Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Takshaka
    • By Takshaka 12th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Takshaka
    New home, old boiler
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    New home, old boiler 12th Jul 17 at 8:44 PM
    I have just bought my first house and I am wondering whether the boiler needs replacing in the near future. It appears to be functioning correctly but is probably about 10 years old. The previous owner provided a recent Gas Safety Certificate. I have a British Gas heating adviser visiting tomorrow who I hope will give me some useful info although I know that the main purpose will be to sell me an overpriced financed boiler.
    What are my other options for getting (impartial) advice on the life expectancy and current efficiency of the boiler? Are there any telltale signs I can look for myself?
    Thanks
Page 1
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 12th Jul 17, 8:50 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:50 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:50 PM
    Do you know the make and model of your boiler?
    • J B
    • By J B 12th Jul 17, 8:54 PM
    • 2,204 Posts
    • 706 Thanks
    J B
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:54 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:54 PM
    Ain't broke = don't fix?
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 12th Jul 17, 11:15 PM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 1,059 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:15 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:15 PM
    Flip a coin on boiler lifespan; hope for the best, save for the worst.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 12th Jul 17, 11:29 PM
    • 2,742 Posts
    • 4,248 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:29 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:29 PM
    I'd get a reputable independent person to check/ service it once a year.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 13th Jul 17, 12:00 PM
    • 23,680 Posts
    • 50,289 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:00 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:00 PM
    10 isn't old for a boiler. Both of my previous ones have lasted double that and more. Keep it regularly serviced. I certainly wouldn't consider replacing a boiler of any age that was doing its job.
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 13th Jul 17, 12:07 PM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 6,362 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:07 PM
    New home, old boiler
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:07 PM
    I know the feeling.

I have a new home but still have the same old boiler.

I suppose I could divorce her but she has her good points and she does keep the house clean and tidy.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 13th Jul 17, 12:14 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:14 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:14 PM
    I would think 15 years is a good age for a boiler. Combi I assume?

Get an insurance and get it regularly service.

A new decent boiler is going to be in the range of £600- £1000 top end I would think but its the labour involved that can push the price up. Depends on any pipework that may need changing. Are you planning for a new kitchen in the future. That is an ideal time to change it?
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 13th Jul 17, 12:29 PM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 1,059 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:29 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:29 PM
    Don't get insurance, just put money aside; breakdown plans for boilers are a complete scam.
    • stator
    • By stator 13th Jul 17, 12:35 PM
    • 5,610 Posts
    • 3,575 Thanks
    stator
    Assuming it's a condensing boiler, which it should be given the age you indicate, then there's no reason to replace it until it breaks. If money is tight then start saving, but a like-for-like boiler replacement isn't THAT expensive.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • zoothornrollo
    • By zoothornrollo 13th Jul 17, 12:36 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    zoothornrollo
    Ain't broke = don't fix?
    Originally posted by J B
    This

It's probably no more likely to break down than most new condensing boilers
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 13th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Don't get insurance, just put money aside; breakdown plans for boilers are a complete scam.
    Originally posted by Grenage

Someone once said that to me at work.............until I had a leak I could not find and had to use BG leak detection team. Saved me about £700 plus. Try finding a company that even wants to do it.

I have used the drain cover about 3 times and the electrical about 3 also.

I reckon I get most of my money back with the service and repairs over the years. Not including the peace of mind.
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 13-07-2017 at 12:48 PM.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 13th Jul 17, 12:57 PM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 1,059 Thanks
    Grenage
    There's always an example of such, but on the whole, insurance plans obviously favour the insurers.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 13th Jul 17, 1:07 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    My washer/dryer needs an engineer nearly every year. We have had different brands for the last 20 years.

Its not just about if we all get out money back. Its the one call, next day repair. No cowboys and rip of bills.

I and many others are happy for the peace of mind to be honest......that's means more to me than a few pounds saved.

Wrote the fridge freezer off 2 months back...........I had broken the door by allowing it to slam back on the hinges...............brand new one with D&G.

Would cost about £75 just to have the boiler serviced...........works for me.
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 13-07-2017 at 1:11 PM.
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 14th Jul 17, 6:43 AM
    • 666 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    Apodemus
    My washer/dryer needs an engineer nearly every year. We have had different brands for the last 20 years.
    Originally posted by scd3scd4
    I've had the one washer for 17 years, with no need for an engineer, what are you doing to the poor machine?!

Wrote the fridge freezer off 2 months back...I had broken the door....
    Originally posted by scd3scd4
    Ah, that explains it...and why I won't pay for insurances on any of my appliances etc!
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 14th Jul 17, 9:02 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    I've had the one washer for 17 years, with no need for an engineer, what are you doing to the poor machine?!
    Washer/dryers are a different animal to a washing machine and have a reputation to be more unreliable due to there dual roles.

Ah, that explains it...and why I won't pay for insurances on any of my appliances etc!

Really................all them cars having accidents and claiming a. Don't you be wasting your money on house or building insurance either. Its no different. Having one product accidently broken in 28 years of marriage is not bad in my book. Pay, dont pay. It works just loverly for me. ;-]
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 14-07-2017 at 4:22 PM.
    • Niv
    • By Niv 14th Jul 17, 9:30 AM
    • 1,495 Posts
    • 1,307 Thanks
    Niv
    I have just bought my first house and I am wondering whether the boiler needs replacing in the near future. It appears to be functioning correctly but is probably about 10 years old.That is not old, the boiler in my previous house was over 35years old and still going strong! The previous owner provided a recent Gas Safety Certificate. I have a British Gas heating adviser visiting tomorrow Warm your wallet up now! who I hope will give me some useful info although I know that the main purpose will be to sell me an overpriced financed boiler.
    What are my other options for getting (impartial) advice on the life expectancy and current efficiency of the boiler? Are there any telltale signs I can look for myself?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Takshaka

And before you start on the line of upgrading your boiler because its more efficient consider this. A back boiler could be up to 80% efficient a combi boiler could be up to 90%. That's a 10% difference. Work out cost of new boiler, work out cost of 10% of your gas bill and calculate how long it will take that boiler to break even. How long would you expect a combi to last? 10 -15years with repairs in between..
    YNWA

Mortgage free by 58.
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 14th Jul 17, 10:01 AM
    • 312 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Alex1983
    No one can tell a lot with knowing the make and model of the boiler, I've serviced 30-40 year old boilers that still work fine and look in good condition, although use a lot more gas, they have cast iron heat exchanger and next to no other parts which is why it lasted the time.

I've serviced 10 year old modern boilers that are hanging and need changing.

If you have a ideal isar it may need changing if you had a ideal classic it'll be fine now one can say without knowing what boiler you have before anyone can give advice from your guess of 10 years old.

Energy saving on new boilers depends on what sort of house you live in and what boiler you have. A 30 year old boiler would be around 65% efficiency at best a new a rated condensing boiler is closer to 95% which roughly equates to a saving of £30 for every £100 you spend. A ten year old non condensing boiler in a flat would save you next to nothing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,339Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin