Virgin connection is faulty, should I switch to BT/EE at lower speed?

Hi,

I could use some advice here - I am on day 9 with no broadband, phone and television service from virgin media. An engineer came two days ago but couldn't fix it. I am now waiting for a senior technician, who's apparently coming in three days.

This is the seventh time I've lost all service while living at this address over the last three years. On the previous occasions the problems have also been in the street box. It seems there is something wrong that is just getting a temporary fix and not being repaired properly or replaced. Each time I've waited at least a week for my connection to resume, and one time it was three weeks.

I won't go into all the reasons why this is messing up my life (got kids, trying to study for a degree etc) but the biggest problem is that I get no mobile signal in my house, so am reliant on wifi calling. I am unable to make phone calls at all right now, I'm just hoping I don't have an emergency.

So I'm seriously thinking about switching. It's just that we'd get much slower broadband through BT/ openreach providers. They estimate i could get 60mbps download speed, but with virgin I'm on the 200mbps package (not sure if I'm actually getting anything that fast though. Can't check right now:(. We have a lot of gadgets, and stream/play games on more than one device at at time. On the other hand, I'm paying £90 a month for regular frustration. I'd love to ditch them just for the satisfaction.

So would you switch? Would I just be swapping one problem (unreliable connection) for another (Slower speed)? Or is 60mbps plenty fast enough for a family who stream and game a lot.?

Thanks for reading, would really appreciate any advice!

Comments

• lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    60meg is enough bandwidth to stream around 18-20 BBC Iplayer shows in HD, all at the same time.

It's still a lot of bandwidth and sounds like it should be plenty for your needs.

Headline speeds aren't the be all and end all.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Key question is how long left on your VM contracts . Dont want to switch if you are going to have to pay the contract off .
  • Thanks to both of you. It's reassuring to hear that I'll still do ok at the lower speed. And I'm pretty sure I'm out of contract., although I accepted their speed boost a few months ago. I've got to go to my mums to make some calls today so I'll double check.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Nobody is EVER 'out of contract'. A minimum term is a possibility - but just ensure you flag up the inferior service, as this will trigger rebate for service loss and possibly a goodwill payment. I've had 5 outages (in 18 years) and they've always been responsible. I'd not change to an inferior kludge - use a mobile MiFi as a backup.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 July 2017 at 12:00PM
    Amazing, you just pick up the technicalities about contracts and minimum term contract.

But don't read the key parts of the post

but the biggest problem is that I get no mobile signal in my house
    Buzby wrote: »
    use a mobile MiFi as a backup.

If you are out of your minimum term contract (i.e haven't had a price reduction or service change in the last 12 months, as a rough guide) then yes, move to EE.
  • Thanks, I am hoping that by agreeing to a speed boost a free months ago I didn't put myself back under a contract. The virgin guy on the online chat said he didn't"think" i was, but to call and check. Cant do that right now of course!

Just wondering if I'm under contract, can I use the recurring faults as a get out? If not, I'll at least be able to negotiate a better price for now, then wait it out.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    you should be ok with the "free" speed increase (although I didn't risk accepting one as I knew I was going to leave).

Asking them will give them the op-unity to say it does matter (and lie).

Maybe phoning them, complaining about the poor service, and stating you want to leave, and see where it goes.

Trouble is.

1) They might offer you a discount and put you back in min term contract, which you don't want.

2) If you really want to leave, you need to call EE to start the process off/number transfer and exit costs won't be understood
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Justqus wrote: »
    although I accepted their speed boost a few months ago.
    They got you. It's the VM business model - keep everybody within their minimmn term by offering speeds boosts, minimal discounts, package changes, or there was a Y in the day you last called them

They'll give you a rebate on the lost service but don't bank on any get out of jail free without one hell of a fight.

IMO they are an appalling company.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport