Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nanamags
    • By nanamags 12th Jul 17, 11:39 PM
    • 314Posts
    • 301Thanks
    nanamags
    Solar panels
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:39 PM
    Solar panels 12th Jul 17 at 11:39 PM
    I'm looking to change energy provider. I have solar panels will this make changing a problem?

Thanks
    Mags
    NA N A M A G S
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 13th Jul 17, 8:44 AM
    • 4,513 Posts
    • 2,693 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:44 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:44 AM
    I'm looking to change energy provider. I have solar panels will this make changing a problem?

Thanks
    Mags
    Originally posted by nanamags
    No. Your supply and generation contracts are separate. You can switch your supply contract at will. There is no need to switch your FIT contract.
    • pooch
    • By pooch 13th Jul 17, 10:05 AM
    • 716 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    pooch
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:05 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:05 AM

Thanks
    Mags
    Originally posted by nanamags

From the MSE Cheap Energy Club FAQs

I have solar panels - can I still switch my energy supply?

You can switch your gas and electricity energy supplier and this shouldn't affect the payments that you get from your existing feed-in tariff provider - it is obliged to continue making payments to you. You can do your switch as normal via Cheap Energy Club, or via any other switching site.

If you'd like to change your feed-in tariff provider, you'll need to arrange this with your chosen supplier - you can't do this through Cheap Energy Club.

The 'big six' energy companies (British Gas, EDF, E.on, Npower, Scottish Power and SSE) must pay a feed-in tariff to you if you generate renewable energy at home through your solar panels. Some smaller companies don't offer feed-in tariffs but to find out which ones do, please see Ofgem's website.

See our Solar Panels guide for more info.
    https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub/faq?
    Last edited by pooch; 13-07-2017 at 10:08 AM.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 13th Jul 17, 10:14 AM
    • 4,513 Posts
    • 2,693 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:14 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:14 AM
    To put the above advice into its proper context, there is no financial advantage to be made by switching FIT payers. FIT payers are just agents for the Government and your FIT rate was agreed at the time of registration. Many of the smaller suppliers - those that offer the cheapest deals - will not take on FIT contracts.
    Last edited by Hengus; 13-07-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

132Posts Today

1,545Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin