Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RainbowLaura
    • By RainbowLaura 12th Jul 17, 9:57 PM
    • 140Posts
    • 14Thanks
    RainbowLaura
    My fault, the bathroom fitter's fault or just being picky?
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:57 PM
    My fault, the bathroom fitter's fault or just being picky? 12th Jul 17 at 9:57 PM
    I had a new shower done in December (including tiling, tray, door etc). The silicone is already a bit of a mess where the tiles meet the tray, it seems to be coming off... excuse the awful picture quality, but hopefully these three images will give an idea:

It is really in a couple of specific areas rather than all the way around, and it looks fine from a distance. It's only when I crouch down and really look that I can see the problem. The pics make it look worse than it is.

I'm not sure this is due to a poor job or my excessive cleaning (I've been desperate to keep it free of mould so tend to squeegee all the way down, including the silicone... may have damaged it).

It clearly needs to be done again but I'm unsure whether I should get the fitter back and ask them to do a better job or pay to get someone else to do it. Also, the tray has upstands all the way around so am I right in thinking it's not *too* urgent?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated
    Last edited by RainbowLaura; 12-07-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Page 1
    • Furts
    • By Furts 13th Jul 17, 6:07 AM
    • 3,505 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    Furts
    • 13th Jul 17, 6:07 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 6:07 AM
    It looks like shrinkage - the studwork has dried, or the tray settled, or whatever. I would not worry about it. It may be exacerbated by your cleaning - indeed it could all be caused by your cleaning.

The silicone sealing does not look a fantastic job, but you could easily make it good with a tube and a skeleton gun. Also go easy on your cleaning - remember this is a wafer thin piece of soft sealant and going at it in a heavy handed manner will cause damage.

You could give the fitters a call - they may call by and make it good, but it is a very minor issue and may not be their fault.
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 13th Jul 17, 3:07 PM
    • 3,130 Posts
    • 3,821 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:07 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:07 PM
    You could give the fitters a call - they may call by and make it good, but it is a very minor issue and may not be their fault.
    Originally posted by Furts
    I would say its the cleaning.

Looks like the squeegee has pinched the edge and pulled it away, I know, as its very similar to an issue I had with an over enthusiastic wife.

OP, learn to fix it your self (it should be changed every 12-24 months anyway, and next time don't clean across the edge, if you need too squeegee up to the silicon and use a hand towel to dry the silicon by gently rubbing along the length of it.
    • RainbowLaura
    • By RainbowLaura 13th Jul 17, 7:15 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    RainbowLaura
    • 13th Jul 17, 7:15 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 7:15 PM
    Thank you both. I wouldn't dare have a go myself even though it is probably easy for most people. I seem to make a mess of everything I attempt when it comes to DIY! I think it would be fair to pay someone to come and re-do it and then be more careful with the cleaning in future
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,009Posts Today

6,436Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin