Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • loey93
    • By loey93 12th Jul 17, 11:46 PM
    • 38Posts
    • 21Thanks
    loey93
    MBNA balance transfer
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:46 PM
    MBNA balance transfer 12th Jul 17 at 11:46 PM
    Hi everyone.

I have recently been accepted for a MBNA Platinum credit card. The idea was to balance transfer my current CC debt with Lloyds (£600.00) to MBNA as there current promotional offer is 0% for 30 months.

I haven't balance transferred just yet as I'm waiting for my card to come through so I can activate my account. In the meantime I have googled MBNA and I have seen extremely bad reviews!! I'm now really concerned and don't whether I should go ahead and continue with the balance transfer

I just wondered if anyone has used MBNA for balance transfer and what were your experiences etc??

I just don't know what to do now.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated
    Aiming to pay debts & save!
Page 1
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 13th Jul 17, 12:05 AM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 864 Thanks
    TheShape
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:05 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:05 AM
    I've never used MBNA for a balance transfer but have used them for Money Transfers and normal spending. Never had a problem and when I recently needed to sort out a small issue (of my own making) the customer service agent set himself some future dated tasks to complete and did so in an efficient and timely manner.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 13th Jul 17, 4:09 AM
    • 1,627 Posts
    • 988 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:09 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:09 AM
    MBNA are one of the biggest credit card companies in the country. They are known for generous limits. They may also be less forgiving if people break their terms than other companies. I've had their cards for many years and they still have a role to play for me.

Read your terms and conditions, know what you need to pay and when, and you'll be fine.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 13th Jul 17, 8:05 AM
    • 3,324 Posts
    • 1,765 Thanks
    MABLE
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:05 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:05 AM
    Hi everyone.

I have recently been accepted for a MBNA Platinum credit card. The idea was to balance transfer my current CC debt with Lloyds (£600.00) to MBNA as there current promotional offer is 0% for 30 months.

I haven't balance transferred just yet as I'm waiting for my card to come through so I can activate my account. In the meantime I have googled MBNA and I have seen extremely bad reviews!! I'm now really concerned and don't whether I should go ahead and continue with the balance transfer

I just wondered if anyone has used MBNA for balance transfer and what were your experiences etc??

I just don't know what to do now.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated
    Originally posted by loey93
    I have been with MBNA for a number of years and often do Money transfers and Balance transfers and never encountered any issues.

You probably find people who give them bad reviews are those who have not kept within the terms and conditions. My advice to you is make sure you have a DD in place because if you ever forget to pay on time then you are asking for trouble.

Keep within your credit limit and pay on time then you should have no issues.
    • theburningcat
    • By theburningcat 13th Jul 17, 9:42 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    theburningcat
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:42 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:42 AM
    I got one recently to transfer a few balances from other cards. The balance transfers I specified on the website somehow got lost (they were having tech problems that week apparently) so it was a good thing I called to follow up. The person I spoke to was very friendly and professional and didn't get into a mess with the fact there were a few (as I expect Santanduh would have).

He gave me the exact date that it would happen - and it happened on that date. He also gave me my statement and payment dates as for some reason they're not visible on new accounts. The website and app are really good too. So far, I'm much, much happier with MBNA than I was with Santanduh.

Also, if you're doing a BT and want to max the 0% deals, you probably won't have to speak to them very often
    Last edited by theburningcat; 13-07-2017 at 9:45 AM.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 13th Jul 17, 6:15 PM
    • 10,676 Posts
    • 6,975 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 13th Jul 17, 6:15 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 6:15 PM
    One issue might be that lloyds have just taken over mbna. In general you can't balance transfer between cards from the same provider, though whether they have been integrated yet I don't know, may not be the case.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 13th Jul 17, 8:10 PM
    • 3,324 Posts
    • 1,765 Thanks
    MABLE
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:10 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:10 PM
    One issue might be that lloyds have just taken over mbna. In general you can't balance transfer between cards from the same provider, though whether they have been integrated yet I don't know, may not be the case.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    As far as I am it will pose no problem. I know with Halifax cc's you can bt to a Lloyds cc even though part of the same group.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,481Posts Today

8,485Users online

Martin's Twitter