Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 12th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    • 59Posts
    • 0Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    Refusing to accept a cheque
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    Refusing to accept a cheque 12th Jul 17 at 8:42 PM
    Went into Nationwide yesterday with a Nationwide cheque to pay my TSB credit card. Was told they would not accept a cheque, so ended up crossing out the payee and paying it into a Barclays account, to then pay my credit card with a Barclays cheue!

Was told by the Nationwide Branch Manager, the reason they couldn't accept a cheque was that they were a building society and not a bank? The Manager in Barclays was as confused as me. Can anyone explain how a building society differs from a bank in this instance please?
Page 1
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 12th Jul 17, 9:15 PM
    • 15,024 Posts
    • 21,345 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:15 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:15 PM
    Went into Nationwide yesterday with a Nationwide cheque to pay my TSB credit card. Was told they would not accept a cheque, so ended up crossing out the payee and paying it into a Barclays account, to then pay my credit card with a Barclays cheue!

Was told by the Nationwide Branch Manager, the reason they couldn't accept a cheque was that they were a building society and not a bank? The Manager in Barclays was as confused as me. Can anyone explain how a building society differs from a bank in this instance please?
    Originally posted by keef-WhatStandards
    Don't know for certain. Probably because (not being a bank) Nationwide don't do Bank Giro Credits. But then it seems that, "not all banks provide bill paying services" anyway. So it might well simply be that the Nationwide doesn't either.

https://www.chequeandcredit.co.uk/information-hub/faqs/credit-clearing-and-bank-giro-credits

I'd have thought that the best thing would be to register for internet banking with the Nationwide. Then you don't have to faff about going into branches with bits of paper. Just do a faster payment. Or set up a DD for your TSB credit card. Then you don't have to do anything.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 12th Jul 17, 9:41 PM
    • 3,438 Posts
    • 2,584 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:41 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:41 PM
    according to this they do accept cheques unless a foreign one.
    http://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/payments-and-transfers/cash-cards-and-cheques/cheques
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 12th Jul 17, 10:11 PM
    • 537 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:11 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:11 PM
    It was probably an (un?)official policy decision.

Make life easier for yourself, set up a Direct Debit or failing that pay via internet banking.
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 12th Jul 17, 10:48 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:48 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:48 PM
    Thanks for the link.

I do have Internet banking set up, but sometimes I like to do things the old fashioned way: the High Street is only at the end of my road.

I've set up a DD now, but couldn't see how to do this on my Internet banking. At least you can message Nationwide and they are quite responsive.
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 12th Jul 17, 10:51 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:51 PM
    Same response from Nationwide online, so I assume it *is* official.

DD setup now. Internet banking is all very well, but you still can't pay cheques in online.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 12th Jul 17, 10:51 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 1,032 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    The branch staff could have set up an electronic payment and paid the bill for you.

nline-payment">http://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/payments-and-transfers/one-off-payment/single-payment#xtabnline-payment

Once the payment has been set up you can pay it online, or using the app, or through Nationwide's own ATMs. This last facility is very useful for people who want the convenience of electronic banking but who don't want to do it online.
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 12th Jul 17, 10:54 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:54 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:54 PM
    Yes, but I had already written the cheque, well two actually; the other to pay my Halifax credit card, out. Just annoyed that they wouldn't accept a Nationwide cheque in a Nationwide branch.
    Last edited by keef-WhatStandards; 12-07-2017 at 10:56 PM.
    • MrsWenger
    • By MrsWenger 13th Jul 17, 1:46 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    MrsWenger
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:46 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:46 PM
    Somewhat off topic but we recently had a situation where Nationwide branch staff gave us a lecture about paying cash in over the counter. The assistant told us she "would do it on a goodwill basis on this occasion" but in future we needed to do it via the ATM. Apparently, this is because we have a Flexdirect account "that we get 5% on" which is not correct as it is past the first year of interest at that rate. We will just pay it in elsewhere in future. If I worked in a bank or building society branch I think I would want as many people to use the branch as possible given the wide scale branch closures over the last few years...
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 13th Jul 17, 1:59 PM
    • 4,034 Posts
    • 1,234 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    The cheque payment isn't the main issue but bill payment (Bank Giro Credit) - they withdrew that facility some time ago (they paid a bank to process them on their behalf)

They probably don't want the admin related to 3rd party cheques bouncing either.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 13th Jul 17, 2:58 PM
    • 6,674 Posts
    • 8,198 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    The cheque payment isn't the main issue but bill payment (Bank Giro Credit) - they withdrew that facility some time ago (they paid a bank to process them on their behalf)

They probably don't want the admin related to 3rd party cheques bouncing either.
    Originally posted by Heng Leng
    Exactly the issue.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 13th Jul 17, 5:26 PM
    • 2,894 Posts
    • 2,972 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    Why would you want to pay your credit card bill with a cheque anyway?
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 13th Jul 17, 5:36 PM
    • 19,023 Posts
    • 9,146 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I do have Internet banking set up, but sometimes I like to do things the old fashioned way
    With the closure of numerous bank branches, the "old fashioned way" will imminently become less and less available to you. Keep your cheque book for payments to individuals, but remember that it's an antiquated payment method which is no longer encouraged.

If I worked in a bank or building society branch I think I would want as many people to use the branch as possible given the wide scale branch closures over the last few years...
    Originally posted by MrsWenger
    The front end staff don't make such policy decisions, of course, so any staff member regularly making such "goodwill" acceptance of cash over the counter in the manner you requested could easily face disciplinary action (making possible branch closures irrelevant).
    • takman
    • By takman 13th Jul 17, 5:59 PM
    • 2,470 Posts
    • 2,057 Thanks
    takman
    Same response from Nationwide online, so I assume it *is* official.

DD setup now. Internet banking is all very well, but you still can't pay cheques in online.
    You can if you bank with Barclays
    • Luckystar
    • By Luckystar 13th Jul 17, 8:23 PM
    • 952 Posts
    • 3,519 Thanks
    Luckystar
    Somewhat off topic but we recently had a situation where Nationwide branch staff gave us a lecture about paying cash in over the counter. The assistant told us she "would do it on a goodwill basis on this occasion" but in future we needed to do it via the ATM. Apparently, this is because we have a Flexdirect account "that we get 5% on" which is not correct as it is past the first year of interest at that rate. We will just pay it in elsewhere in future. If I worked in a bank or building society branch I think I would want as many people to use the branch as possible given the wide scale branch closures over the last few years...
    Originally posted by MrsWenger
    The Nationwide Flexdirect account is a self-service concept account. This link may help with what transactions you can do in branch
    http://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/support-articles/services/service-grid-flexdirect
    • MrsWenger
    • By MrsWenger 13th Jul 17, 10:20 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    MrsWenger
    The front end staff don't make such policy decisions, of course, so any staff member regularly making such "goodwill" acceptance of cash over the counter in the manner you requested could easily face disciplinary action (making possible branch closures irrelevant).[/QUOTE]

I appreciate that the front end staff don't make the decisions but surely how busy a branch is forms part of the decision making? Is it really true that staff would face disciplinary action for allowing a customer to pay in cash into a current account held with said organisation? I would not want to jeapordise any persons livelihood but cash is readily accepted without issue at other companies we have accounts with.
    • MrsWenger
    • By MrsWenger 13th Jul 17, 10:24 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    MrsWenger
    The Nationwide Flexdirect account is a self-service concept account. This link may help with what transactions you can do in branch
    http://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/support-articles/services/service-grid-flexdirect
    Originally posted by Luckystar
    Thank you for the link. I notice item two on it states you may pay in cash of a value greater than £300 in branch and that is exactly what we were doing. To expand upon the topic, the assistant also said you do not get a receipt when paying in cash at the ATM. I am not sure if that is correct or not but I have no intention of finding out by testing the process!
    • gt94sss2
    • By gt94sss2 13th Jul 17, 10:36 PM
    • 3,975 Posts
    • 1,835 Thanks
    gt94sss2
    You will be able to do so via mobile from 30 October: https://www.chequeandcredit.co.uk/information-hub/faqs/cheque-imaging
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 14th Jul 17, 4:46 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    Staff either don't understand that more machine use will mean they eventually lose their job or they are given some insentive to get customers to use the machines.
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 14th Jul 17, 4:49 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    Be nice if they explained this.

I did suggest to the Manager that they post the cheques for me, but his "get out" was that all mail takes an age as it has to go via their head office!

Where does 3rd party cheque come into it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,401Posts Today

8,625Users online

Martin's Twitter