Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alex373208
    • By alex373208 12th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 0Thanks
    alex373208
    Hastings car insurance cancelled after paying in full
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    Hastings car insurance cancelled after paying in full 12th Jul 17 at 12:59 PM
    I needed to renew my car insurance so I put my details in and Hastings Insurance came up with the cheapest quote £180, so I went ahead.

A few days after paying for my insurance upfront I became ill and had to spend a few weeks in hospital.

On arriving home I was surprised to find a letter on my doormat saying my insurance had been canceled and here is a refund of £19

Apparently they had tried to contact me to ask for proof of my 9 years or more no claims discount but I can't find anything and they didn't ask to see this proof upfront when taking my money

I'm glad I saw the letter before driving my car, I could have got a criminal record for driving uninsured or worse still had an accident with no cover

I phoned them up and they gave me the breakdown of charges;

£66.35 was for the insurance you had from 19/12/16 to 07/02/2017.
    £20 set up fee
    £25 administration fee
    £45 cancelltion fee
    "Majority of the money you paid went towards our fee's."

I put in a complaint and told them the situation, they didn't seem interested and just explained their fees again. The £66.35 seems high when a whole year was £180 but I'm told that is because it was recalculated (for a fee) with zero no claims bonus. I told them I can send proof of my no claims now but they aren't interested. As far as they are concerned the matter is closed
Page 2
    • rs65
    • By rs65 16th Jul 17, 5:43 PM
    • 5,294 Posts
    • 2,510 Thanks
    rs65
    Wrong. Get written proof from the old insurer it doesn't need to be declared

Why give the new insurer a reason to up the cost

I don't know how many different languages I need to say this in, if it's not cancelled for fraud it doesn't need to be declared. Try and digest it slowly
    Originally posted by alex373208
    For anyone reading this in the future, the view of the insurer who cancelled cover is irrelevant. Any future insurer decides what is important to them. For example, some insurers don't like past cancellations due to non-payment. Fraud is not the only cancellation reason that needs to be declared.
    • alex373208
    • By alex373208 16th Jul 17, 5:50 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alex373208
    If you initially paid by card, they could probably just take the additional premium, funds permitting.
    Originally posted by rs65
    Not necessarily, the Insurer would be bound by the terms and conditions of card provider
    • alex373208
    • By alex373208 16th Jul 17, 5:56 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alex373208
    For anyone reading this in the future, the view of the insurer who cancelled cover is irrelevant. Any future insurer decides what is important to them. For example, some insurers don't like past cancellations due to non-payment. Fraud is not the only cancellation reason that needs to be declared.
    Pay no attention to what this poster says

No need to declare a cancellation for any other reason than fraud

Many insurers won't like to take on someone that has a history of failing to pay, unfortunately for them they can't use this reason to refuse to insure or push the price up

If you are in any doubt take professional advice rather than listen to me, Hastings and Direct Line
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 16th Jul 17, 6:47 PM
    • 1,018 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    If you are in any doubt take professional advice rather than listen to me, Hastings and Direct Line
    I work for one of the insurers you have mentioned in your post, and you are wrong.

The law states that you have to take reasonable care to answer all questions asked.

So if the question is have you had insurance cancelled due to fraud, then you say no. If the question is have you ever had insurance cancelled... you have to say yes. Because otherwise you're deliberately lying, which can then lead to further policies being cancelled due to non disclosure.
    • ilikewatch
    • By ilikewatch 16th Jul 17, 6:59 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 1,237 Thanks
    ilikewatch
    Pay no attention to what this poster says

No need to declare a cancellation for any other reason than fraud

Many insurers won't like to take on someone that has a history of failing to pay, unfortunately for them they can't use this reason to refuse to insure or push the price up

However even when finding Hastings at fault, the FSA stated:

"However, all affected customers suffered inconvenience from Hastings' decisions to cancel the insurance policies and there may be a continuing detrimental effect on the affected customers in that they are now obliged to declare, when seeking new insurance, that they have previously had insurance cancelled. Hastings' customers may, therefore, experience difficulty in obtaining future insurance, or even pay increased premiums, despite the cancellation being through no fault on their part"
    • alex373208
    • By alex373208 16th Jul 17, 7:20 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alex373208
    I work for one of the insurers you have mentioned in your post, and you are wrong.

The law states that you have to take reasonable care to answer all questions asked.

