Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 12th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    • 59Posts
    • 0Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    Refusing to accept a cheque
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    Refusing to accept a cheque 12th Jul 17 at 8:42 PM
    Went into Nationwide yesterday with a Nationwide cheque to pay my TSB credit card. Was told they would not accept a cheque, so ended up crossing out the payee and paying it into a Barclays account, to then pay my credit card with a Barclays cheue!

Was told by the Nationwide Branch Manager, the reason they couldn't accept a cheque was that they were a building society and not a bank? The Manager in Barclays was as confused as me. Can anyone explain how a building society differs from a bank in this instance please?
Page 2
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 14th Jul 17, 4:52 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    Sometimes it is nice to do things that involve people rather than machines.
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 14th Jul 17, 4:57 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    Yes, but you have to ask why are these closures happening? Surely in part to less people paying in cheques?

Which is why I asked to speak to the Manager. He should pass customer feedback to head office.
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 14th Jul 17, 4:58 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    Really? I will have to look into this as I have just opened a Barclays account.
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 14th Jul 17, 5:09 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    Looking at the link I assume the previous poster was referring to the pilot scheme?
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 14th Jul 17, 9:07 AM
    • 3,041 Posts
    • 3,156 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    Sometimes it is nice to do things that involve people rather than machines.
    Originally posted by keef-WhatStandards
    It's a waste of everyone's time, money and effort for absolutely no benefit though, regardless of how "nice" it is.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • takman
    • By takman 14th Jul 17, 9:20 AM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 2,354 Thanks
    takman
    Staff either don't understand that more machine use will mean they eventually lose their job or they are given some insentive to get customers to use the machines.
    It's neither of those reasons, they promote use of the machines because that is what they are paid to do. If they started promoting use of the counters and discouraging use of the machines that would be the quickest way to loose their job!.

Industries and jobs change over time as progress is made. There is no reason that all banking can't be done online and by telephone and that is how it will be in the future.
    There is no benefit in doing it in branch and it just wastes your time. I have absolutely no interest in visiting a branch when I could be doing much more productive or entertaining things.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 14th Jul 17, 9:31 AM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 7,151 Thanks
    NBLondon
    The question that springs to my mind is "Why doesn't Keef takes his Nationwide cheque (payable to TSB) to a TSB branch?" The likely answer is that TSB don't have a branch anywhere convenient...

Why not post the cheque to TSB? (I haven't got my bill handy but I'm sure that's still an option).

I'm also surprised that Barclays accepted a cheque where the payee had been changed
    This Be the Verse - Philip Larkin. The first line that everyone knows.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Jul 17, 10:19 AM
    • 18,712 Posts
    • 9,969 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    It's neither of those reasons, they promote use of the machines because that is what they are paid to do. If they started promoting use of the counters and discouraging use of the machines that would be the quickest way to lose their job!.
    Originally posted by takman
    Exactly.
    The branch teams fully understand that their jobs are precarious and they are also fully aware that what branches remain operate on skeleton staffing levels compared to the past. It's only natural that they promote use of the ATMs, especially during peak periods.

It's just a matter of time before staffed branches (other than perhaps a city centre presence) become a thing of the past.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 14th Jul 17, 11:06 AM
    • 3,324 Posts
    • 1,765 Thanks
    MABLE
    Why would you want to pay your credit card bill with a cheque anyway?
    Originally posted by JuicyJesus
    Because he likes to do things the old fashioned way. You remember the customer who would in the supermarket hold the queue up whilst the filled out the counterfoil of the cheque.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 14th Jul 17, 12:07 PM
    • 4,260 Posts
    • 5,469 Thanks
    jack_pott
    It's a waste of everyone's time, money and effort for absolutely no benefit though, regardless of how "nice" it is.
    Originally posted by JuicyJesus
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38389862
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 14th Jul 17, 1:07 PM
    • 3,842 Posts
    • 13,999 Thanks
    Westie983
    Yes, but I had already written the cheque, well two actually; the other to pay my Halifax credit card, out. Just annoyed that they wouldn't accept a Nationwide cheque in a Nationwide branch.
    This would be because you were paying a TSB credit card.

