Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rwgs
    • By rwgs 12th Jul 17, 9:45 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    rwgs
    Nationwide account "glitch" with random stranger
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:45 PM
    Nationwide account "glitch" with random stranger 12th Jul 17 at 9:45 PM
    So long story short, Nationwide's online banking "outage" last week appears to have caused my account to have been merged with someone completely random. Whether it was just a coincidence it happened then or another technical problem, or was perhaps human error I still don't know.

The first I knew of it was when the outage had been resolved and I still couldn't login to internet banking. I called up and couldn't pass security as they were unable to verify my details. They couldn't tell me why and it wasn't until I went into branch to show proof of ID, that I then found out what the problem was. My account was merged into a complete stranger's account (who I now know the full name of) for some unknown reason. All my accounts are ok, and the accounts have been locked to prevent internet access, and my cards all still work, but it is frustrating not having access to something I use regularly.

So far, they are being next to useless and apparently have 56 days to resolve, but I am not willing to wait that long. I am chasing them constantly for answers as to what happened, but am still waiting. I have been without access to the account for well over a week now.

Any advise here - has this ever happened to anybody else? What are my options for escalation/compensation etc?
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 12th Jul 17, 9:56 PM
    • 31,871 Posts
    • 37,587 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:56 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:56 PM
    Compensation for what ?

You have not suffered a financial loss

Banking regulations give them 56 days to resolve complaints so very little you can do
    Last edited by Browntoa; 12-07-2017 at 9:58 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 12th Jul 17, 10:16 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 421 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:16 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:16 PM
    Compensation for what?
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    The inconvenience of being locked out of internet banking, having his accounts frozen, and having to make a trip to branch to discover this, plus forseeable inconvenience in the near future if Nationwide takes the maximum 56 days to resolve the issue. Presumably.
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • rwgs
    • By rwgs 12th Jul 17, 10:20 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    rwgs
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:20 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:20 PM
    As above, and there is also the massive security implication. Fraud happens this way. In this case I caught it early, but if I hadn't then the 3rd party would or even may have had access to all of my accounts and details. Having to go branch to resolve was a pain as well.

If I had been out of the country, and lost access to my accounts with no way to prove identity, it would be even worse. Would they have paid for a plane ticket home just so I could get access to my money again?

I know this is all theoretical, but in this case I got off lightly, and of course what's to stop it from happening again, to anyone for that matter?
    • MrJones1
    • By MrJones1 13th Jul 17, 12:05 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    MrJones1
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:05 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:05 AM
    What you describe is really terrifying. The 3rd party could have had access to your account and details. There's not much of help that you have got from the bank. In accordance to the banking regulations, which has been pointed out by @Browntoa, they have up to 56 days to resolve complaints. A long time indeed. If you don't feel that their system is secure, because how could a "glitch" like this happen, you should switch bank.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 13th Jul 17, 8:02 AM
    • 31,871 Posts
    • 37,587 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:02 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:02 AM
    I've used nationwide online banking for many years without issue

I'm assuming they had some sort of system failure the other day when they went off air causing a data corruption for your account (not seen any other reports)

Your account is locked so nobody can access it , as long as your scheduled payments go out on time , your balance was not affected and you can still access money via ATM or card payment then you MAY get a small goodwill payment .
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Chino
    • By Chino 13th Jul 17, 9:19 AM
    • 400 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    Chino
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:19 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:19 AM
    I've used nationwide online banking for many years without issue
    How is this relevant to the OP's problem?
    I'm assuming they had some sort of system failure the other day when they went off air causing a data corruption for your account
    You think?
    • societys child
    • By societys child 13th Jul 17, 10:22 AM
    • 4,809 Posts
    • 5,236 Thanks
    societys child
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:22 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:22 AM

If I had been out of the country, and lost access to my accounts with no way to prove identity, it would be even worse. Would they have paid for a plane ticket home just so I could get access to my money again?

But you weren't out of the country so nothing like that happened. You can't claim compensation for something that didn't happen.

I know this is all theoretical, but in this case I got off lightly, and of course what's to stop it from happening again, to anyone for that matter?
    Originally posted by rwgs
    Theoretical indeed.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,387Posts Today

8,404Users online

Martin's Twitter