Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • lianne2100
    • By lianne2100 12th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Self employed single parent, wanting to have a self employed helper??
    • #1
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    Self employed single parent, wanting to have a self employed helper?? 12th Jul 17 at 5:24 PM
    My situation at the moment is that I am a single parent working 16 hours as a domestic cleaner, self employed. I receive Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit. My question is: I have a couple of people who are willing to work for me and I have about 5 more clients lined up, I want to take on a self employed helper. How do I declare this? I was thinking I could just write down the amount I gain for every hour they work for me which is £3 and still do my 16 hours. Is the work they do for me to be counted in the 16 hours? I have been to the citizen advice but they were not very helpful. I just want to know if its worth my while or better just to stay working by myself. xx
Page 1
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 12th Jul 17, 5:48 PM
    • 10,890 Posts
    • 6,205 Thanks
    • #2
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:48 PM
    • #2
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:48 PM
    Perhaps you will need to check employment legislation, as I beleive now that if you employ anyone, you have to offer a workplace pension.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 12th Jul 17, 6:02 PM
    • 3,578 Posts
    • 2,659 Thanks
    • #3
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:02 PM
    • #3
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:02 PM
    If they are working for you then they are an employee not self employed.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 12th Jul 17, 7:27 PM
    • 4,793 Posts
    • 4,170 Thanks
    • #4
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:27 PM
    • #4
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:27 PM
    as above you cannot take £3 margin from them and say they are self employed (sub) contractors working "for" you unless you can correctly show they are not in fact merely your employees.

    there is an online questionnaire to help with this

    if they are employees then you will need to do many extra admin activities and incur extra costs, for example:
    - register with HMRC as an employer
    - operate a payroll and send reports to HMRC every month
    - obtain employers liability insurance
    - pensions, holidays
    Last edited by 00ec25; 12-07-2017 at 7:35 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

287Posts Today

2,447Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

  • In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

  • It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing

  • Follow Martin