Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tb4100
    • By tb4100 12th Jul 17, 7:42 PM
    • 90Posts
    • 118Thanks
    tb4100
    Replacing hard wired smoke detectors
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:42 PM
    Replacing hard wired smoke detectors 12th Jul 17 at 7:42 PM
    Hi I have two hard wired smoke detectors that need replacing, we are assuming they are over 10 years .

My question is there a best make , design or anything I should know there are so many to choose from I am completely bewildered, any advice would be grateful. x
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 12th Jul 17, 7:53 PM
    • 23,747 Posts
    • 66,080 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:53 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:53 PM
    Nest!

They're absolutely brilliant. Smoke and CO, it also alerts you if it thinks it's your cooking causing the smoke and gives you the chance to turn it off before everything goes off.

The app will alert you anywhere, so if there's a problem when you're out. It also lights your way in the dark!

Have a look at the website. They aren't cheap but I think they provide excellent peace of mind and test themselves, something I know we're terrible at in our house, unless the husband is cooking!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Risteard
    • By Risteard 12th Jul 17, 8:40 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    Risteard
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:40 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:40 PM
    Ei Electronics (also marketed as Aico) are the best domestic smoke/CO detectors on the market. Needless to say, they are not the cheapest.
    • tb4100
    • By tb4100 12th Jul 17, 9:52 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    tb4100
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:52 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:52 PM
    Thank you both will look into them at least I have a good starting point x
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 12th Jul 17, 11:02 PM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:02 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:02 PM
    Ei Electronics (also marketed as Aico) are the best domestic smoke/CO detectors on the market. Needless to say, they are not the cheapest.
    Originally posted by Risteard
    These are what I use in my home; very happy with them.
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 12th Jul 17, 11:14 PM
    • 2,683 Posts
    • 1,509 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:14 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:14 PM
    Second the Nest Protect recommendation. They are designed to last 7 years I believe. Makes a good night light for the landing too.
    • Jamie Carter
    • By Jamie Carter 12th Jul 17, 11:25 PM
    • 4,814 Posts
    • 3,247 Thanks
    Jamie Carter
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:25 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:25 PM
    Hi I have two hard wired smoke detectors that need replacing, we are assuming they are over 10 years .

My question is there a best make , design or anything I should know there are so many to choose from I am completely bewildered, any advice would be grateful. x
    Originally posted by tb4100
    Do they still work?

The backup battery will need changing annually, but if the alarm still works then there should be no need to change them.

Remember to test them weekly by pressing the button. Also occasionally you could light a candle then blow it out and hold it under the detector while it is still smoking.

If they don't work and you have to replace them, then it may still be possible to find replacements of the same make that will fit on the existing base plates. Usually there is a slot on one side of the detector where you insert a small flat screwdriver to release the catch, then slide it away from the slot.
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 13th Jul 17, 12:58 AM
    • 2,683 Posts
    • 1,509 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:58 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:58 AM
    If the smoke detectors are over 10 years old they should be replaced.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 13th Jul 17, 8:14 AM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 4,936 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:14 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:14 AM
    I've got Aico alarms which seem good. The back up batteries have a 10+ year life and the alarms have replacement dates on them. They're about £30 so £3 per year for 10 years.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • Rodders53
    • By Rodders53 13th Jul 17, 8:41 AM
    • 403 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    Rodders53
    All the well known brands are much of a muchness for mains interconnected types.
    Go for 10 year battery backup types, cheaper over the 10 year alarm lifetime!

If you replace with same brand as there is installed now, you may be able to simply replace onto existing wiring backplate. (Do check with maker though, they do sometimes update things and give problems). Another make will require you to isolate mains supply and rewire onto the new backplate... easy enough if you feel competent to do so... But some may need an electrician to do that.

I chose Kidde when my last home's 7 year life alarm needed replacing. Thought they were better looking and the lights were better shielded so lit up the hall less at night (swmbo prefers it dark at night).
    • the_r_sole
    • By the_r_sole 13th Jul 17, 10:47 AM
    • 2,317 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    the_r_sole
    Nest!

They're absolutely brilliant. Smoke and CO, it also alerts you if it thinks it's your cooking causing the smoke and gives you the chance to turn it off before everything goes off.

The app will alert you anywhere, so if there's a problem when you're out. It also lights your way in the dark!

Have a look at the website. They aren't cheap but I think they provide excellent peace of mind and test themselves, something I know we're terrible at in our house, unless the husband is cooking!
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    My one major issue with nest (aside from the cost) is that they are yet to make a compliant heat detector, so you can't have them in a new build as an interconnected system where you need a heat detector. I hope they get their finger out and develop one which meets the Eurocode and BS requirements...

I tend to spec the kidde ones where i can
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,332Posts Today

6,968Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin