Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 12th Jul 17, 6:17 PM
    • 1,086Posts
    • 168Thanks
    littlerock
    Being hassled by EDF to install smart meter, but no signal for it to use
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:17 PM
    Being hassled by EDF to install smart meter, but no signal for it to use 12th Jul 17 at 6:17 PM
    I am constantly being harrassed by EDF to have a smart meter installed. I have no objection but my electricity meter is in the basement where there is no signal for it to use. (there is none in the back of my house nor wifi either.)

They have been out and surveyed it and agree this is the case. I have asked them this to write on my account but they still keep sending out letters saying the government has told them to change my meter for a smart meter by 2020.

Now they have sent me an email saying my meter is out of date (it is about 20 years old) and they need to replace it which they plan to do with a smart meter, and want me to make an appointment to change it. Only of course the smart meter will not work.

How does the government plan to handle those meters which cannnot be accessible by a mobile signal?
    Last edited by littlerock; 12-07-2017 at 6:26 PM.
Page 1
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 12th Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    • 2,622 Posts
    • 1,583 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    I somehow doubt the government's planned this at all. The whole thing is a complete shambles (as well as being a complete waste of money).
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 13th Jul 17, 9:07 AM
    • 2,834 Posts
    • 1,435 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:07 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:07 AM
    The Govt. has not told EDF to change your meter - It's told EDF to install Smart meters, but it is not compulsory on any individual customer to accept one.

So far as your existing meter being past it's Use-By date, do a web search on the make and model number to find it's life date
    • pooch
    • By pooch 13th Jul 17, 9:56 AM
    • 709 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    pooch
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:56 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:56 AM
    I am constantly being harrassed by EDF to have a smart meter installed. I have no objection but my electricity meter is in the basement where there is no signal for it to use. (there is none in the back of my house nor wifi either.)

They have been out and surveyed it and agree this is the case. I have asked them this to write on my account but they still keep sending out letters saying the government has told them to change my meter for a smart meter by 2020.

Now they have sent me an email saying my meter is out of date (it is about 20 years old) and they need to replace it which they plan to do with a smart meter, and want me to make an appointment to change it. Only of course the smart meter will not work.

How does the government plan to handle those meters which cannnot be accessible by a mobile signal?
    Originally posted by littlerock
    I think you have got the wrong end of the stick on so many levels.

However, I would advise that harrasment is an offence.
    This CAB advice may assist you further if you genuininely feel you are "constantly being harrassed"
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/discrimination/taking-action-about-discrimination/taking-action-about-harassment/
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 13th Jul 17, 10:02 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:02 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:02 AM
    How about you tell them ok and let them waste their time............the engineer should then report it. If not and the bother you again.................do it again.....
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 13th Jul 17, 5:29 PM
    • 2,834 Posts
    • 1,435 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 13th Jul 17, 5:29 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 5:29 PM
    The suppliers are up a gum tree - The Govt. has set targets for Smart installations, but customers can refuse to have them, and it's a huge task anyway.

It seems that to get efficiences in the work, the suppliers are 'targeting' customers in a particular area and then stretch the truth a bit to get them all to say YES.
    "The Govt say you must have one", then if that doesn't work the next step is to tell the customer their meters are Old, Inaccurate or Dangerous.

The truth is that meters can be one or all three of these, and the industry has huge powers, (Court Orders, Forced Entry), to rectify what is deemed to be a dangerous/inaccurate meter if the customer refuses entry - That's why its worth checking the web to see just what the Use-by date is on your meter if any of the above excuses are used as a reason for a Smart meter
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 14th Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    • 5,099 Posts
    • 6,508 Thanks
    A. Badger
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    The suppliers are up a gum tree - The Govt. has set targets for Smart installations, but customers can refuse to have them, and it's a huge task anyway.

It seems that to get efficiences in the work, the suppliers are 'targeting' customers in a particular area and then stretch the truth a bit to get them all to say YES.
    "The Govt say you must have one", then if that doesn't work the next step is to tell the customer their meters are Old, Inaccurate or Dangerous.

The truth is that meters can be one or all three of these, and the industry has huge powers, (Court Orders, Forced Entry), to rectify what is deemed to be a dangerous/inaccurate meter if the customer refuses entry - That's why its worth checking the web to see just what the Use-by date is on your meter if any of the above excuses are used as a reason for a Smart meter
    Originally posted by dogshome
    And all so they can switch you off remotely when, one day, not too far in the future, the wind doesn't blow on a high pressure day in January and the power runs out.

That, or decide for you when you run your tumble drier. I believe they call it 'progress'.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 15th Jul 17, 9:23 PM
    • 2,622 Posts
    • 1,583 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:23 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:23 PM
    There's nothing in any of the smart meters that are now being rolled out, nor in the next generation ones, that will control which appliances you can use.

They can remotely turn off the power, but I can imagine that any supplier that did that would lose customers very quickly.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 15th Jul 17, 10:35 PM
    • 597 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:35 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:35 PM
    there is no signal for it to use. (there is none in the back of my house nor wifi either.)
    Have I understood correctly :
    A smart-meter uses 3G or Wi-fi, whichever it can get ; but there's no 3G in the basement, and you don't have home wi-fi ?
    If so, the answer could be a mobile wi-fi hotspot ; either in a phone or stand-alone.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 16th Jul 17, 2:47 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    Mister G
    If the OP has no mobile signal on any network, then how is a mobile wi-fi hotspot going to work?
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 16th Jul 17, 9:40 PM
    • 597 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    If the OP has no mobile signal on any network, then how is a mobile wi-fi hotspot going to work?
    Because the hotspot can be installed elsewhere on the building, giving a wi-fi signal that reaches down to the basement.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 16th Jul 17, 10:54 PM
    • 1,489 Posts
    • 1,949 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I can't see EDF paying for that, even if it's them that wants the smart meter.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 16th Jul 17, 11:01 PM
    • 8,287 Posts
    • 12,556 Thanks
    worried jim
    Just put the EDF letters in the bin, they are lying to you, if you don't need a smart meter then (like me) don't have one. I'm perfectly able to read my meters every month, have done for ten years and I know if a light is turned on it will cost me money. Simple life.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Pete9501
    • By Pete9501 24th Jul 17, 11:36 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    Pete9501
    They can remotely turn off the power, but I can imagine that any supplier that did that would lose customers very quickly.
    Originally posted by Ectophile
    Ooh that's a bit 1984
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 24th Jul 17, 2:22 PM
    • 2,885 Posts
    • 1,664 Thanks
    matelodave
    There's nothing in any of the smart meters that are now being rolled out, nor in the next generation ones, that will control which appliances you can use.

Originally posted by Ectophile
    This is just a spurious suggestion designed to scare people as it's not significantly different to a PayGo meter running out of leccy or gas if you don't put money into it.

One could actually see it as an advantage as I guess you could phone at 3am with a credit or debit card and get your leccy turned back on, rather than waiting for the Post Off or Co-op to open before you could go out to recharge the key or get a voucher (dunno how they do it nowadays). A remotely controlled meter would be a big benefit to some people.
    Last edited by matelodave; Yesterday at 2:25 PM.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 24th Jul 17, 4:40 PM
    • 3,881 Posts
    • 2,170 Thanks
    Hengus
    Originally posted by Mister G
    SMETS 2 meters do not need a mobile network to work. The meters create a mesh called a Wide Area Network. Meter readings will just pass along the mesh until they reach a meter that can connect to the Data Communications Company.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 24th Jul 17, 7:58 PM
    • 5,099 Posts
    • 6,508 Thanks
    A. Badger
    This is for those readers who still insist on believing that so called 'smart meters' are being introduced to save consumers money.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4725424/Government-brings-new-energy-rules.html
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 24th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 2,885 Posts
    • 1,664 Thanks
    matelodave
    If it's in the DM then it must be true
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 24th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    • 5,099 Posts
    • 6,508 Thanks
    A. Badger
    If it's in the DM then it must be true
    Originally posted by matelodave
    Strangely, I nearly added a comment to my original post that some lost soul would possibly come along and unable to address the issue of the lies being peddled by the smart meter manufacturers, politicians and energy companies, would have a cheap shot at the source.

But I though to myself, no - no one here would be that crass.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,728Posts Today

8,261Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin