Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jet
    • By Jet 12th Jul 17, 12:57 PM
    • 1,508Posts
    • 974Thanks
    Jet
    Buy to let - alternatives
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:57 PM
    Buy to let - alternatives 12th Jul 17 at 12:57 PM
    I have two rental properties. I am seriously considering selling one and keeping the other, mainly because I am finding being a landlord a stressful business. I will probably realise about 50k capital after fees and taxes and paying off the mortgages.

I am thinking that peer2peer lending might be an option for investing the money? I would like to get some sort of income from the money and not just put it into savings which the interest will be less than inflation. I am prepared to take some risk with the money but also want to know what I am doing too and not be "going in blind"!

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.
Page 1
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 12th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    • 55,824 Posts
    • 49,191 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 12th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    Have you made adequate pension provision.
    "Wide diversification is only required when investors do not understand what they are doing." - Warren Buffett
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 12th Jul 17, 1:10 PM
    • 5,786 Posts
    • 5,670 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 12th Jul 17, 1:10 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 1:10 PM
    I have two rental properties. I am seriously considering selling one and keeping the other, mainly because I am finding being a landlord a stressful business.
    Originally posted by Jet
    But you'd still be a landlord, just with one less property?

Anyway, P2P is certainly an option, although not renowned for income generation as such (it's more about growth).

Investing (in funds, equities, bonds, etc) is probably worth considering if you're prepared to do so for the long term - there are products to suit all risk appetites and some favour income rather than growth. There are a few other current 'how do I get started' threads on the go at the moment so there's plenty of advice about where to research this.
    Last edited by eskbanker; 13-07-2017 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Inaccurate P2P comment corrected by subsequent posters
    • Jet
    • By Jet 12th Jul 17, 1:19 PM
    • 1,508 Posts
    • 974 Thanks
    Jet
    • 12th Jul 17, 1:19 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 1:19 PM

Originally posted by eskbanker
    Yes, I would. I live in a "tied cottage" with my partner and I want to keep one property for my own security and also to pass on to my son someday.

I will look into bonds and investments and actually I don't have any other pension provision other than these 2 properties, so I need to consider that too.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 12th Jul 17, 7:47 PM
    • 10,671 Posts
    • 6,970 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:47 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:47 PM

Anyway, P2P is certainly an option, although not renowned for income generation as such (it's more about growth).

Investing (in funds, equities, bonds, etc) is probably worth considering if you're prepared to do so for the long term - there are products to suit all risk appetites and some favour income rather than growth. There are a few other current 'how do I get started' threads on the go at the moment so there's plenty of advice about where to research this.
    P2p is all about income generation, little opportunity for growth unless you buy or sell above or below par on those platforms that operate variable pricing.
    • zzzt
    • By zzzt 13th Jul 17, 11:50 AM
    • 222 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    zzzt
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:50 AM
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:50 AM
    P2P is certainly an option, although not renowned for income generation as such (it's more about growth).
    Why do you say that? I would have thought the opposite.

P2P lending would give an expected and steady income over a short or medium term (1-5 years). It wouldn't provide growth unless you were continually reinvesting the earnings, but if you wanted growth you'd be better off with a passive index tracker fund I would have thought, just let it increase in value over 15+ years.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

2,400Users online

Martin's Twitter