Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 12th Jul 17, 3:04 PM
    • 7,912Posts
    • 9,822Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    What are your all time favourite Sitcoms?
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:04 PM
    What are your all time favourite Sitcoms? 12th Jul 17 at 3:04 PM
    I think mine has to be Only Fools and Horses, although I really liked Faulty Towers.
    What were yours?
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
Page 4
    • Sheel
    • By Sheel 16th Jul 17, 12:24 PM
    • 44,819 Posts
    • 40,139 Thanks
    Sheel
    Dinnerladies.

The Royle Family.

Father Ted.

Phoenix Nights.

These are programmes that I can watch again and still find funny.
    JAMMF
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 16th Jul 17, 1:06 PM
    • 12,051 Posts
    • 11,443 Thanks
    Chris25
    Only Fools & Horses,
    Yes Minister,
    Dad's Army,
    Steptoe & Son,
    'Allo 'Allo,
    Porridge,
    One Foot In The Grave,
    The Good Life,
    recently discovered Everybody Loves Raymond - cracks me up!
    also used to like Taxi and Eight Simple Rules - so sad when the dad died.
    Oh, and The High Life http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/thehighlife/ - think it was only on for one series but if had just gone for another, I feel it would have become huge cult series.
    Last edited by Chris25; 16-07-2017 at 1:11 PM.
    • barmonkey
    • By barmonkey 16th Jul 17, 3:57 PM
    • 6,596 Posts
    • 15,621 Thanks
    barmonkey
    Trouble with a lot of the older comedies is that they are just reeeeeeaaaally dated if you watch the now, and some like One Foot In The Grave, Rising Damp and Last Of The Summer Wine just arnt and never were funny.
    WWSD

(what would Scooby Doo)
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 16th Jul 17, 6:33 PM
    • 14,493 Posts
    • 124,658 Thanks
    zagubov
    Taxi and Happy Days.
    Originally posted by Dreamnine
    Taxi was phenomenal but under-rated.
    Happy Days gave us the much funnier Mork and Mindy
    Peep show , It crowd , Frasier and Big Bang theory.
    Originally posted by hayday75
    Now you're talking!
    Back in the day, all of the old favourites above (did anyone say Hi-De-Hi or Soap?)
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Sure did!
    Are the winners. I'll add to them Ideal with Johnny Vegas and Psycho Paul.
    Originally posted by uberalles
    People after my own heart.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 17th Jul 17, 9:50 AM
    • 12,051 Posts
    • 11,443 Thanks
    Chris25
    Trouble with a lot of the older comedies is that they are just reeeeeeaaaally dated if you watch the now, and some like One Foot In The Grave, Rising Damp and Last Of The Summer Wine just arnt and never were funny.
    Originally posted by barmonkey
    boo, hisss

loved One Foot In The Grave - funniest moment for me was when the wife was lying ill in bed & Victor was raving on about something useless (as he did). He just kept on and on, even as he was going down the stairs and she shouted out "shut the f front door" which made you think she was about to swear. Has been used many times since but that was the first time I heard it and thought it even more funny 'cos it was so out of character for her.
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 17th Jul 17, 10:33 AM
    • 7,912 Posts
    • 9,822 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    No- one mentioned this.

I wonder who even remembers it.
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 17th Jul 17, 10:37 AM
    • 8,831 Posts
    • 8,202 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I think that back in the day there was so much comedy available that it was able to be segmented into different styles. So when I was a kid, the physical/broad comedy of things like Are You Being Served worked for me. I think that that is now dated, and is just awaiting sufficient age to become social commentary of the mores of the time. On the Buses has arguably already attained that characteristic - not great comedy, but a fascinating historical record.

I agree about One Foot in the Grave - I think it is underrated compared to other things that have been flagged as all time classics - I imagine people tend to dismiss it as a domestic comedy, when it has rather more to it than that. My favourite moment is when Victor is snoozing in his chair, and is awoken by the phone ringing, but picks up Denzil the Dachshund and holds him to his ear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0tiNwOpZ68
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 17th Jul 17, 10:39 AM
    • 1,134 Posts
    • 2,768 Thanks
    Oakdene
    Also going to put The Fresh Prince of Bel Air on my list!
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 17th Jul 17, 10:41 AM
    • 8,831 Posts
    • 8,202 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    No- one mentioned this.

Originally posted by Tipsntreats
    Bread. I think I probably saw every episode.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 17th Jul 17, 10:46 AM
    • 12,051 Posts
    • 11,443 Thanks
    Chris25
    No- one mentioned this.

Originally posted by Tipsntreats
    amsersall posted it. I liked it too.

amersall also mentioned Rab C Nesbitt which I also thought was funny - particularly the episode when the 2 wives woke up in bed together after passing out from drinking a lot, & one turned around to the other & said something like "oh no, does that mean we're lesbians now?"
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 17th Jul 17, 11:44 AM
    • 8,831 Posts
    • 8,202 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Has anyone mentioned the crop of "romantic sitcoms" - Brushstrokes, Just Good Friends, A Fine Romance...?

Wasn't the theme to Brushstrokes performed by Dexy's Midnight Runners?

• Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 19th Jul 17, 11:01 AM
    • 7,912 Posts
    • 9,822 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Has anyone mentioned the crop of "romantic sitcoms" - Brushstrokes, Just Good Friends, A Fine Romance...?

Wasn't the theme to Brushstrokes performed by Dexy's Midnight Runners?
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Never saw Brushtrokes.
    Just Good Friends - Gosh Paul Nicholas
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 19th Jul 17, 11:58 AM
    • 8,831 Posts
    • 8,202 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Also I suddenly remembered The Brittas Empire for some reason.

• partlydave
    • By partlydave 19th Jul 17, 8:54 PM
    • 19,409 Posts
    • 55,313 Thanks
    partlydave
    Early doors. Brilliant. I have never bought a box set, but i had to have this. And is still is the only box set i own. A comedy on bbc 2 in the noughties.
    Originally posted by alanjones60
    "whats the capital of Chile?"

"is it con carne Eddie"
    Justice for the 96 YNWA
    Silver linings are the best
    Do not regret growing older, it is a privilege denied to many.
    If I lay here, If I just lay here
    will you lie with me and just forget the world
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,728Posts Today

8,261Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin