Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FreeMama17
    • By FreeMama17 12th Jul 17, 11:37 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    FreeMama17
    Need to tell Bank about mental health problems and am v scared
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:37 PM
    Need to tell Bank about mental health problems and am v scared 12th Jul 17 at 11:37 PM
    Hi,

OK. I'm thanking my lucky stars that this forum is anonymous.

Basically, when I moved from my last town to this one, I was getting so many phone calls from the bank that I just could not handle speaking to them and hearing their questions about when I would be able to get my business loan payments up to date. I had no income from my failing business, had given up my premises to have a baby, and was not really operating my business at all. However, I still had monthly loan repayments to keep up with, and I started robbing Peter to pay Paul, shuffling tiny amounts of money about between accounts to scrape together the £60 (yes, that was all i had to pay per month) to keep them off my back.

The loan will by now be in serious arrears.

When I moved here, I changed phone numbers and didn't inform the bank of my new address. I was mired in terrible stress, perpetual panic mode, snappy, suicidal, not sleeping well, feeling very ill and not myself at all.

Now I have found out that they might be sympathetic to my mental health problems, I want to contact them, citing my health as the reason why i stopped responding to them and why I have gone silent on them. I still have a current a/c with the same bank and they have my new address, so it seems odd that they are not making that connection, and aren't chasing me for the business a/c stuff.

Anyway, my paranoia is that as soon as I get in touch with them re: MH problems driving my total inability to face them or to do anything to resolve the problems, they will then have my address and will come down heavy with recovery/legal proceedings. (Terrified as I write this). It's like I want to just go to them and blurt it all out and have them hear me out and help me, but I feel like they will just be very very hard and stony with me and I will set off a domino effect with disastrous consequences. I'm absolutely petrified.

Do you think they would look on my case with any kindness?
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 13th Jul 17, 12:19 AM
    • 12,477 Posts
    • 11,867 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:19 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:19 AM
    Hi,

No need to be worried, mental health issues are taken into account when dealing with customers, how much do you owe, how long is it since you made any payments ?

I see you've lposted this in several places, best to keep just the one thread, otherwise it can get confusing.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 13th Jul 17, 12:22 AM
    • 4,851 Posts
    • 11,083 Thanks
    Money maker
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:22 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:22 AM
    Posted twice, can you merge please, sourcrates?
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 13th Jul 17, 12:26 AM
    • 12,477 Posts
    • 11,867 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:26 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:26 AM
    Posted twice, can you merge please, sourcrates?
    Originally posted by Money maker
    Can't as the "loans" board is not mine.
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• FreeMama17
    • By FreeMama17 13th Jul 17, 12:41 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    FreeMama17
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:41 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:41 AM
    Sorry, I can take the other post down. Hang on.
    • FreeMama17
    • By FreeMama17 13th Jul 17, 12:46 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    FreeMama17
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:46 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:46 AM
    No luck there, I can't seem to delete it. Maybe the admin could do so?
    • FreeMama17
    • By FreeMama17 13th Jul 17, 12:51 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    FreeMama17
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:51 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:51 AM
    As for how much I owe, I last made a payment in about May 2014 and I think the outstanding balance will be about £400. I think I only had a few months left to pay before it was all paid off.

Can I write to the bank asking for confirmation of where I stand? I am so scared, as I said, of them getting my new address. I'm just in a state of panic really, and have been burying my head in the sand.

I have very little income - stay-at-home mum with STBXH paying the bills and rent and me only having the Child Benefit to live on (£130 a month) - I have a history of anxiety and depression, and have been on the receiving end of emotional abuse and financial control/abuse in my marriage for 8 years. I'm awaiting assessment for Asperger's/Autism as well.

So messed up. I really would love to resolve this problem with the bank.
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 13th Jul 17, 1:01 AM
    • 17,025 Posts
    • 44,761 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:01 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:01 AM
    Have you asked your GP about the debt and mental heath form?Not entirely sure how it works (think the MSE guide to debt and MH explains it) but this may be of help to you.

https://images6.moneysavingexpert.com/images/documents/mentalhealthguide_new_may_2017.pdf?_ga=2.207343507 .1269786672.1499901846-611221033.1462996239

more info here:

http://malg.org.uk/useful-info/mental-health-and-debt-guidelines/

http://malg.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/DMHEF-V3-31.5.16.pdf
    "Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    weight lost: 1lbs
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 13th Jul 17, 7:32 AM
    • 12,477 Posts
    • 11,867 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 13th Jul 17, 7:32 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 7:32 AM
    As for how much I owe, I last made a payment in about May 2014 and I think the outstanding balance will be about £400.
    Originally posted by FreeMama17
    £400 ?

I thought you were going to say circa £40,000 !!!

Seriously, for such a small amount of money I wouldn't worry too much.

It's likely been sold to a debt collector by now who would probably settle for £200 !!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

189Posts Today

1,629Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin