Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • philip1427
    • By philip1427 12th Jul 17, 3:11 PM
    • 93Posts
    • 14Thanks
    philip1427
    Should I be compensated by a luxury hotel?
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:11 PM
    Should I be compensated by a luxury hotel? 12th Jul 17 at 3:11 PM
    I stay in the same upmarket hotel in London every time I need to be in the capital. Upon browsing their website there was a little tiny notice at the top detailing a cyber security breach.

Apparently an unknown third party infiltrated their central reservation and guest relation database having access to personal information including email addresses, home addresses alongside financial information such as CC details. As a precautionary measure I have cancelled the card I which I used to make reservations.

I realise cyberattacks are part of the modern world but I am furious that the hotel did not contact its guests to inform them their identities could have been stolen!

As a consequence I have written a email to the hotel explaining all this. However I wonder if I am entitled to compensation?
Page 1
    • philip1427
    • By philip1427 12th Jul 17, 3:16 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    philip1427
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:16 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:16 PM
    In my eyes I have had a loss of time to speak to banks and merchants to change payment methods for recurring payments as well as loss of privacy.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 12th Jul 17, 3:18 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 3,112 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:18 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:18 PM
    Loss of time? Whats your hourly rate?

Good grief is that what we have come to in this country now, you haven't lost out financially so no compensation due.

As for not being contacted by the hotel, do you really expect them to contact every person who has ever stayed there?
    • tykesi
    • By tykesi 12th Jul 17, 3:26 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 2,398 Thanks
    tykesi
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:26 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:26 PM
    Loss of time? Whats your hourly rate?

Good grief is that what we have come to in this country now, you haven't lost out financially so no compensation due.

As for not being contacted by the hotel, do you really expect them to contact every person who has ever stayed there?
    Originally posted by Oakdene
    Unfortunately so, any mistake by any company or service now is immediately seen as a money making opportunity by many, it's shameful.
    £2017 in 2017 - £3238.42
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 12th Jul 17, 3:56 PM
    • 3,159 Posts
    • 5,449 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:56 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:56 PM
    In my eyes I have had a loss of time to speak to banks and merchants to change payment methods for recurring payments as well as loss of privacy.
    Originally posted by philip1427
    At this stage any lost time is of your own doing. If your details had actually been compromised and used in any way then I would expect them to offer a goodwill gesture but you have chosen to jump the gun and waste your own time cancelling cards and dealing with banks off your own back. Your details may not have even been compromised, even if they were the hackers won't necessarily use the details of everyone they have details for.

You've had no loss of privacy.
    • photome
    • By photome 12th Jul 17, 4:10 PM
    • 12,675 Posts
    • 8,159 Thanks
    photome
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:10 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:10 PM
    How much money do you want?

This compo culture is unbelievable
    • Potbellypig
    • By Potbellypig 12th Jul 17, 4:15 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    Potbellypig
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:15 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:15 PM
    I deserve some compensation for the time wasted reading this thread.
    • PDC
    • By PDC 12th Jul 17, 4:27 PM
    • 483 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    PDC
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:27 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:27 PM
    They should have certainly notified you if all the information was taken as per your email including payment and credit card details. It would be unusual for a business' to keep such information together in a usable form, not unheard of but certainy irresponsible.

If the infomation lost was encrypted then they do not legally have to inform you, but if it wasn't then yes, they should have.

As to whether you get compensation, who knows. But I would certainly let them know that you are concerned at not being informed.

You could also contact the ICO, Information Commissioners Office, if you aren't happy with the handling of this.
    • naedanger
    • By naedanger 12th Jul 17, 4:36 PM
    • 2,184 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    naedanger
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:36 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:36 PM
    I stay in the same upmarket hotel in London every time I need to be in the capital. Upon browsing their website there was a little tiny notice at the top detailing a cyber security breach.

Apparently an unknown third party infiltrated their central reservation and guest relation database having access to personal information including email addresses, home addresses alongside financial information such as CC details. As a precautionary measure I have cancelled the card I which I used to make reservations.

I realise cyberattacks are part of the modern world but I am furious that the hotel did not contact its guests to inform them their identities could have been stolen!

As a consequence I have written a email to the hotel explaining all this. However I wonder if I am entitled to compensation?
    I suggest you write to the hotel seeking an explanation of whether your data may have been included in the compromise, and if so why they have not written to you. (A company is obliged to notify its customers of certain security breaches.)

Depending on their response you may wish to take the matter further.

