies? opinions? 13th Jul 17 at 1:22 AM
    I've always used a combination of free security software on my PC. But recently every free antivirus I've tried has been bloated, result in huge startup delays, slowed web browsing, and generally irritated me!

I ended up hacking the registry to shreds to fix the issues that persisted after the antivirus/firewall software was removed... and went a bit too far. So now I have a completely clean installation of Windows 7. :-/

I went to download the free version of MalwareBytes and ended up with a free trial to of the premium edition of the new version 3.x software. I installed a program I know has an optional PUP in it, and MalwareBytes detected it at once -- just like an antivirus.

I had a quick google, and MalwareBytes claim that it is an "antivirus replacement"...

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/malwarebytes-news/2016/12/announcing-malwarebytes-3-0-a-next-generation-antivirus-replacement/

This blog post makes it clear that it is NOT an anti-virus, and that it focuses on blocking web-based malware, rather than scanning files on your system. (Even though it detected the program I already had on my hard drive?!?!)

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/192225-mbam-30-and-av-comparativesorg/#comment-1080896

Anyway... it seems rather good. There's no perceptible degradation of PC performance, the UI is straightforward...

As someone who never pays for any software (except Windows and Office) and uses free stuff... I'm seriously considering paying £30 a year for a subscription.

I just wondered what everyone else thinks of it, and... whether there are any freebies around?! I'm sure I heard of a free year's subscription being given away somewhere a while back. :-)
Page 1
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 13th Jul 17, 7:40 AM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 13th Jul 17, 7:40 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 7:40 AM
    I recently paid for Malwarebytes Premium, it doesn't seem to impact the boot time, there are some settings that you can adjust in the config that might help if it does.

Previously I just relied on the Win 10 a/v but recent issues with rogue website links (drive by malware) reported on several posts, prompted me to look at something (hopefully) more robust.

BTW, the free version of CCleaner (https://www.piriform.com/get-ccleaner) will clean up the registry quite safely and is easy to use.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 13th Jul 17, 7:51 AM
    • 31,401 Posts
    • 37,101 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 13th Jul 17, 7:51 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 7:51 AM
    Ccleaner has caused Registry corruption in the past , I've seen affected machines

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3y84al/can_someone_explain_why_ccleaner_has_gotten_such/
    Last edited by Browntoa; 13-07-2017 at 7:54 AM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 13th Jul 17, 8:41 AM
    • 596 Posts
    • 493 Thanks
    Sicard
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:41 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:41 AM
    I never touch the CCleaner reg cleaner as I've heard it busting some machines. All the other tools are fine. I use MBAM latest version free after turning down the persistent requests to pay. I also use Spybot S & D and Avast and Superantispyware all free and after scans rarely pick anything up nowadays.
    Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
    Isaac Asimov
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 13th Jul 17, 8:55 AM
    • 7,345 Posts
    • 4,742 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:55 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:55 AM
    I am using Malwarebytes 3 free version. Seems an improvement on v2. But I use Avira as a free antivirus so don't feel I need MB's live protection and allowed that to expire.

I do find CCleaner useful to manage my cookies; it clears all out but makes it easy to select the ones you want to keep. It does seem to be a powerful tool, though, so I stay clear of most of its other functions.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 13th Jul 17, 11:57 AM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:57 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:57 AM
    Ccleaner has caused Registry corruption in the past , I've seen affected machines
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    That's why Ccleaner prompts you to save a copy of the registry before running the routine on it.

I regularly clean the registry with it on a desktop and two laptops, in several years I've not had a single issue, but like all things computer related, a backup plan is a good one in case of problems.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 13th Jul 17, 12:05 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:05 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:05 PM
    I never touch the CCleaner reg cleaner as I've heard it busting some machines. All the other tools are fine. I use MBAM latest version free after turning down the persistent requests to pay. I also use Spybot S & D and Avast and Superantispyware all free and after scans rarely pick anything up nowadays.
    Originally posted by Sicard
    the thing with Superantispyware is that once it pick up issues it will not clean them all up until you upgrade to their paid version, which i got free through trialpay
    Last edited by angryparcel; 13-07-2017 at 3:15 PM.
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 13th Jul 17, 3:03 PM
    • 771 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    Terry98
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:03 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:03 PM
    I am using Malwarebytes 3 free version. .
    Originally posted by Biggles
    Is there any way of getting rid of daily pop up asking to upgrade to the paid version?
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 13th Jul 17, 4:09 PM
    • 7,345 Posts
    • 4,742 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:09 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:09 PM
    Is there any way of getting rid of daily pop up asking to upgrade to the paid version?
    Originally posted by Terry98
    Can't help, Terry, I've never got a pop-up. But it's only a 14-day trial, so I imagine they'll stop then?
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 13th Jul 17, 5:22 PM
    • 771 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    Terry98
    Can't help, Terry, I've never got a pop-up. But it's only a 14-day trial, so I imagine they'll stop then?
    Originally posted by Biggles
    No they will only stop if you buy the Premium.

If you go with the free version after 14 days they nag you every day to upgrade!
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 13th Jul 17, 9:30 PM
    • 7,388 Posts
    • 5,242 Thanks
    esuhl
    BTW, the free version of CCleaner (https://www.piriform.com/get-ccleaner) will clean up the registry quite safely and is easy to use.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    I was using the CCleaner registry cleaner to identify potential problems with software I'd removed. But I wouldn't consider it safe to remove registry entries without fully understanding what they do and why they exist.

Like anyone else, I modify the registry occasionally to alter system settings. But since XP was released, automated registry cleaners are generally not needed and can do more harm than good if you just accept the recommendations (although CCleaner is better than most).

And this is part of what has been driving me crazy about modern antiviruses (and the Comodo firewall)! I haven't had to hack my registry to restore the normal function of my PC after removing software since the days of Windows 98!

Is it just me? Why have all the free antiviruses around become so bloated and buggy that cause so many performance problems?!

Also, I don't think I've ever had an antivirus detect anything on my PC in over 20 years of owning one. My blocklists and script-blockers (and general caution) seem to work fine by themselves. So with the quasi-antivirus properties of this version of MalwareBytes... that sounds like more than enough security.

I've always found free alternatives, so it's weird to consider paying for MalwareBytes, but it seems to perform so well compared to a full antivirus.
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 14th Jul 17, 9:50 AM
    • 596 Posts
    • 493 Thanks
    Sicard
    No they will only stop if you buy the Premium.

If you go with the free version after 14 days they nag you every day to upgrade!
    Originally posted by Terry98
    That hasn't happened with me after the trial. Maybe you need to turn off notifications in W10.
    Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
    Isaac Asimov
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 14th Jul 17, 9:52 AM
    • 596 Posts
    • 493 Thanks
    Sicard
    the thing with Superantispyware is that once it pick up issues it will not clean them all up until you upgrade to their paid version, which i got free through trialpay
    Originally posted by angryparcel

Not on my free version. It cleans fine. Uninstall your version and install from here http://filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/
    Isaac Asimov
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 14th Jul 17, 12:24 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    Not on my free version. It cleans fine. Uninstall your version and install from here http://filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/
    the Pro version offers

Real-Time Blocking of threats! Prevent potentially harmful software (spyware, adware, worms, dialers, hijackers, keyloggers) from installing or re-installing.

while the free does not, so what is the point of just cleaning these threats, you want to block them

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

i dont need the free version i got the pro version for free through a trialpay offer
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 14th Jul 17, 2:02 PM
    • 771 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    Terry98
    That hasn't happened with me after the trial. Maybe you need to turn off notifications in W10.
    Thanks for that....I did not know you could turn notifications off.

I have found it now in the Action Centre/All Settings/ Notifications & Actions. I am little bit confused because it seems you can turn the whole lot off under 'Get Notifications from apps and other senders'or individually by app but for some reason Malwayebytes is not listed under the apps!
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 14th Jul 17, 3:57 PM
    • 7,345 Posts
    • 4,742 Thanks
    Biggles
    There are options to turn off notifications under Settings in the Malwarebytes Control Panel.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,006Posts Today

8,462Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin