Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gogirlgo
    • By gogirlgo 12th Jul 17, 10:53 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 0Thanks
    gogirlgo
    stain on frosted glass window
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:53 PM
    stain on frosted glass window 12th Jul 17 at 10:53 PM
    a painter has got zinsser shellac stain blocker on my frosted glass bathroom window. it has smeared and wont come off. i have tried everything except paint & varnish stripper and cellulose thinner. meths & white spirit dont work or vinigar. has anyone dealt with this problem before or got any ideas. it really has sunk into the glass.
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 12th Jul 17, 11:23 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 1,276 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:23 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:23 PM
    You need to use an alcohol as a solvent. Make sure the frame is well protected and find a way to allow alcohol to soak into the shellac, such as allowing alcohol-soaked tissue to stick to it. Then slowly rub it away. It may take a lot of repeating and patience if it's thick.
    • gogirlgo
    • By gogirlgo 13th Jul 17, 5:59 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gogirlgo
    • 13th Jul 17, 5:59 PM
    stained frosted glass
    • 13th Jul 17, 5:59 PM
    thank you but what exactly do i use? ive tried meths & acetone & white spirit. been at it all week!!!
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 13th Jul 17, 9:36 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 1,276 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:36 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:36 PM
    Isopropyl alcohol.

One caveat, though. You may have made it a harder task by trying other solvents on it. It's always a good idea to google or check with the manufacturer of the unwanted product as to the correct solvent to use. Trying out different products could chemically change the original problem, making it difficult to find a solvent to get rid of it. The tin of shellac will have the manufacturer's contact details and maybe even a helpline you could call.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 13th Jul 17, 10:25 PM
    • 11,600 Posts
    • 6,506 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:25 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:25 PM
    I would have said acetone, but given that you've tried it (it was pure acetone right?) I would next try Xylene.

BUT what you really need to do is repeatedly rinse, otherwise it'll just smear even more. On a window that's going to get very messy
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 13th Jul 17, 11:22 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 1,276 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:22 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:22 PM
    It needs to be alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol is the right solvent. Neither xylene or acetone are alcohols.
    • gogirlgo
    • By gogirlgo 14th Jul 17, 12:31 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gogirlgo
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:31 AM
    stained frosted glass window
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:31 AM
    where can i get this please? i have phoned zizsser and they said meths . i will get what you said but from where? thank you . i really at my wits end &dont want to replace glass as more hassle.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 14th Jul 17, 1:09 AM
    • 1,301 Posts
    • 1,857 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:09 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 1:09 AM
    One used to be able to buy meths and IPA (isopropyl alcohol) from chemists like Boots, but thanks to namby-pamby Big Brother, you can't. However, if you have an old fashioned hardware store in town, they may well stock both.

Failing that, there is always ebay - Great for all that stuff that has been banned from sale to the general public (including "fun" chemicals).

One word of caution - The dye used in meths can leave a slight purple stain.

Notice that B&Q, Toolstation, and Screwfix also sell meths - You can also get Zinsser B-I-N Brush Cleaner which contains (amongst other things) methanol and will remove shellac.
    Last edited by FreeBear; 14-07-2017 at 1:19 AM.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • gogirlgo
    • By gogirlgo 14th Jul 17, 6:07 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gogirlgo
    • 14th Jul 17, 6:07 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 6:07 PM
    thank you. ive spoken to the company and they said meths, then detol, then paint& varnish stripper like nitromore which i haven't tried yet. have found the isopropyl on amazon. impossible to buy from the high street. must have called every chemist in london! do you think it will work? the painters boss said he will replace the glass but thats another hassle as the outside will have to be painted & im on the second floor so no one wants to work off a ladder. if only the stupid painter had covered the glass but its done now.
    • gogirlgo
    • By gogirlgo 14th Jul 17, 6:08 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gogirlgo
    thank you. please read my reply to other post. meths didnt work.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 14th Jul 17, 6:36 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 1,276 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    The problem is that you've tried so many different chemicals on it, you can't be sure that what you're dealing with now is the same composition as the original spillage. Every one of those chemicals you've attacked it with may have reacted with it and formed new compound layers. You may end up with no alternative than to replace the glass.
    Last edited by Aylesbury Duck; 14-07-2017 at 6:49 PM.
    • gogirlgo
    • By gogirlgo 14th Jul 17, 6:42 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gogirlgo
    oh dear. guess i'll give it a try. nothing has made a difference so it may work. wish me luck & thank you. btw did you have this problem?
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 14th Jul 17, 6:52 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 1,276 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    It is worth a try. No, I haven't had the problem but I am a chemist! Whether it's an accident like yours, a stain on a carpet or clothes or similar sort of incident, it's always worth finding out what the correct solvent should be. Attacking spillages and stains with whatever is to hand might work, but it just might make the problem permanent or even worse. It's one of the reasons household products and DIY products have advice lines and contact details on them. The manufacturer knows the base of the chemical and therefore knows what the most appropriate solvent would be.
    • gogirlgo
    • By gogirlgo 14th Jul 17, 7:05 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gogirlgo
    the folk at zinsser are very nice but said soak the window in meths & that didnt work then the same with detol & no change either. the window man said cellulose thinners but zinsser said it wouldnt work then they said blackfriars paint & varnish remover but thats about £25 a tin or i could try nitromore. so they don't really know. ive ordered the alchol so if it doesnt work i can always drink it! i will soak the glass like you said. thank you so much
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 14th Jul 17, 7:39 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 1,276 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    the folk at zinsser are very nice but said soak the window in meths & that didnt work then the same with detol & no change either. the window man said cellulose thinners but zinsser said it wouldnt work then they said blackfriars paint & varnish remover but thats about £25 a tin or i could try nitromore. so they don't really know. ive ordered the alchol so if it doesnt work i can always drink it! i will soak the glass like you said. thank you so much
    Originally posted by gogirlgo
    i assume you are joking, but in case you're not, please don't drink it...

As for the rest of their advice, in their defence they don't know what the chemical on the glass is any more, now it's been attacked by the contents of your shed and kitchen cupboard. :-)
    • gogirlgo
    • By gogirlgo 15th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gogirlgo
    yes. of course im only joking!! thanks
    • gogirlgo
    • By gogirlgo 21st Jul 17, 2:17 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gogirlgo
    sadly the isopropyl didn't work. going to try cellulose thinners then paint stripper then a new window. i need a new set of nails.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 21st Jul 17, 8:38 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 1,276 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    That's a shame. I'm sure that the chemical composition of the original mark has changed then. You may simply have to bite the bullet and get new glass fitted ☹️
    • missile
    • By missile 22nd Jul 17, 12:30 AM
    • 8,943 Posts
    • 4,335 Thanks
    missile
    I would try a sharp Stanley blade, like that used to clean ceramic hob.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 22nd Jul 17, 9:15 AM
    • 1,250 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    firefox1956
    Tell your painter to remove it at his cost.
    Or replace the glass at his cost.
    Why should you be doing anything at all ??
    It's his problem.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

112Posts Today

2,188Users online

Martin's Twitter