Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alex373208
    • By alex373208 12th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 0Thanks
    alex373208
    Hastings car insurance cancelled after paying in full
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    Hastings car insurance cancelled after paying in full 12th Jul 17 at 12:59 PM
    I needed to renew my car insurance so I put my details in and Hastings Insurance came up with the cheapest quote £180, so I went ahead.

A few days after paying for my insurance upfront I became ill and had to spend a few weeks in hospital.

On arriving home I was surprised to find a letter on my doormat saying my insurance had been canceled and here is a refund of £19

Apparently they had tried to contact me to ask for proof of my 9 years or more no claims discount but I can't find anything and they didn't ask to see this proof upfront when taking my money

I'm glad I saw the letter before driving my car, I could have got a criminal record for driving uninsured or worse still had an accident with no cover

I phoned them up and they gave me the breakdown of charges;

£66.35 was for the insurance you had from 19/12/16 to 07/02/2017.
    £20 set up fee
    £25 administration fee
    £45 cancelltion fee
    "Majority of the money you paid went towards our fee's."

I put in a complaint and told them the situation, they didn't seem interested and just explained their fees again. The £66.35 seems high when a whole year was £180 but I'm told that is because it was recalculated (for a fee) with zero no claims bonus. I told them I can send proof of my no claims now but they aren't interested. As far as they are concerned the matter is closed
Page 1
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 12th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    • 3,566 Posts
    • 2,239 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 12th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    what was in the T+C regarding charges?? They would usually contact you by mail or email to get proof, did this happen? You being ill is not their concern, they cannot know this at the time nor do they care. It's nothing personal but business.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Jul 17, 2:16 PM
    • 32,027 Posts
    • 16,103 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 12th Jul 17, 2:16 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 2:16 PM
    As having a cancellation on your record is so detrimental to you (remains with you for ever/ must disclose it when applying for insurance ior going as a named driver/ most online insurers won't quote you/ premiums from those who do will be high etc), you need to try and get it retracted and your policy reinstated

They have a rep who gets alerted when their name is mentioned. May be worth taking up any offer of help.

Otherwise try a complaint that you haven't been treated fairly as you didn't get the request and take it from the reply
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 12th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    I dont recall giving proof in the past few years. My insurance is due today.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 17,863 Posts
    • 13,556 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    I dont recall giving proof in the past few years. My insurance is due today.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    I've never heard of any car insurer NOT requiring proof of NCD, unless you always renew with the same insurer, in which case the NCD you gave when you first insured with them will have been updated every subsequent year. Although if that's what's happened you are almost certainly paying a higher premium than you need to.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 12th Jul 17, 9:35 PM
    • 25,273 Posts
    • 10,033 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:35 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:35 PM
    Easy they send you the bill and then debt collection letters and maybe even court with additional costs added.

Dont forget that insurers are often linked so you maybe losing out of cheaper deals in future.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Clifford_Pope
    • By Clifford_Pope 13th Jul 17, 10:21 AM
    • 3,270 Posts
    • 3,273 Thanks
    Clifford_Pope
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:21 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:21 AM
    I've never heard of any car insurer NOT requiring proof of NCD,.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    I had always assumed insurers exchanged NCD and other information.

In 50 years of insuring cars and quite often switching insurers, I have NEVER been asked for proof of NCD. I have stated my current insurer so I just assumed the new one automatically checks with the previous one.
    • Mungo76
    • By Mungo76 13th Jul 17, 10:54 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Mungo76
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:54 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 10:54 AM
    I went from Gladiator to Halifax the other day, they didn't require proof.

I have been asked in the past though.
  • Hastings Direct company representative
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:10 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 12:10 PM
    Hi Alex, I am very sorry to see this. Please e-mail us at socialmedia@hastingsdirect.com Please include your policy number, full name, Dob and vehicle reg in the e-mail. We will offer as much assistance as we can ~Connor
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Hastings Direct. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • alex373208
    • By alex373208 15th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alex373208
    Hi, thanks to anyone that has replied

Having spoke to the complaints handlers it seems they are sticking to their guns and their charges, I will now take my complaint on to the ombudsman just to see what happens but don't hold out much hope

To me it's not the money, but the principle. in my opinion If the proof of NCD is so important to the insurer they should ask to see it before any money is taken, rather than take the money, request to see it at a later time and then use any oversight as a reason to cancel and keep most of your payment. They hide behind their terms & conditions but that doesn't mean to say this sort of thing isn't unscrupulous

Just to help anyone who is concerned that having insurance cancelled will mean you have to declare it to your next insurer this is not always the case. A cancellation only has to be declared if the reasons were fraud. A cancellation does not have to be declared if the reasons were failure to pay an instalment or not sending certain documents like NCD proof
    Last edited by alex373208; 15-07-2017 at 1:22 PM.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 15th Jul 17, 1:54 PM
    • 32,027 Posts
    • 16,103 Thanks
    Quentin

Just to help anyone who is concerned that having insurance cancelled will mean you have to declare it to your next insurer this is not always the case. A cancellation only has to be declared if the reasons were fraud. A cancellation does not have to be declared if the reasons were failure to pay an instalment or not sending certain documents like NCD proof
    Originally posted by alex373208
    This could be dangerous advice.

You normally are asked if you have ever had a policy cancellation by an insurer.

If you have had a cancellation the answer is yes.

(Where did you get this from, and which other docs were you told that not supplying them means you need not disclose any cancellation resulting from not providing them?)
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 15th Jul 17, 3:50 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    sevenhills
    I had always assumed insurers exchanged NCD and other information.

In 50 years of insuring cars and quite often switching insurers, I have NEVER been asked for proof of NCD. I have stated my current insurer so I just assumed the new one automatically checks with the previous one.
    Originally posted by Clifford_Pope
    I have just changed from Hastings to Esure, there was a standard message about me providing proof of NCD, but then after I paid they sent me an email saying that they didnt need proof because they had got the information from a data base.

I guess they do keep information about us all, in this case it helps.
    • alex373208
    • By alex373208 16th Jul 17, 12:36 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alex373208
    This was the advice I was given be the complaint handler at Hastings Insurance

I also contacted Direct Line for a second opinion and they verified it

A cancelled insurance policy only has to be declared if the reasons for the cancellation were fraud.

Forgetting/being unable to send a document, or defaulting on a payment doesn't constitute as fraud.

Perhaps the Hastings Rep on this thread could confirm this, or I would suggest if anyone is in doubt they contact the insurer that cancelled their policy and double check
    Last edited by alex373208; 16-07-2017 at 12:40 PM.
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 16th Jul 17, 1:00 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    The acceptance criteria for one insurer may differ from another.

If you have an insurer cancelled policy in your history and you are asked "have you ever had a policy cancelled" then you have to (truthfully) answer "yes".

You can then elaborate on that answer and it is up to each insurer to underwrite based on their criteria.

But to offer general advice saying if it's not a fraud linked cancellation you don't need to disclose it could be bad advice.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 16th Jul 17, 1:37 PM
    • 3,383 Posts
    • 1,331 Thanks
    footyguy
    If an insurer asks you for proof of NCD, and you fail to provide that, then usually they simply ask for the additional premium.

It would seem the insurer was prepared to insure you even without NCD, assuming the approprioate premiun was paid, as they did insure you for almost 2 months.

Seems more to this matter than the OP is letting on.
    OP - I would suggest you follow the advice given in post#9, but by doing so, you may well let the cat out of the bag!
    • alex373208
    • By alex373208 16th Jul 17, 5:12 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alex373208
    The acceptance criteria for one insurer may differ from another.

If you have an insurer cancelled policy in your history and you are asked "have you ever had a policy cancelled" then you have to (truthfully) answer "yes".

You can then elaborate on that answer and it is up to each insurer to underwrite based on their criteria.

But to offer general advice saying if it's not a fraud linked cancellation you don't need to disclose it could be bad advice.
    Originally posted by paddyandstumpy

It's not noted in your history if the reasons for the cancellation were not fraud, therefore does not have to be declared. Could be bad advice? Could be great advice to those thinking they HAVE to declare it without question

Like I said if people are in any doubt then contact the insurer that cancelled the policy, ask them if it should be declared. If they say no then produce their statement in court. Case dismissed
    Last edited by alex373208; 16-07-2017 at 5:14 PM.
    • alex373208
    • By alex373208 16th Jul 17, 5:23 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alex373208
    If an insurer asks you for proof of NCD, and you fail to provide that, then usually they simply ask for the additional premium.

It would seem the insurer was prepared to insure you even without NCD, assuming the approprioate premiun was paid, as they did insure you for almost 2 months.

Seems more to this matter than the OP is letting on.
    OP - I would suggest you follow the advice given in post#9, but by doing so, you may well let the cat out of the bag!
    Originally posted by footyguy
    If I wasn't responding to the request for the proof of NCD it is unlikely I would respond to the request for the additional premium surely? Keep up Sherlock

The insurance has already been cancelled and the complaint handler has closed the case, what good would talking to someone else from Hastings insurance do?
    Last edited by alex373208; 16-07-2017 at 5:25 PM.
    • rs65
    • By rs65 16th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    • 5,132 Posts
    • 2,438 Thanks
    rs65
    Like I said if people are in any doubt then contact the insurer that cancelled the policy, ask them if it should be declared. If they say no then produce their statement in court. Case dismissed
    No. Contact the insurers you are thinking of going with and ask them. They are the ones that matter.
    • rs65
    • By rs65 16th Jul 17, 5:25 PM
    • 5,132 Posts
    • 2,438 Thanks
    rs65
    If I wasn't responding to the request for the proof of NCD it is unlikely I would respond to the request for the additional premium surely? Keep up Sherlock
    If you initially paid by card, they could probably just take the additional premium, funds permitting.
    • alex373208
    • By alex373208 16th Jul 17, 5:30 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alex373208
    No. Contact the insurers you are thinking of going with and ask them. They are the ones that matter.
    Originally posted by rs65
    Wrong. Get written proof from the old insurer it doesn't need to be declared

Why give the new insurer a reason to up the cost

I don't know how many different languages I need to say this in, if it's not cancelled for fraud it doesn't need to be declared. Try and digest it slowly
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

893Posts Today

7,030Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin