Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ERICS MUM
    • By ERICS MUM 12th Jul 17, 11:46 AM
    • 3,423Posts
    • 6,357Thanks
    ERICS MUM
    New Window (knocking a hole through the wall).
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:46 AM
    New Window (knocking a hole through the wall). 12th Jul 17 at 11:46 AM
    I'm having someone come round to give me a quote etc for knocking a hole in an external wall, fixing the lintel etc and installing the window unit. Obscure glass with just an opening fan light at the top.

Anyway the purpose of this post is to get a rough idea of cost before they turn up.

I'm looking at roughly width 1000mm and the height of a bathroom window (sorry, forgotten what I measured).

I know this a bit vague! I'm in the Essex-London commuter belt so assume prices might be higher than further out.

If anyone could give me an idea of what I should be paying, maximum etc I would be grateful.
Page 1
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 12th Jul 17, 12:06 PM
    • 23,841 Posts
    • 50,492 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:06 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:06 PM
    Are they supplying the window too?
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 12th Jul 17, 1:31 PM
    • 9,449 Posts
    • 10,618 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 12th Jul 17, 1:31 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 1:31 PM
    Have you checked with your local council planning department to find out if any planning permission or building regulations approval is needed?
    • ERICS MUM
    • By ERICS MUM 12th Jul 17, 2:07 PM
    • 3,423 Posts
    • 6,357 Thanks
    ERICS MUM
    • 12th Jul 17, 2:07 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 2:07 PM
    Yes they are supplying the window.

Yes, the council regs say it must be obscured glass (possible to spy on neighbour's with clear glass). The company is FENSA accredited which they tell me means the work doesn't need to be checked and signed off by a buildings reg inspector. The company supplies me with the certificate.
    • teneighty
    • By teneighty 12th Jul 17, 3:17 PM
    • 986 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    teneighty
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:17 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:17 PM
    Yes they are supplying the window.

Yes, the council regs say it must be obscured glass (possible to spy on neighbour's with clear glass). The company is FENSA accredited which they tell me means the work doesn't need to be checked and signed off by a buildings reg inspector. The company supplies me with the certificate.
    Originally posted by ERICS MUM
    The FENSA scheme will only cover the window, not forming the new opening in the wall, that will require Building Regs application.

Cost for the work, roughly around £1000 - £1200 depending on size.
    • ERICS MUM
    • By ERICS MUM 12th Jul 17, 5:08 PM
    • 3,423 Posts
    • 6,357 Thanks
    ERICS MUM
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:08 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:08 PM
    The FENSA scheme will only cover the window, not forming the new opening in the wall, that will require Building Regs application.

Cost for the work, roughly around £1000 - £1200 depending on size.
    Originally posted by teneighty
    Been quoted £1261 inc VAT for 1000 mm width. 15% deposit and the balance will be invoiced and due once work has been completed and I'm happy with it. I must call the council tomorrow re building regs.

Thanks for your help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,030Posts Today

6,767Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• Follow Martin