Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jaith
    • By Jaith 12th Jul 17, 1:46 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 8Thanks
    Jaith
    0 WOW
    Forced to Pay Extra Goldcar Fees after Booking
    • 12th Jul 17, 1:46 PM
    0 WOW
    Forced to Pay Extra Goldcar Fees after Booking 12th Jul 17 at 1:46 PM
    We rented a vehicle from Goldcar via holidayextras.co.uk. On turning up to collect the car we were told that because we had chosen the 'Full to Empty' policy, we would have to pay a non-refundable €21 charge for the use of the scheme (on top of any fuel we might use).

I told them we intended to return the car full so they would incur no costs, and that we hadn't been made aware of the fees. They said we should have been notified of this in the T&C when booking, and despite arguing for a while, we were forced to pay the fee or be stranded without a vehicle.

I have examined the T&C closely since and there was no mention either on Goldcar or holidayextras. There is only a vague clause saying that charges will be made for a full tank, and then refunded, 'excluding operational and logistical expenses'. Clearly, if we return the car full then they have no operational or logistical expenses, so no charge is justified in this case.

I am now deciding how to proceed, most likely with a complaint followed up by credit card chargeback if required. Ideally I would claim back against Goldcar, but the fact is I did pay the transaction in order to avoid being stranded. Should I therefore:

a) Make the claim against Goldcar, on the grounds that they forced us to pay a fee not stated in their T&Cs

or

b) Pursue a claim with holidayextras.co.uk, on the grounds that they sold us a car rental service which was not possible to use without extra fees, which they did not state at the time of booking.

Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by Jaith; 12-07-2017 at 1:49 PM.
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 12th Jul 17, 4:40 PM
    • 2,918 Posts
    • 1,282 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:40 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:40 PM
    Or c) Take a look at the nearby 17-page 'Beware - Goldcar...' thread, and consider yourself very lucky to have escaped so lightly, especially if you were refunded for the returned full tank with only a 21€ fee. You did well, most people don't know about the possibility to return the tank full on a Goldcar 'full to empty'.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 12th Jul 17, 5:38 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:38 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:38 PM
    We rented a vehicle from Goldcar via holidayextras.co.uk. On turning up to collect the car we were told that because we had chosen the 'Full to Empty' policy, we would have to pay a non-refundable €21 charge for the use of the scheme (on top of any fuel we might use).

I told them we intended to return the car full so they would incur no costs, and that we hadn't been made aware of the fees. They said we should have been notified of this in the T&C when booking, and despite arguing for a while, we were forced to pay the fee or be stranded without a vehicle.

I have examined the T&C closely since and there was no mention either on Goldcar or holidayextras. There is only a vague clause saying that charges will be made for a full tank, and then refunded, 'excluding operational and logistical expenses'. Clearly, if we return the car full then they have no operational or logistical expenses, so no charge is justified in this case.

I am now deciding how to proceed, most likely with a complaint followed up by credit card chargeback if required. Ideally I would claim back against Goldcar, but the fact is I did pay the transaction in order to avoid being stranded. Should I therefore:

a) Make the claim against Goldcar, on the grounds that they forced us to pay a fee not stated in their T&Cs

or

b) Pursue a claim with holidayextras.co.uk, on the grounds that they sold us a car rental service which was not possible to use without extra fees, which they did not state at the time of booking.

Thanks for any advice.
    Originally posted by Jaith
    You'll get nowhere.

If it looks to good to be true, check their T&C;

https://www.goldcar.es/en/sdr/

It's all there, in a confusing manner.
    • Jaith
    • By Jaith 15th Jul 17, 3:58 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Jaith
    • 15th Jul 17, 3:58 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 3:58 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

Indeed I should possibly have researched it better, but that doesn't change my legal rights. The T&C I agreed to at the time of sale didn't state or link to the fee schedules.

There was only the vague reference to 'operational or logistical expenses' which are none since I returned the car full.

It might not be worth my time pursuing this for certain, but legally I can base any claim on what was presented to me at the point of sale.
    • steve1500
    • By steve1500 16th Jul 17, 9:06 AM
    • 961 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    steve1500
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:06 AM
    • 16th Jul 17, 9:06 AM
    I posted about this racket a few months ago or similar.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5612723
    Private Parking Tickets is my way of telling the wife to use her car and not mine
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,170Posts Today

6,894Users online

Martin's Twitter