Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lxladao
    • By lxladao 12th Jul 17, 5:01 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lxladao
    Mystery after use my credit card via a paypal card reader
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:01 PM
    Mystery after use my credit card via a paypal card reader 12th Jul 17 at 5:01 PM
    Lots of experts here so trying to find a clue for a mysterious thing after using my credit card via a paypal card reader.

I received a digital receipt from service@paypal.co.uk after using my credit card with a paypal card reader at a restaurant. All info on the digital receipt looks correct but the strange thing is, this digital receipt was sent to my email address at work, which is no way I have ever disclosed it to paypal or my credit card company. I am very careful with any payment out of my pocket and this puzzled me for several days. I can't find any explanation how this could happen so I am looking for Holmes here...
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Jul 17, 8:12 PM
    • 18,541 Posts
    • 14,267 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:12 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:12 PM
    Does the restaurant have your work email address? Otherwise I'd be asking Paypal where they got the address from, and if it was from your card issuer, ask them the same question.
    • Oneg
    • By Oneg 12th Jul 17, 9:09 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Oneg
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:09 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:09 PM
    Hi, Do you perhaps have a rule set in your paypal email account, forwarding email to your work email under certain conditions?
    • lxladao
    • By lxladao 13th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lxladao
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    The restaurant no way has my working email address but thanks for your suggestion and I will contact Paypal
    • lxladao
    • By lxladao 13th Jul 17, 10:12 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lxladao
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:12 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:12 AM
    My paypal account is for personal use only and I will never link it to my work email
    • lxladao
    • By lxladao 17th Jul 17, 4:47 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lxladao
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:47 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:47 PM
    Thanks for your post. As I mentioned, the credit card is a personal one so I never link it with my work email. However you successfully reminded me that the only possible link between my company email and my personal paypal account is probably through air france where I registered with my company email for the membership but I did purchase once using paypal for a private trip. Then paypal knows my company email address..
    • bris
    • By bris 17th Jul 17, 8:49 PM
    • 7,037 Posts
    • 6,038 Thanks
    bris
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:49 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:49 PM
    It was a good guess? Of course not, whether you think it or not you disclosed it to them somewhere down the line, they don't just pluck email addresses from thin air.
    • lxladao
    • By lxladao 17th Jul 17, 11:29 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lxladao
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:29 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:29 PM
    you are right, but I still can't understand that why paypal send a receipt to an email address that never disclosed to them directly but they picked up when I made the only one transaction out of hundreds of. Why don't they send the receipt to the email that I registered with, the one that they send marketing junks everyday???
    • lxladao
    • By lxladao 17th Jul 17, 11:33 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lxladao
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:33 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 11:33 PM
    anyway, I feel paypal is very dodgy this time, if my conjecture is correct, and I am not confident with them anymore...must be hyper cautious in the future!!!
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 18th Jul 17, 7:12 PM
    • 5,416 Posts
    • 5,080 Thanks
    eddddy
    I think you may be confusing yourself.

You say you used your card to pay at a restaurant - and that restaurant happened to use PayPal Here to process card payments.

That has nothing to do with your PayPal account (or the email addresses associated with it).

After you paid, typically the cashier would say "Would you like a printed receipt, or shall I email it to you?"

If you ask for email, the cashier will then ask you for your email address.

If you didn't give your email address, did another member of your party give it, or did you provide it when booking the table, or would the cashier have known it from some other source?
    Last edited by eddddy; 18-07-2017 at 7:25 PM.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 19th Jul 17, 3:09 AM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 912 Thanks
    Ben8282
    I think you may be confusing yourself.

You say you used your card to pay at a restaurant - and that restaurant happened to use PayPal Here to process card payments.

That has nothing to do with your PayPal account (or the email addresses associated with it).

After you paid, typically the cashier would say "Would you like a printed receipt, or shall I email it to you?"

If you ask for email, the cashier will then ask you for your email address.

If you didn't give your email address, did another member of your party give it, or did you provide it when booking the table, or would the cashier have known it from some other source?
    Originally posted by eddddy

That is exactly what I was about to say myself. There is no connection whatsoever between this and your personal paypal account.
    I have only been offered a e-receipt for a cardholder present transaction once. That was in Halfords for a small purchase. The sales assistant asked for my e-mail address to send me an e-receipt, I flatly refused to give it to her and told her I would like a normal printed receipt which she gave me. This seemed like an excuse to get customers to give over their e-mail addresses so Halfords can spam them with offers and so on.
    • lxladao
    • By lxladao 19th Jul 17, 9:48 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lxladao
    Thanks Ben and Eddy, that's exactly what puzzled me over the past weeks. Providing my work email for a personal dinner payment is the last thing that I will do. Also I did not provide my personal email address on that day as it was a small transaction of 15 quid. In summary, what you suspect absolutely did not happen on that day, at least from my side. The only possibility so far is still what mentioned above through air france membership.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 19th Jul 17, 11:11 AM
    • 5,416 Posts
    • 5,080 Thanks
    eddddy
    This seemed like an excuse to get customers to give over their e-mail addresses so Halfords can spam them with offers and so on.
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    Yes - and it goes even further than this.

If you provide the same email address in-store that you use for online orders, they can 'match-up' your online activity with your in-store purchases.

e.g. Using cookies, Halfords can see which of their online adverts you saw, which bikes you looked at on their website - and then which one you actually bought in store (based on your email receipt).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,501Posts Today

10,365Users online

Martin's Twitter