Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Denene
    • By Denene 12th Jul 17, 1:47 PM
    • 128Posts
    • 174Thanks
    Denene
    Removing hearth
    • 12th Jul 17, 1:47 PM
    Removing hearth 12th Jul 17 at 1:47 PM
    I'm in the middle of removing my fireplace as it is not in use and takes up too much space. The hearth, I've discovered, is made of some kind of concrete (?) covered in tiles, and I've been unable to shift it with a hammer, bolster and pry bar. Is it worth me buying a sledgehammer or hiring some kind of drill, or should I find a professional to do it?

Pic 1

Pic 2
Page 1
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 12th Jul 17, 3:26 PM
    • 3,667 Posts
    • 7,360 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:26 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:26 PM
    You are in for quite a job there, but now you've started....

The hearth will be on solid concrete, going down to sub floor base layer. The rest of your floor will, I suspect, be on wooden support joists, with floorboards above.

You won't be able to simply lay flooring on a lowered concrete base, as it will never level correctly, and will move less than the rest of the floor. You'll have to remove the hearth, and then extend the joists with suitable wood, then lay flooring onto that (matching the depth of any floorboards that underlie your fake ones).

Next problem you have is, is that heart also helping support the chimney breast? It shouldn't, but take any bit of substantial mass away, the rest will be less stable.

Of less significance, but still of note, you'll need to replace the skirting on each side, and match it in with the rest, and sort out that (aerial) cable.

Are you sure you want to do this? If the tiles are undamaged, can you replace the edging strip and stop?

Professional, in answer to your question, since you ask!

(Now I've rambled, Doozer can give the right answer )
    • Denene
    • By Denene 12th Jul 17, 7:07 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    Denene
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:07 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:07 PM
    Oh dear.... The mantelpiece was held on with 2 screws and some glue so I was hoping this wouldn't be too securely attached. It's annoying because I could really use that 10 inches of floor space!

I was okay with replacing skirting and possibly the flooring but it sounds like it will be a lot more work than I expected. (The aerial is another piece of mystery cable from some previous owner!)

I am planning to get some building work done to the kitchen so maybe I can get this done at the same time. Plan b would be, as you say, to put it back together. New edging and tiles painted.

Thanks for detailed reply!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,087Posts Today

8,995Users online

Martin's Twitter