Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jeanners49
    • By Jeanners49 12th Jul 17, 4:11 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jeanners49
    0 WOW
    Worldwide tavel insurance for disabled 79 year old
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:11 PM
    0 WOW
    Worldwide tavel insurance for disabled 79 year old 12th Jul 17 at 4:11 PM
    Hello all,
    My soon to be husband and I have booked a once in a lifetime holiday (which includes a cruise) to Canada next May. We are having the devil's own job trying to find someone who will insure him; we're looking for an annual policy as we have a holiday booked on the Isle of Man this September, as well as the Canada trip. Roger is just 79, wheelchair bound due to spinal stenosis (which is classed as a medical condition) - but he is not ill and is not having treatment for it; he just can't walk. The only medication he takes is a very low dose of steroids. I'm 68 and will be 69 when we travel. Have tried HolidaySafe as recommended here, but it seems they aren't interested in someone with a disability/medical condition. Can anyone recommend a company who would offer a reasonable price, as opposed to us taking out a second mortgage to pay it? Quotes so far have been in the region of £500 - £800, some well over £1,000.
    Seems unfair; he's old(ish), disabled, but he's not ill, and he still wants to travel. There's life in the old dog yet...

Yours hopefully...
Page 1
    • Placitasgirl
    • By Placitasgirl 12th Jul 17, 4:18 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    Placitasgirl
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:18 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:18 PM
    Unfortunately I can't offer any help with an insurer who won't want want you to pay more than the cost of your trip to insure it, but I did just want to say that I wish you success in your search. I think it's wonderful that you're still enjoying and planning travel together and wish you many more happy (and fully insured) trips in the future.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 12th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    • 2,231 Posts
    • 1,489 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    Those quotes seem about right to me for worldwide annual cover. I've had to pay not a lot less for single trip & we're not (quite) that old.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • dutchism1958
    • By dutchism1958 12th Jul 17, 5:49 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    dutchism1958
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:49 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:49 PM
    I have recently booked with Holidaysafe for a 3 week holiday to Spain and France for my 81 year old wife who is disabled.She has a heartcondition,pacemaker,a stroke last year and a big heart attack 3 years ago,and is now on 9 pills to keep her alive.
    I rang them after trying to renew with OK to travel who wouldn't insure her and had others who like yourself quoted £700-£1200 pounds.
    Holidaysafe quoted £355 for her but maybe that is because we are driving down and in Europe?.
    Good luck,it is so frustrating and time consuming but hopefully there is someone to help you out there.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Jul 17, 8:37 PM
    • 17,892 Posts
    • 13,577 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:37 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:37 PM
    Perhaps you should look at two single trip policies rather than annual cover to see if that works out cheaper.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 13th Jul 17, 11:59 AM
    • 7,079 Posts
    • 3,909 Thanks
    martindow
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:59 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:59 AM
    There is a specific MSE article - apologies if you've already seen it

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/over65s-travel-insurance

A cruise is likely to add to the premium due to the enormous cost of an emergency evacuation on top of normal hospital costs.
    • michele-p
    • By michele-p 13th Jul 17, 12:36 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 679 Thanks
    michele-p
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:36 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:36 PM
    Have a look at Insure and Go too, they are often very good. But when my parents hit 70 their insurance rocketed, before either was ill, think it's more cruise, age and worldwide related than the disability. Hope you find something reasonable. Your holiday plans sound fab.
    • katejo
    • By katejo 13th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    • 2,929 Posts
    • 1,116 Thanks
    katejo
    • 13th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    Have a look at Insure and Go too, they are often very good. But when my parents hit 70 their insurance rocketed, before either was ill, think it's more cruise, age and worldwide related than the disability. Hope you find something reasonable. Your holiday plans sound fab.
    Originally posted by michele-p
    I was going to suggest them too.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 14th Jul 17, 12:18 PM
    • 3,580 Posts
    • 36,165 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:18 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 12:18 PM
    Problem here is that you need WW2 cover- the dearest!

Don't know if Explorer Travel insurance would be a possibility. Their cover is up to age 80yrs for annual.
    Perhaps buy yours from a different company and his from..... where ever you can find
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

117Posts Today

1,516Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin