Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • whosnext
    • By whosnext 12th Jul 17, 5:51 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    whosnext
    Anyone work in an estate agents?
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:51 PM
    Anyone work in an estate agents? 12th Jul 17 at 5:51 PM
    Wanted the opinions of anyone working in estate agents please.

Recently started a small business and at the moment advertising everywhere we can.
    We do house clearances and wondered about asking in estate agents if we could leave some business cards with them assuming they must have sellers now and again that need the house clearing.

Would that seem acceptable or is it something estate agents would not appreciate being asked.
    Last edited by whosnext; 12-07-2017 at 5:52 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Page 1
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 12th Jul 17, 5:56 PM
    • 1,009 Posts
    • 1,198 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:56 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:56 PM
    Absolutely, I have a couple of people I deal with who provide such a service.

Rarely does a month pass where I don't pass them one little bit of work or another.
    • whosnext
    • By whosnext 12th Jul 17, 6:07 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    whosnext
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:07 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:07 PM
    Thank you, that's good to know. I wasn't sure that they may think it was a bit hard faced.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 12th Jul 17, 6:35 PM
    • 3,658 Posts
    • 7,347 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:35 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:35 PM
    Don't forget you can cut out the middleman, and drop a card directly through the sellers' door... all sellers can be found through Rightmove!

Far better to go through the agent if you can develop. Good long term working relationship, but worth covering this angle too.
    • whosnext
    • By whosnext 12th Jul 17, 6:53 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    whosnext
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:53 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:53 PM
    Thanks DaftyDuck. We are popping cards through all the houses in the area which are for sale or to let but thought that by having cards in the estate agents we would be targeting the buyers as well who may be downsizing.
    • NicNicP
    • By NicNicP 12th Jul 17, 7:27 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    NicNicP
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:27 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:27 PM
    My sister in law works at an estate agents. They're always recommending various companies from house removals, conveyancing solicitors, gas engineers, etc the both buyers and sellers.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 12th Jul 17, 9:40 PM
    • 7,358 Posts
    • 7,746 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:40 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:40 PM
    Your local council may also pay for house clearances on occasion from their tenanted stock, or be able to hand your cards out to their leaving tenants.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Jul 17, 10:10 PM
    • 40,495 Posts
    • 46,323 Thanks
    G_M
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:10 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:10 PM
    Please check with the Mods that you have permission to get support/advice for your business here.

It's normally against forum rules.
    • whosnext
    • By whosnext 13th Jul 17, 1:16 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    whosnext
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:16 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:16 PM
    Ive read all the forum rules and cant find anything to say I cant ask the question on here. I am not promoting my business as I have not included the business name nor the area I work.
    • Lord Baltimore
    • By Lord Baltimore 13th Jul 17, 2:46 PM
    • 1,295 Posts
    • 1,277 Thanks
    Lord Baltimore
    Ive read all the forum rules and cant find anything to say I cant ask the question on here. I am not promoting my business as I have not included the business name nor the area I work.
    Originally posted by whosnext
    Seems fair enough to me. You've raised a principle the answers to which other forum members might find valuable too. Good luck!
    all your base are belong to us
    • theGrinch
    • By theGrinch 13th Jul 17, 6:05 PM
    • 2,754 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    theGrinch
    I cant see anything the OP has done incorrect.

I may be wrong, but I think there are people on here with an arrangement with MSE to answer questions.

I think MSE and those it has a relationship with should make a disclosure of interest on every post they do contribute so everything is transparent.

Further, there is a small biz and charity board - which is all about support and advice for your business
    Last edited by theGrinch; 13-07-2017 at 6:08 PM.
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,133Posts Today

8,508Users online

Martin's Twitter