So if the question is have you had insurance cancelled due to fraud, then you say no. If the question is have you ever had insurance cancelled... you have to say yes. Because otherwise you're deliberately lying, which can then lead to further policies being cancelled due to non disclosure.
    Originally posted by FutureGirl
    No you are wrong, I am merely repeating what Sarah (a senior complaint handler at Hastings) and a customer service advisor at Direct Line told me

I'm more likely to take notice of them than poster 'rs65' who seems to like to make an uninformed guess about things. Or someone that alleges to be with an insurance company, but won't say which one, or in what capacity

If something doesn't have to be declared you can't be accused of lying. What's the reason for the secrecy in failing to say which insurance company you are with?
    Last edited by alex373208; 16-07-2017 at 7:36 PM.
    • alex373208
    • By alex373208 16th Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alex373208
    However even when finding Hastings at fault, the FSA stated:

"However, all affected customers suffered inconvenience from Hastings' decisions to cancel the insurance policies and there may be a continuing detrimental effect on the affected customers in that they are now obliged to declare, when seeking new insurance, that they have previously had insurance cancelled. Hastings' customers may, therefore, experience difficulty in obtaining future insurance, or even pay increased premiums, despite the cancellation being through no fault on their part"
    Originally posted by ilikewatch
    What's this, a clip from a story? What's the source? Where's the rest of it?

Doesn't say what the cancellations were for, proves nothing.
    Last edited by alex373208; 16-07-2017 at 8:04 PM.
    • rs65
    • By rs65 16th Jul 17, 7:30 PM
    • 5,294 Posts
    • 2,510 Thanks
    rs65
    Have a look at Direct Line's FAQs

Have had insurance cancelled by an insurer, this includes a policy declared null and void (as though it has never existed), a renewal declined by an insurer or a policy cancelled by an insurer due to, but not restricted to, non-payment, fraud or misrepresentation;
    • alex373208
    • By alex373208 16th Jul 17, 7:51 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alex373208
    Have a look at Direct Line's FAQs

Have had insurance cancelled by an insurer, this includes a policy declared null and void (as though it has never existed), a renewal declined by an insurer or a policy cancelled by an insurer due to, but not restricted to, non-payment, fraud or misrepresentation;
    People seem to be missing the point here, I am just repeating what was told to me. I don't claim to be an expert, or know it all like some seem to be on this site

I am more inclined to take notice of someone that works in insurance, but who knows, maybe they are wrong and someone on here that doesn't work in insurance knows better

One thing I can tell you for 100% is I won't be declaring my cancellation. If I ever found myself in court over it I would quote the name of the company and person that gave me the information

I suppose someone is going to tell me I would still be liable for prosecution right?

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 17-07-2017 at 9:08 AM. Reason: Language
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th Jul 17, 8:34 PM
    • 18,703 Posts
    • 14,415 Thanks
    agrinnall
    I would suggest that anyone reading this thread should consider the posting history of the people who are saying that the insurer's question about cancellation is what matters compared to someone who makes an unverifiable claim based on what he says he was told by one person at a broker and one (unnamed) at one insurer. Or do as advised by several respected forum members, and ask the prospective insurer to clarify. Taking the OP's advice is liable to land you with an ongoing higher insurance premium.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 17-07-2017 at 9:08 AM. Reason: Quoting edited post
    • ilikewatch
    • By ilikewatch 16th Jul 17, 8:46 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 1,237 Thanks
    ilikewatch
    What's this, a clip from a story? What's the source? Where's the rest of it?

Doesn't say what the cancellations were for, proves nothing.
    Not really sure that it matters what the cancellations were for, they presumably weren't for fraud if the cancellation was "through no fault on their part"

Anyway, see 2.3 (c):

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/final-notices/hastings.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiiusz4xo7VAhWsJsAKHRhCAGEQ FggfMAA&usg=AFQjCNHOZtzI8RcUOZ9GvzecaP7Z7k1evg
    • alex373208
    • By alex373208 16th Jul 17, 8:58 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alex373208
    Not really sure that it matters what the cancellations were for, they presumably weren't for fraud if the cancellation was "through no fault on their part"

Anyway, see 2.3 (c):

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/final-notices/hastings.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiiusz4xo7VAhWsJsAKHRhCAGEQ FggfMAA&usg=AFQjCNHOZtzI8RcUOZ9GvzecaP7Z7k1evg
    Originally posted by ilikewatch
    Sounds like a bit of scare mongering to me

Very old information too, not far short of a decade

Don't believe everything you read on the internet
    Last edited by alex373208; 16-07-2017 at 9:01 PM.
    • Rainbowgirl84
    • By Rainbowgirl84 16th Jul 17, 9:22 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 857 Thanks
    Rainbowgirl84
    Sounds like a bit of scare mongering to me

Very old information too, not far short of a decade

Don't believe everything you read on the internet
    ..and don't believe everything you get told on the phone. Get them to put it in writing.
    • alex373208
    • By alex373208 16th Jul 17, 9:34 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alex373208
    I was advised by an insurance complaints handler at Hastings that only fraudulent cancellations need to be declared

I was advised by an insurance customer service operator at Direct Line that only fraudulent cancellations need to be declared

I can't be accused of giving wrong information because I am passing on what I was told, I think I have made that clear

My advice to anyone who reads this thread is to take more notice of the two insurers that I have mentioned than the 'respected' forum members on here, most of which have never worked in insurance. Phone them yourselves and get them to clarify the situation

What you shouldn't do is listen to the scare mongering on here and wind up declaring any cancellation without question

My gut feeling is don't declare a cancellation to the next provider if the reason for the cancellation was, like me, you failed to provide proof of your NCD
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 17-07-2017 at 9:10 AM. Reason: Quoting edited post
    • rs65
    • By rs65 16th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    • 5,294 Posts
    • 2,510 Thanks
    rs65
    Did you read the Direct Line FAQ I quoted? Does it have credibility?
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 17-07-2017 at 9:10 AM. Reason: Quoting edited post
    • alex373208
    • By alex373208 16th Jul 17, 9:39 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alex373208
    ..and don't believe everything you get told on the phone. Get them to put it in writing.
    Originally posted by Rainbowgirl84
    I said I was more likely to believe someone who works in insurance than a have a go poster on here and I stick by the statement
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 17-07-2017 at 9:10 AM. Reason: Inappropriate posting
    • alex373208
    • By alex373208 16th Jul 17, 9:45 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alex373208
    Did you read the Direct Line FAQ I quoted? Does it have credibility?
    These FAQ can be easily misconstrued, so for me no, it doesn't have credibility

I will talk to the Hastings complaints handler again though and tell her you think she's wrong, I'm also interested to know why my NCD wasn't checked on a database so I will be asking that too. I believe insurers have access to that information but if I'm wrong I feel sure I will be corrected
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 16th Jul 17, 10:01 PM
    • 5,691 Posts
    • 7,160 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    You issue them a "deadlock" notice by certified post.
    NOT FLAMING E-MAIL
    Certified post only and keep the certificate of postage .

Put in the letter you were in hospital and not in receipt of post, you can provide the information they require and then you must state what will resolve the problem.

"That the insurance is reinstated in full."

State the letter is a last deadlock resolution letter before the case is forwarded to the ombudsman for adjudication.

These companies are businesses, in business there is no sentiment, just pounds shillings and pence.
    The Ombudsman will cost them £750 win or lose.
    They will usually take the best solution based on costs.

You can ignore this advice, keep wallowing to complaints handlers over the phone or by e-mail and eventually you will be lining up with the drunk drivers at the special brokers for car insurance and it will be a very expensive next 6 years.
    Last edited by Marktheshark; 16-07-2017 at 10:04 PM.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 16th Jul 17, 10:01 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    OP, I work in insurance and I've told you you need to declare cancellations if asked.

Futuregirl works in insurance and she's told you the same.

Also, she works for one of the companies you've mentioned, it's up to her if she wants to tell you which (she has previously said who she works for in other threads).

Finally, I think (hope) a lot more people will pay attention to the FAQ's on an FCA regulated insurer, than a new poster who resorts to swearing when they are losing an argument, because they think they know better than people who
    a) work in the industry
    b) have been on here a very long time and helps thousands of other people

As to your comment "don't believe everything you read on the internet", I hope others reading your posts apply this logic to what you've been (mis)advising people.
    • alex373208
    • By alex373208 17th Jul 17, 12:20 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alex373208
    OP, I work in insurance and I've told you you need to declare cancellations if asked.

We only have your word for that, why should I believe you?

Also, she works for one of the companies you've mentioned, it's up to her if she wants to tell you which (she has previously said who she works for in other threads).

Prove it, why leave out saying which one?

Finally, I think (hope) a lot more people will pay attention to the FAQ's on an FCA regulated insurer, than a new poster who resorts to swearing when they are losing an argument, because they think they know better than people who
    a) work in the industry
    b) have been on here a very long time and helps thousands of other people

Don't think and hope, work with facts. A new poster doesn't mean they are anymore inept than any of these other have a go chancers on here. When did i swear? Clarify it. You can't, F isn't swearing, therefore your argument holds zero weight.You're clutching at straws

People like you can't be told anything, you know it all. I've got news for you, you're wrong and you don't like it. Tough pill to swallow isn't it

As to your comment "don't believe everything you read on the internet", I hope others reading your posts apply this logic to what you've been (mis)advising people.
    Originally posted by paddyandstumpy
    Yes, and I have made it clear they double check the information I have been good enough to provide.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 17-07-2017 at 9:14 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

2,011Users online

Martin's Twitter