The following is worth a read:

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-pecr/communications-networks-and-services/security-breaches/
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 12th Jul 17, 5:01 PM
    • 3,205 Posts
    • 4,677 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    Had a letter from 3 mobile last year, similar situation to yours.

The provided everyone affected with a 12 month Noddle Alerts membership. Basically alerts you to all activity using your details (credit applications/searches etc).

Was more then happy with this. At no point did the thought of 'compensation' ever cross my mind.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 12th Jul 17, 5:10 PM
    • 2,432 Posts
    • 2,520 Thanks
    LadyDee
    How much money do you want?

This compo culture is unbelievable
    Originally posted by photome
    And dare one say this site has encouraged such a culture?
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 12th Jul 17, 5:22 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    angryparcel
    Had a letter from 3 mobile last year, similar situation to yours.

The provided everyone affected with a 12 month Noddle Alerts membership. Basically alerts you to all activity using your details (credit applications/searches etc).

Was more then happy with this. At no point did the thought of 'compensation' ever cross my mind.
    Originally posted by powerful_Rogue
    TalkTalk did the same thing when they were breached, we ended up with countless unwanted phones calls due to the breach ( we are ex directory), which they admitted out details were taken apart from financial details and because of this they were not obligated to give us compensation. We did however persuade them to change our phone number
    • philip1427
    • By philip1427 12th Jul 17, 10:47 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    philip1427
    Wow! I certainly do not take part in any such claim culture. I am furious that the company has not taken its time to email its clients which I certainly do not see as too much to ask! In my mind they have tried to sweep this breach under the carpet as they would not want to stop clients paying £500 a night and more from staying in their property.

I have had a long relationship with this hotel and I do feel let down by them.

In addition if anyone thinks it is too extreme a measure to cancel cards that may be compromised are on a different planet! I'm honestly shocked at some of the responses on this thread. I though moneysaveyexpert stood up for consumers and strived to improved customer experience
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 12th Jul 17, 11:11 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    angryparcel
    Wow! I certainly do not take part in any such claim culture. I am furious that the company has not taken its time to email its clients which I certainly do not see as too much to ask! In my mind they have tried to sweep this breach under the carpet as they would not want to stop clients paying £500 a night and more from staying in their property.

In addition if anyone thinks it is too extreme a measure to cancel cards that may be compromised are on a different planet! I'm honestly shocked at some of the responses on this thread. I though moneysaveyexpert stood up for consumers and strived to improved customer experience
    maybe they were planning to inform customers, when TalkTalk had the breach they placed a notice on their website, but then it was a few days later before they contacted clients after they found the full extent of the breach as no good worrying customers if it was a minor breach. you will be surprised at how many minor breaches happen daily on major branded websites.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 12th Jul 17, 11:11 PM
    • 15,266 Posts
    • 11,088 Thanks
    hollydays

You shouldnt be shocked, these posts are by random people you might cross the road to avoid in real life
    Last edited by hollydays; 12-07-2017 at 11:15 PM.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 13th Jul 17, 7:13 AM
    • 3,159 Posts
    • 5,449 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    Why would that mean someone is on a different planet? Cancelling the card is very extreme in the circumstances, if you hadn't cancelled and somehow your details were actually used to make purchases you have protection with your card provider. You don't even know if your details were stolen, if they were, what details were stolen and whether or not they were encrypted. I've used two companies that have been hacked and lost data (at least only two that have been publicised so the only ones I know about) and I have never needed to cancel a card or go chasing banks and merchants wasting hours of my time. If an unknown transaction ever shows up I would simply report it as fraudulent and follow my banks advice on what to do next. Every time you use your card there is a risk that somehow the details could be stolen, are you going to cancel a card every day and request new ones just in case?

It also doesn't really matter what the main moneysavingexpert website stands for, you have posted in the public forums where there are just individuals with their own opinions. The consumer rights board is just that not consumer wants. If somebody has a consumer issue they post here and are offered advice based on a number of things including the law, and what is reasonable, some people find it incredibly helpful and are helped immensely to resolve issues, others don't like being told they are wrong and whine about it. The laws are there to protect both sides of a consumer contract not just to demand that the customer always gets what they want, if that were to happen our economy would come crashing down pretty quickly if it is based the types of "issues" we often get on here.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Jul 17, 10:16 AM
    • 17,621 Posts
    • 44,846 Thanks
    Pollycat
    As a precautionary measure I have cancelled the card I which I used to make reservations.
    How much time did you spend 'talking to banks & merchants?

What 'loss of privacy' have you actually suffered?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,394Posts Today

7,654Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin