Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • birtley90
    • By birtley90 12th Jul 17, 1:25 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 12Thanks
    birtley90
    Teacher told child she could wet herself
    • 12th Jul 17, 1:25 PM
    Teacher told child she could wet herself 12th Jul 17 at 1:25 PM
    My daughter year 6 asked the teacher if she could go to the toilet during the afternoon but was refused. She waited a bit and asked again but was told to wait until hometime. My daughter said she couldn't wait that long and the teacher replied with "If you can't wait you will just have to wet yourself"

Fuming with the teacher!
Page 3
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 12th Jul 17, 3:10 PM
    • 3,645 Posts
    • 4,319 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    I teach year 4 so they are 8 and 9, so the period excuse is rare. They know the rules go at break or wait during lesson, it is up to them to make the right choice
    Originally posted by louiseturner
    Okay, that's fine for your class. But we are talking about an 11 year old in year 6 and you said for them to bring a note in?
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    House Worth (approx) - £400,000
    Mortgages (2nd July 2017) - £183,377.40
    Equity - £216,522.60
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 12th Jul 17, 3:11 PM
    • 21,904 Posts
    • 56,014 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Here we go:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5665398&highlight=toilet
    Different age though.

To the OP:
    So are you leaving it at that or do you plan to take it further?
    Originally posted by Pollycat

And also by a newbie!

Im sure the teacher will know the girl well by now at the end if the school year. She'll have made a judgement on whether the girl,is trying it on or not.

Btw: if she was on her period she could have gone quietly to the teacher and whispered to her. Junior school is rarely staff holding forth and pupils sitting in silence.
    Last edited by pollypenny; 13-07-2017 at 9:31 AM.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • KateySW
    • By KateySW 12th Jul 17, 3:11 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    KateySW
    Ahhh some real d!jà vu here. There's even the teacher who joined MSE today and is using a full name while she tells us about her policy on no toilet breaks...
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 12th Jul 17, 3:14 PM
    • 7,857 Posts
    • 26,055 Thanks
    fairy lights
    Anyway, who hasn't !!!!ed themselves in public at some point? It's character building.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 12th Jul 17, 3:22 PM
    • 27,830 Posts
    • 70,722 Thanks
    Mojisola
    Like I said if they have their period they can bring a note from home
    Originally posted by louiseturner
    Do you think periods always start at specific times?

Have you never started during the day?
    • jondav
    • By jondav 12th Jul 17, 3:26 PM
    • 596 Posts
    • 434 Thanks
    jondav
    You think every time a girl is on their period, they should bring in a note from home excusing them to go to the toilet?

Isn't this a little embarrassing for an 11 year old to have to hand to possibly a male teacher?
    Originally posted by pollyanna24
    Don't be ridiculous.

A young girl of this age who has started her period will have (or should have had) that conversation with her parents, at least her mother.

And during that conversation, a responsible mother would explain to her daughter how to be prepared, how to be discreet and how to make sure that they don't have to skip out of class just s few minutes after having a break.

They will have to learn to deal with periods sooner or later - why not start now??

Mollycoddled, spoiled kids are the reason this country is in such a mess - they expect everything to just go their way and the worst thing is the parents back them up!!
    Last edited by jondav; 12-07-2017 at 3:28 PM.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 12th Jul 17, 3:41 PM
    • 27,830 Posts
    • 70,722 Thanks
    Mojisola
    And during that conversation, a responsible mother would explain to her daughter how to be prepared, how to be discreet and how to make sure that they don't have to skip out of class just s few minutes after having a break.
    Originally posted by jondav
    As a responsible adult, I've had to leave meetings suddenly to get to the loo quickly when a period started.

Not every woman has regular, low-flow periods.
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 12th Jul 17, 3:46 PM
    • 3,645 Posts
    • 4,319 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    Don't be ridiculous.

A young girl of this age who has started her period will have (or should have had) that conversation with her parents, at least her mother.

They will have to learn to deal with periods sooner or later - why not start now??

Mollycoddled, spoiled kids are the reason this country is in such a mess - they expect everything to just go their way and the worst thing is the parents back them up!!
    Are you male? Once in school, in the summer, I wasn't allowed to go the toilet for the above reason. Wasn't much over 11. Summer dresses were stupidly white with grey stripes.

Got into huge trouble for wearing my cardigan tied around my waist. Point blank refused to take it off. In the end, I got sent home after ringing my mother in tears as I didn't want to tell the teachers the reason why.

I don't think this is about spoiled kids to be fair.
    Equity - £216,522.60
    • KateySW
    • By KateySW 12th Jul 17, 3:53 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    KateySW
    Don't be ridiculous.

Sigh...

I'm going to skip over the weird comment about kids ruining the country because honestly the whole 'this generation is all that's wrong in society' thing is as old as flipping time and yawn (not to mention it's incredibly weird to make that comment in relation to girls learning how to deal with periods)...

So I'm just going to throw a wild card out there and guess that you've never had to deal with periods yourself...? Because if you had you'd know that unfortunately, as much as you can be prepared and have "learnt how to deal with it", sometimes it isn't enough. Sometimes it catches you out and it can be at the most inconvenient of times. Even as an adult. It doesn't happen every single time of course, but alas the beginning of periods cannot be neatly scheduled into a lunch break.

Needing to go for a wee and needing to deal with your period, really not the same thing. Going to the bathroom, yes, you can usually hold for at least some time. Periods, not so much. Biology, funny old thing ain't it?

N.B. very aware the OP's daughter didn't have her period, but just found that comment a tad ridiculous.
    Last edited by KateySW; 12-07-2017 at 3:58 PM.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Jul 17, 3:56 PM
    • 17,089 Posts
    • 43,235 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Lots of talk about periods but the OP's daughter wasn't having her period when she asked to go to the toilet.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 12th Jul 17, 3:59 PM
    • 27,830 Posts
    • 70,722 Thanks
    Mojisola
    Lots of talk about periods but the OP's daughter wasn't having her period when she asked to go to the toilet.
    But the teacher didn't know that.

A blanket rule that no child leaves the classroom during lessons is going to be a problem.

Having to declare to all why you want to go just isn't fair - and neither is going up to the teacher and whispering it because the other kids will still know why you're being allowed to go.
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 12th Jul 17, 4:00 PM
    • 3,645 Posts
    • 4,319 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    This is true (we assume).

But the point is, is that she could have been. And unless she announced it to the teacher (and possibly the class), the teacher wouldn't have known.
    Equity - £216,522.60
    • BJV
    • By BJV 12th Jul 17, 4:02 PM
    • 2,231 Posts
    • 3,350 Thanks
    BJV
    Anyway, who hasn't !!!!ed themselves in public at some point? It's character building.
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    God thought it was just me! ha ha. I still have flash backs to the holiday in grease when after too many beers and having been constipated, so subsequently taking far too many laxatives , I well lets just say if wetting yourself is character building I should be the most interesting person ever!!!! ha ha

Joking apart since when did having to go the the toilet for what ever reason become a cardinal sin???
    Last edited by BJV; 12-07-2017 at 4:04 PM.
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Jul 17, 4:17 PM
    • 17,089 Posts
    • 43,235 Thanks
    Pollycat
    But the teacher didn't know that.

A blanket rule that no child leaves the classroom during lessons is going to be a problem.

Having to declare to all why you want to go just isn't fair - and neither is going up to the teacher and whispering it because the other kids will still know why you're being allowed to go.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    This is true (we assume).

But the point is, is that she could have been. And unless she announced it to the teacher (and possibly the class), the teacher wouldn't have known.
    Yes, the teacher didn't know that.
    Yes, she wasn't on her period.

So - imho only - discussion about what happens when someone is having their period and wants to go to the toilet is irrelevant to the OP's specific complaint..

TBH, a lot of this discussion sounds like 'think of the children'.
    Could have.
    Might have.
    But didn't.
    • jondav
    • By jondav 12th Jul 17, 4:21 PM
    • 596 Posts
    • 434 Thanks
    jondav
    Are you male? Once in school, in the summer, I wasn't allowed to go the toilet for the above reason. Wasn't much over 11. Summer dresses were stupidly white with grey stripes.

Got into huge trouble for wearing my cardigan tied around my waist. Point blank refused to take it off. In the end, I got sent home after ringing my mother in tears as I didn't want to tell the teachers the reason why.

I don't think this is about spoiled kids to be fair.
    I am not male no, I'm female so I do know about periods and yes, I have been caught short in the past myself.

The point I was trying to make is that the mum in this situation has completely over-reacted IMO, mollycoddling the child and teaching them that they can break whatever rule they like and Mum will always back them up. Talking about taking further action etc......seriously?!

I understand that periods, particularly when young, can be embarrassing but at the end of the day, the girl was not on a period.....the mother has used it as a "what if" scenario to try to excuse the lack of respect for the teachers authority.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 12th Jul 17, 4:26 PM
    • 2,423 Posts
    • 3,383 Thanks
    Malthusian
    Ahhh some real d!jà vu here. There's even the teacher who joined MSE today and is using a full name while she tells us about her policy on no toilet breaks...
    Originally posted by KateySW
    The child should have taken off one of her plimsolls and used that in extremis.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 12th Jul 17, 4:37 PM
    • 27,830 Posts
    • 70,722 Thanks
    Mojisola
    So - imho only - discussion about what happens when someone is having their period and wants to go to the toilet is irrelevant to the OP's specific complaint.
    Where's the rule that says we're only allowed to discuss an issue in terms that are relevant to the opening post?

If a school has a blanket rule that no child is allowed out to the toilet during lesson times, a girl will eventually have an embarrassing incident.

Just because it didn't happen with the OP's child isn't a reason not to discuss it.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Jul 17, 4:42 PM
    • 17,089 Posts
    • 43,235 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Where's the rule that says we're only allowed to discuss an issue in terms that are relevant to the opening post?

If a school has a blanket rule that no child is allowed out to the toilet during lesson times, a girl will eventually have an embarrassing incident.

Just because it didn't happen with the OP's child isn't a reason not to discuss it.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    Yes, the teacher didn't know that.
    Yes, she wasn't on her period.

So - imho only - discussion about what happens when someone is having their period and wants to go to the toilet is irrelevant to the OP's specific complaint..
    ^^^^
    Did I say there was a rule that says we're only allowed to discuss an issue in terms that are relevant to the opening post?

Where is the rule that says we're not allowed to express our own opinions?

^^^^ Hypothetical question. I know there isn't one.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 12th Jul 17, 4:44 PM
    • 27,830 Posts
    • 70,722 Thanks
    Mojisola
    Where is the rule that says we're not allowed to express our own opinions?
    That's ironic! You were telling us that we should be restricting our replies.
    • jondav
    • By jondav 12th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    • 596 Posts
    • 434 Thanks
    jondav
    Sigh...

I'm going to skip over the weird comment about kids ruining the country because honestly the whole 'this generation is all that's wrong in society' thing is as old as flipping time and yawn (not to mention it's incredibly weird to make that comment in relation to girls learning how to deal with periods)...

Not weird at all IMO. Periods are a part of life. Teaching your child to be embarrassed and make a big scene about it is a huge mistake.

So I'm just going to throw a wild card out there and guess that you've never had to deal with periods yourself...? Because if you had you'd know that unfortunately, as much as you can be prepared and have "learnt how to deal with it", sometimes it isn't enough. Sometimes it catches you out and it can be at the most inconvenient of times. Even as an adult. It doesn't happen every single time of course, but alas the beginning of periods cannot be neatly scheduled into a lunch break.

Well you are wrong, I am female so I know full well about periods thanks

Needing to go for a wee and needing to deal with your period, really not the same thing. Going to the bathroom, yes, you can usually hold for at least some time. Periods, not so much. Biology, funny old thing ain't it?

N.B. very aware the OP's daughter didn't have her period, but just found that comment a tad ridiculous.
    Originally posted by KateySW
    This is the point. The period was mentioned by the mother as a "what if" scenario, which makes the situation seem much worse than it actually is. Fact is there was no period involved and the girl should have gone to the loo when she had the chance just minutes earlier.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

201Posts Today

1,235Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin