Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Beverley Hillbillies
    • By Beverley Hillbillies 12th Jul 17, 3:53 PM
    • 66Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Beverley Hillbillies
    Civil Partnership
    • #1
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:53 PM
    Civil Partnership 12th Jul 17 at 3:53 PM
    Having been with my partner for 27years, for financial & legal protection, we've decided it's time we protected our relationship.

    Can anyone offer a step by step guide what we have to do?

    As this is moneysaving, we're not looking for anything extravagant or flamboyant, just a simple, basic way of making our relationship official.
Page 1
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 12th Jul 17, 4:17 PM
    • 16,848 Posts
    • 25,669 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    • #2
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:17 PM
    • #2
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:17 PM
    Are you a same sex couple as heterosexual couples can't have a civil partnership.
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

    I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 12th Jul 17, 5:06 PM
    • 2,403 Posts
    • 2,579 Thanks
    • #3
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:06 PM
    • #3
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:06 PM
    Contact your local registration office - for marriage or civil partnership the process is much the same.

    Can be very simple (and cheap) if you want it to be.
    • barbarawright
    • By barbarawright 12th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,651 Posts
    • 3,147 Thanks
    • #4
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • #4
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    Check the website of your local register office - the fees will be laid out. Cheapest ceremony will usually be about £250 plus about £40 for giving notice of intent (the civil equivalent of having the banns published) though some places are cheaper so it might be worth checking neighbouring boroughs if you want to be really MSE. The register office will be able to point you to where to get a couple of witnesses on the day if you want it to be really simple (I used to work next to a register office and we did it all the time)
    • gwynlas
    • By gwynlas 12th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    • #5
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    Civil Partnership
    • #5
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:31 PM
    We were in a similar situation after 23 years together and got married, just us two friends and £250 plus as previous poster says.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,769Posts Today

7,317Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

  • WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See RT

  • RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

  • Follow Martin