Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • abda
    • By abda 12th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 4Thanks
    abda
    iPhone 7 - cheapest outright or on contract?
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    iPhone 7 - cheapest outright or on contract? 12th Jul 17 at 6:06 PM
    Hi
    Just bamboozled with info and it has just started to make no sense!
    I can afford to purchase the iPhone Red outright if it will work out cheaper in the long run but not sure if it will.
    Every shop I have spoken to states different things to confuse me even more and uswitch provided a good looking deal with mobile.co.uk but reviews were pretty bad!
    Appreciate advise from those who've purchased with the above using the uswitch comparison site
    Thanks
Page 1
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 12th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 2,523 Posts
    • 18,290 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    Find a SIM only deal that suits you, and add that cost over 24 months to the cost of the iPhone. If that is cheaper than the contract x24 price then buy outright.

• angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 12th Jul 17, 7:41 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 515 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:41 PM
    iphones are slightly cheaper from giffgaff https://www.giffgaff.com/mobile-phones/apple to buy outright and then as other say find a SIMO that suits your needs
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 12th Jul 17, 7:41 PM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    We have bought 4 iPhones, all directly from Apple. Had one issue under warranty, which was an instant exchange in an Apple Store.

I've had exceptional service in Apple Stores, including assistance with app and data transfer when upgrading. They offer trade-in too.

The advantages to me are:
    No SIM/network lock
    EU wide warranty (2 years, EU, UK too if you push them)

I can afford outright purchase, although opting for the cheaper SE models as I wanted a phone that is shirt pocket size.

Contracts are messy, you are stuck in a 2 year contract. Warranty support can be hit and miss.

You don't necessarily get a cheaper deal with a SIM/phone package, even if the price is "the same" you might find a better SIM only deal a few weeks later.

There are a huge number of SIM only deals, having a SIM free phone means you have a lot to pick from. Read the small print regarding out of bundle charges and call cost/data spending caps in particular (hint, most have no limit your call charges...)
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 12th Jul 17, 8:06 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 515 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:06 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:06 PM
    We have bought 4 iPhones, all directly from Apple. Had one issue under warranty, which was an instant exchange in an Apple Store.

I've had exceptional service in Apple Stores, including assistance with app and data transfer when upgrading. They offer trade-in too.

The advantages to me are:
    No SIM/network lock
    EU wide warranty (2 years, EU, UK too if you push them)

I can afford outright purchase, although opting for the cheaper SE models as I wanted a phone that is shirt pocket size.

Contracts are messy, you are stuck in a 2 year contract. Warranty support can be hit and miss.

You don't necessarily get a cheaper deal with a SIM/phone package, even if the price is "the same" you might find a better SIM only deal a few weeks later.

There are a huge number of SIM only deals, having a SIM free phone means you have a lot to pick from. Read the small print regarding out of bundle charges and call cost/data spending caps in particular (hint, most have no limit your call charges...)
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    Yes
    I got an iPhone 5S from GiffGaff paying over 24 months and a SIMO from Tesco Mobile min. 24 months and if works out approx. £10 a month cheaper than if i took out the same all in one deal as a contract
    • d123
    • By d123 12th Jul 17, 10:20 PM
    • 6,503 Posts
    • 4,183 Thanks
    d123
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:20 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:20 PM
    Yes
    I got an iPhone 5S from GiffGaff paying over 24 months and a SIMO from Tesco Mobile min. 24 months and if works out approx. £10 a month cheaper than if i took out the same all in one deal as a contract
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    Buying from giffgaff means you lose consumer protection from Apple. You would only have a 12 month warranty and would have to fight with giffgaff for months 13-24 (which would be sorted at the Genius Bar if Apple was the retailer).

For the sake of £20 saving I would rather buy direct from Apple or John Lewis (who give a 2 year warranty).
    ====
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,900Posts Today

7,866Users online

Martin's Twitter