Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rebecca Palmer
    • By Rebecca Palmer 12th Jul 17, 2:56 PM
    • 38Posts
    • 52Thanks
    Rebecca Palmer
    Saving
    • 12th Jul 17, 2:56 PM
    Saving 12th Jul 17 at 2:56 PM
    Hi. Would you suggest "Smart Meters" for the whole building? A friend said it can log any usage and when it happened. We've been trying to save energy and cost so my Dad asked me to find the best solution. Suggestions?
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 12th Jul 17, 3:59 PM
    • 9,479 Posts
    • 3,872 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:59 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:59 PM
    Smart Meters do not save energy .
    User saves energy by turning down off using less .
    • hans 2
    • By hans 2 12th Jul 17, 4:07 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    hans 2
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:07 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:07 PM
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 12th Jul 17, 11:15 PM
    • 4,971 Posts
    • 2,598 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:15 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:15 PM
    Don't get a first-generation "smart" meter. The only use mine has is to save me sending in the gas and electricity meter readings every month!

When available, consider getting a second-generation "smart" meter.

Have a read of http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/smart-meters/article/smart-meters-explained/getting-a-smart-meter-installed...

+1 for JJ Egan's post!
    • Jivesinger
    • By Jivesinger 12th Jul 17, 11:39 PM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 708 Thanks
    Jivesinger
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:39 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:39 PM
    I expect the novelty wears off pretty quickly so I imagine any energy savings caused by going round switching stuff off when the meter goes into the red will be temporary.

Plus you can go around switching stuff off without needing a meter telling you to do so.

I don't buy the adverts telling us that they stop estimated bills either - many people will pay a monthly direct debit which is based on, guess what, estimated usage. And in any case, estimated bills aren't the end of the world for most people as you still pay eventually when an actual meter reading is taken, it's just slightly less risk of getting an unexpected big bill.
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 13th Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    • 4,971 Posts
    • 2,598 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    Conversely, my monthly Ovo bills are based on the actual meter readings sent from the "smart" meters by the attached mobile phone device on or near the last day of the month.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 13th Jul 17, 12:31 PM
    • 18,648 Posts
    • 15,548 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:31 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:31 PM
    I have smart meters.

The big advantage for me, and the only reason I have them, is that the nagging letters telling me I need a smart meter have stopped dropping through my letter box.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 13th Jul 17, 1:10 PM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:10 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:10 PM
    Smart meters are primarily designed to eventually offer discounted electricity at times of low demand and surplus supply from solar and wind generation, e.g. a warm sunny day with plenty of wind. It's not dissimilar to storage heaters and electric cars using Economy 7 "off peak" electricity to take advantage of the output from coal and nuclear generated power.

Unfortunately the initial roll out has resulted in thousands of meters that can't even send in readings to new suppliers, let alone offer discounted daytime electricity. My E.On meter can't send readings to Scottish Power!

On the subject of saving money, they are useful to a point. My consumption at the moment is 182 Watts, with a desktop computer, CCTV system and maybe the fridge/freezer too. The consumption drops to around 38 Watts as a minimum (CCTV, clock radio, etc.).

Replacing filament bulbs with LED ones, and making sure your loft has a lot of insulation, will save a lot of energy... a smart meter helps a little, even once the novelty wears off.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 13th Jul 17, 4:01 PM
    • 3,034 Posts
    • 3,074 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:01 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:01 PM
    If you needed ANY justification for the above just look at the 7.8bn they have been making by ripping us off

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40568869
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    That's the energy networks, not the energy companies. (Consumer pay companies, who buy off the networks).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 14th Jul 17, 10:23 AM
    • 7,053 Posts
    • 7,519 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Rockon DavidP24, what you missed was a couple of things,the rubbish SM's that are being foisted on the public have massive security holes, practically nothing to stop malicious actors messing with your bill just for the heck of it

And, they are generally incompatible between suppliers so when you switch from one to another in the future whose to say there wont be a "meter charge" to cover that cost, making switching uneconomic and thereby making the whole exercise pointless.

Which it is in any case because lets say your SM shows your oven is using a lot of electricity at the moment. Is that a lot compared to your average use? Well No **** Sherlock, what re you going to go, stop making Sunday lunch?

Or is it a lot compared to the Hokey Cokey Model 42? Nope, wont show you that. Useless.

As said they are a ludicrous idea, and whats worse a badly executed ludicrous idea.

Left a light on unnecessarily? Well, if you need a SM to work out you need to switch it off, you have bigger problems.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th Jul 17, 6:23 PM
    • 25,435 Posts
    • 10,084 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    I have smart meters.

The big advantage for me, and the only reason I have them, is that the nagging letters telling me I need a smart meter have stopped dropping through my letter box.
    Originally posted by wealdroam

Lucky You

Mum had letters and phone calls from British Gas to come and fit a Smart Meter.

Slight issue was that she had left BG and gone to another company so not a BG customer.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

957Posts Today

6,684Users online

Martin's Twitter