If you had been in TSB to pay their credit card with a Nationwide cheque that would have been accepted, the same goes for Halifax paying their card with a nationwide cheque.

That said they could have set up a faster payment from your current account to pay both TSB and Halifax credit cards, if you had enough money in your account while the cheques were clearing in your Nationwide account, as they would have replaced the payments made to the credit cards.

Many banks only accept bill payments for their own cards payable by cheques any other bills need to be set up as a payment or paid via the post office..

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2017 #16 Total £22,555/£12,000 = 187.95%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (£410) + £0.00/£800 = 51.25% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2017 £1 a Day #6 Total £400/£365 = 109.58%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total £1,600/£1,800 = 88.88%
    £2 Savers Club 2017 #3 Total (£1,450)+£50/£2,000 = 75.00%

Total £26,465/£16,965 = 155.99%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 14th Jul 17, 6:33 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    Previous; meaning the person not the post before.
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 14th Jul 17, 6:38 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    Yes, far better to let all the banks branches disappear and then nobody's time would be wasted. Hang on though where would all the unemployed bank staff collect their giros?
    Last edited by keef-WhatStandards; 14-07-2017 at 8:54 PM.
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 14th Jul 17, 6:45 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    I don't follow your logic re jobs.

Perhaps I am kidding myself, but do like to do my bit to keep branches open.

I would add that I do most of my banking online.
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 14th Jul 17, 6:56 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    One day TSB joined with Lloyds, the next they split up again and LlyodsTSB branches became either Lloyds or TSB. Guess what Lloyds would deal with TSB customers and TSB wasn't interested in Lloyds ones.

As I have a Nationwide account I thought I would make use of their facilities. Liitle did I know they don't offer those that they used to.

It is perfectly OK to change the payee on a cheque as long as you sign or initial the change, or at least it used to be. TBH I don't think anyone looks at cheques anymore anyway, so you could probably put Bigears as a payee and it would just go through the system.
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 14th Jul 17, 6:59 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    Sad in many ways, but I think you are right.

I still haven't investigated that cheque imaging thing, but once cheques are out of it there is very little need for branches for a lot of people.
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 14th Jul 17, 7:01 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    Of course it is far better to have no human contact at all, especially if it involves queues. Far better to deal only with machines. Have you seen the Terminator films?
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 14th Jul 17, 7:04 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    LOL.

The big question is would JJ find a compatible robot.
    • takman
    • By takman 14th Jul 17, 8:37 PM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 2,354 Thanks
    takman
    Yes, far better to let all the banks branches disappear and then nobody's time would be wasted. Hang on though were would all the unemployed bank staff collect their giros?
    Don't worry unemployment benefits are paid directly into peoples accounts these days .

Perhaps I am kidding myself, but do like to do my bit to keep branches open.

I would add that I do most of my banking online.
    Branches are expensive to run and Cheques are expensive for banks to process. So if a branch is used by people going in there and paying in Cheques then that is a big cost for the bank and i'm sure they would be willing to loose expensive customers like you when deciding if they want to close a branch or not.

Also you should press the "Quote" button when replying to a post or atleast type the persons username because i'm not 100% sure which reply is in response to which post.
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 14th Jul 17, 8:52 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    Don't worry unemployment benefits are paid directly into peoples accounts these days .

Will there be such a thing as accounts in the future I wonder?

Branches are expensive to run and Cheques are expensive for banks to process. So if a branch is used by people going in there and paying in Cheques then that is a big cost for the bank and i'm sure they would be willing to loose expensive customers like you when deciding if they want to close a branch or not.

It would appear so. As usual companies advertising services which they don't actually provide. What is the point of branches at all (now there apparently is the facility to pay images of cheques in online) I wonder?

Also you should press the "Quote" button when replying to a post or atleast type the persons username because i'm not 100% sure which reply is in response to which post.
    Originally posted by takman
    I was wondering how people got other posters comment s up. You would think the system would link a reply to a post somehow.
    Last edited by keef-WhatStandards; 14-07-2017 at 8:55 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

2,063Users online

Martin's Twitter