Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Oneg
    • By Oneg 12th Jul 17, 4:16 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Oneg
    Fed up with the whole concept of pre-authorisations
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:16 PM
    Fed up with the whole concept of pre-authorisations 12th Jul 17 at 4:16 PM
    I recently ordered a laptop using Paypal which is linked to my debit card. I cancelled the order as I saw a better deal. Trying to get my pre-authorisation removed so that I can spend my money is impossible.

I am totally fed up with the whole concept of pre-authorisations. The idea is flawed. Yes, thank you, the authorisation has been removed from Paypal after pestering the seller to do this, but paypal have not removed the authorisation from my bank account. Therefore I am still unable to spend my money! Paypal say my bank has acknowledged the removal of the authorisation, but my bank deny this, and refuse to remove it. Paypal even gave me a 6 digit authorisation removal code, but my bank say they still can't remove the authorisation. Why not?

The fault is with the whole banking industry. Why pre-authorise? What purpose does it serve? Why not simply take the money straight away instead of just ring fencing it? It makes no difference to me. Either way I still can’t spend it. Then the seller can ship knowing the item has already been paid for. If I cancel, then they can refund the money. It would be far quicker than waiting for an authorisation to drop off.

No one seems to understand this. The only people that win are the banks who are making money from this massive pool of pending authorisations. It is such a rip off. It is about time it was outlawed.
    Last edited by Oneg; 12-07-2017 at 4:20 PM.
Page 1
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 12th Jul 17, 4:28 PM
    • 6,718 Posts
    • 8,259 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:28 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:28 PM
    the only people that win are the banks who are making money from this massive pool of pending authorisations
    Quantify how they do this and how much they make. Especially for credit cards.
    • Oneg
    • By Oneg 12th Jul 17, 8:55 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Oneg
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:55 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:55 PM
    At the start of my post, I mentioned DEBIT card. There is no DEBIT card section I can see on this forum, so apologies for that. I cannot quantify how much money banks make by investing other people's money, but I would have thought that is their business model.
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 12th Jul 17, 9:30 PM
    • 2,225 Posts
    • 1,257 Thanks
    surreysaver
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:30 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:30 PM
    At the start of my post, I mentioned DEBIT card. There is no DEBIT card section I can see on this forum, so apologies for that. I cannot quantify how much money banks make by investing other people's money, but I would have thought that is their business model.
    Originally posted by Oneg
    Try the Bank Account sub-forum. Current Accounts are what debit cards are linked to.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
    • Oneg
    • By Oneg 12th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Oneg
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    Well excuse me for posting on the wrong forum. The topic itself of course is irrelevant! Someone somewhere decided to thrust the concept of pre-authorisations onto the masses, and we all accept it. Sheep.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 12th Jul 17, 11:58 PM
    • 6,245 Posts
    • 3,265 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:58 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:58 PM
    CC pre-authorisations go back to the days of manual processing. For certain transactions (particularly large ones), the merchant phones up and got a code (or a decline). Because it took a few days for the paperwork to go through, the funds are reserved in the meantime.

Debit cards piggy back onto the same system.

As with many IT things, systems build on what goes before. No doubt in some parts of the world people still use manual imprinters. The last manual one I encountered was about 5 years ago when checking out of a hotel during a power cut.

aSomeone somewhere decided to thrust the concept of pre-authorisations onto the masses, and we all accept it. Sheep.
    I "accepted" it both as a user and merchant some years ago. I rarely use my debit card. I use credit cards and have never had a problem with pre-authorisations. Be careful with the "sheep" comment, ewe will attract all the predictable jokes.
    Last edited by chattychappy; 13-07-2017 at 12:02 AM.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 13th Jul 17, 7:10 AM
    • 6,718 Posts
    • 8,259 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 13th Jul 17, 7:10 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 7:10 AM
    Well excuse me for posting on the wrong forum. The topic itself of course is irrelevant! Someone somewhere decided to thrust the concept of pre-authorisations onto the masses, and we all accept it. Sheep.
    It's a game millions play without problem.

Why do ewe have a problem with it?
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 13th Jul 17, 9:16 AM
    • 6,245 Posts
    • 3,265 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:16 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:16 AM
    Why do ewe have a problem with it?
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    Because the OP is feeling fleeced?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Jul 17, 9:29 AM
    • 18,165 Posts
    • 13,858 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:29 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:29 AM
    Like a lamb to the slaughter...
    • RichL74
    • By RichL74 13th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 829 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    RichL74
    I recently had this experience and I cancelled my order but the pending transaction was there for roughly 2 weeks on my debit card.

I looked at is this way.

Say I have £100 in my account for arguments sake and I order an item for £75 which is pre-authorised. I cancel that order but £75 of that £100 is not available to me from my bank account, I can only take out £15 despite cancelling and until whoever it is presses a button or flicks a switch and the authorisation is removed giving me access to the full £100 again.

That reads a little woolly but hopefully you get my point.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 13th Jul 17, 12:02 PM
    • 5,315 Posts
    • 5,068 Thanks
    eskbanker
    I am totally fed up with the whole concept of pre-authorisations.

[...]

The fault is with the whole banking industry.

[...]

No one seems to understand this. The only people that win are the banks who are making money from this massive pool of pending authorisations. It is such a rip off. It is about time it was outlawed.
    • ndf9876
    • By ndf9876 13th Jul 17, 1:34 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    ndf9876
    Obvious troll is obvious. +1 to eskbanker though - made my day
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 13th Jul 17, 1:47 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 3,054 Thanks
    Oakdene
    I recently had this experience and I cancelled my order but the pending transaction was there for roughly 2 weeks on my debit card.

I looked at is this way.

Say I have £100 in my account for arguments sake and I order an item for £75 which is pre-authorised. I cancel that order but £75 of that £100 is not available to me from my bank account, I can only take out £15 despite cancelling and until whoever it is presses a button or flicks a switch and the authorisation is removed giving me access to the full £100 again.

That reads a little woolly but hopefully you get my point.
    Originally posted by RichL74
    What did you spend the other £10 on?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,087Posts Today

8,995Users online

Martin's Twitter