Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gorilla17
    • By gorilla17 12th Jul 17, 5:34 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    gorilla17
    Missed POPLA deadline
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:34 PM
    Missed POPLA deadline 12th Jul 17 at 5:34 PM
    Sorry to start a new thread, but I can't find a specific answer to this question.

I appealed a Smart Parking fine, which obviously got rejected. I foolishly let the POPLA deadline pass because I was dealing with a major work crisis and lost track of the dates, so when I went to lodge the appeal I was told I was past the 28 days limit. Stupid I know, but I had more important things on my mind at the time.

So my question is this: am I better off to try and get them to extend the appeal deadline (in which case do I speak to Popla or go back to Smart Parking)? Or should I just wait it out in the hope that they don't take it any further?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Page 1
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 12th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    • 3,772 Posts
    • 5,333 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    Try POLA and see what happens, sometimes you can get in with a so called expired code.
    Under The Alternative Dispute Resolution for Consumer Disputes (Amendment) Regulations 2015 you shoudl have at least 12 months to challenge this.

Whose car park were you parked in?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Jul 17, 5:44 PM
    • 49,944 Posts
    • 63,353 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:44 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:44 PM
    Wait and see, and defend any claim.

More importantly, what happened when you complained to the landowner and your MP? Always do both.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• gorilla17
    • By gorilla17 12th Jul 17, 6:03 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gorilla17
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:03 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:03 PM
    Thanks for the quick replies, although as you have both suggested different options, I'm none the wiser!

My POPLA code doesn't work, so do I write to POPLA in the first instance, or do I prepare the full appeal first?

The PCN was for Fistral Beach while I was on holiday in Cornwall in April. All I've done so far is appeal the PCN directly to Smart Parking, which, unsurprisingly, they rejected.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Jul 17, 6:15 PM
    • 49,944 Posts
    • 63,353 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:15 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:15 PM
    Thanks for the quick replies, although as you have both suggested different options, I'm none the wiser!
    Originally posted by gorilla17
    You won't get an extended time for POPLA unless you'd been bereaved or something awful, IMHO.

My POPLA code doesn't work, so do I write to POPLA in the first instance,
    No point. You missed POPLA so sit tight.

Smart cases are winnable if they try a small claim and it has no effect on your credit rating and risks nothing onerous by waiting, as long as you do not ignore a LBC or claim (Smart use SCS Solicitors but we've seen them drop it EVERY time so far, when well defended, they look for numpty victims who just get scared and pay up - don't be that person).
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• The Deep
    • By The Deep 12th Jul 17, 6:40 PM
    • 7,001 Posts
    • 6,067 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:40 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:40 PM
    They do like to ticket people at Fistral Beach, but from what I have seen on Google Earth their signs leave much to be desired, whole wads of text in minute writing, its is car park ffs, you are not getting a mortgage.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186239-d188765-r500101252-Fistral_Beach-Newquay_Cornwall_England.html

I wonder how much the local council charges for similar offences.
    Last edited by The Deep; 12-07-2017 at 6:44 PM.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • gorilla17
    • By gorilla17 12th Jul 17, 10:37 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gorilla17
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:37 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:37 PM
    Thanks so much for your responses.

I will just sit tight and wait for the legal letters. I will be back for more advice when that comes.

Thanks again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,726Posts Today

7,854Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin