Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 12th Jul 17, 11:32 AM
    • 1,659Posts
    • 15,186Thanks
    csarina2
    Humax Boxes
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:32 AM
    Humax Boxes 12th Jul 17 at 11:32 AM
    Some years ago I bought a Humax box which has served us very well, but we cannot record more than one programme at the same time which can be annoying.

Are you able to record more than one programme at the same time with the newer boxes? Is it worth shelling out £300 for a new box?
Page 2
    • psychic teabag
    • By psychic teabag 13th Jul 17, 4:08 PM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 1,537 Thanks
    psychic teabag
    I don't know anything about freesat, but
    https://www.freesat.co.uk/help/get-freesat/faq/recording-while-watching
    seems to suggest you need two cables from satellite in order to watch two programs. That's consistent with onomatopoeia99's reply above.

(I know that freeview receives all signals in parallel and the demux in the tuner picks it out. I had a feeling that freesat the demuxing happened at the dish. Or at least some of it.)
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 13th Jul 17, 7:50 PM
    • 8,836 Posts
    • 4,415 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    For Freesat each tuner sends a voltage and frequency to a port on the LNB. that selects horizontal or vertical polarization and which downlink frequency to use. Each selection is a multiplex just the same as for Freeview. You need twin tuners and at least a 2 port LNB and coax to be sure of recording one program and watching another but just as with Freeview some combinations of programs will work OK with only the one tuner and cable.

Here is a multiplex list for Freesat - http://www.taylorbros.co.uk/Free%20Sat%20Multiplex%20list.html
    Last edited by kwikbreaks; 14-07-2017 at 8:48 AM. Reason: Typo - Freesat where should have been Freeview
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 13th Jul 17, 9:33 PM
    • 8,213 Posts
    • 6,183 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    If you tell us which model of Humax we may be able to help, but until you said it was satellite you didn't help us much. If you have a twin tuner version then you need two inputs, or you can watch one and record another as kwikbreaks says above.
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 14th Jul 17, 9:15 AM
    • 8,836 Posts
    • 4,415 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    The lack of orginal clarity has lead to mention of both Feesat and Freeview. As I actually have both in different locations and have sausage fingers my previous post said Freesat twice which I've now corrected plus the dodgy firmware I mentioned is actually on a Freeview bow which I haven't corrected as it would make a nonsense of the following post.

Anyhow to summarise I think we've established that for reliable record one view another you do need twin tuners on either system. For Freesat you may need an extra cable or LNB upgrade (unlikely) and cable to support the extra tuner.

Strangely the OP says they currently have Freesat but have been looking at a Freeview box.

You can get refurb boxes pretty cheap but they may have glitches (certainly mine did). There is no need to pay £300 for brand spanking new - you'd get an HD version of either for < £200 even from somewhere like Currys.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 14th Jul 17, 10:20 AM
    • 1,659 Posts
    • 15,186 Thanks
    csarina2
    Not looking for freeview, we already have it on the TV, I want to upgrade the freestat box. Looks like I may have to have the engineer in to put on another feed for the multi tuner box when we get it.

Its on hold just now, I know what to look for when the time comes. So thanks for the help.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 14th Jul 17, 4:59 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 973 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    You could have just answered the question.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 14th Jul 17, 6:40 PM
    • 8,213 Posts
    • 6,183 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    If you tell us which model of Humax we may be able to help, but until you said it was satellite you didn't help us much. If you have a twin tuner version then you need two inputs, or you can watch one and record another as kwikbreaks says above.
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem
    If you answer this question then you may save having to buy a new box and a new cable
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 17th Jul 17, 10:34 AM
    • 1,659 Posts
    • 15,186 Thanks
    csarina2
    The box is a Humax foxsat-HDR, the extra 't' was a slip of the finger and for some obscure reason stuck, does that satisfy you? It does have a twin feed so we can record and watch at the same time. Its my husbands habit of setting two programmes and causing a conflict I want to sort out, I understand to do this we need a more up to date freesat box..

Since my last message the TV went gone belly up, the new one also has freeview installed, it is the Humax box I am interested in so OH can record more than one programme at a time which we cannot do with this box. It is an old box bought, I think, in 2011.
    Last edited by csarina2; 17-07-2017 at 10:38 AM.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 17th Jul 17, 11:38 AM
    • 2,477 Posts
    • 1,346 Thanks
    RumRat
    You can have a Freeview box, regardless of the fact you have it on the TV, should you decide to go that route. I just use the box controls for viewing and bypass the TV.
    Your choice, but, go here https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/refurbished.htmlhttp://
    and take your pick. I recommend FVP 4000T with freeview, I've not used a Freesat box in a while.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • almillar
    • By almillar 17th Jul 17, 12:48 PM
    • 7,016 Posts
    • 2,799 Thanks
    almillar
    I understand to do this we need a more up to date freesat box..
    You don't. I've got one of these boxes. What you NEED is a second feed from the dish. No other box (short of Sky Q, a different can of worms) will help. Don't buy a new box thinking it will fix this. What a new box WILL get you, is the on demand stuff. Your box did do it, but the platform moved on and it got left behind, and is no longer compatible.
    Oh I do beg your pardon!!
    Pedantic pardon granted.
    • Boxman
    • By Boxman 17th Jul 17, 1:17 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Boxman
    Just curious, what does Freesat give you over Freeview?
    • downshifted
    • By downshifted 17th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    • 870 Posts
    • 1,770 Thanks
    downshifted
    Boxman - we got Freesat because we live near the coast and the Freeview signal was as poor as other TV and phone signals here
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
    • almillar
    • By almillar 18th Jul 17, 12:34 PM
    • 7,016 Posts
    • 2,799 Thanks
    almillar
    Just curious, what does Freesat give you over Freeview?
    They're similar in the offering of the main channels, and catch up services, if you buy the right box, but Freesat does have stacks more channels. Freeview does have some that Freesat doesn't have though, as I said above, the most important one, depending on your opinion, is Dave. It's not worth getting a satellite dish for, and Freeview isn't worth getting an aerial for, if you've already got the other.
    In the future though, Freeview's bandwidth is pretty tight, so I don't see where they'll ever fit 4K channels - satellite (Sky, Freesat, free satellite) has plenty of bandwidth to spare, so 4K is possible.
    • Ainsley1
    • By Ainsley1 18th Jul 17, 1:21 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    Ainsley1
    Being on holiday in sunnier climes I have only just read this whilst waiting around for travel.......but
    Yes sat has a lot more channels, free has a lot less and in some areas poor signal strength or an even more limited number of channels where old relay analogue transmitters have reduced capacity.

Don't want PVR???? We'll just try using catch up for those bits of programmes that are not available such as local news when grandchildren star that are great for memories!!!
    • Gers
    • By Gers 18th Jul 17, 3:02 PM
    • 5,762 Posts
    • 33,511 Thanks
    Gers
    Why record at all, consider on demand TV, have your own library backed up by channels if you want them, no need to record anything because they are already there waiting for you.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    Some of us out there don't have high speed, or even normal speed of broadband to support on demand viewing.

My troubles with broadband last week brought my speed down to an average lower than dial-up! The resolution has brought it back up to a normal 1.9mbps. At that speed I can watch BBC iPlayer without too much trouble but not ITV / STV which just always buffers.

As for Freesat channels, the whole selection of BBC regional channels are available, not just the local one. Freeview channels here are very limited although we do have have them tuned in.

It's about choice and limitations. Sometimes the limitations are geographical and sometimes they are financial. Or both.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 19th Jul 17, 1:43 PM
    • 7,016 Posts
    • 2,799 Thanks
    almillar
    I love Plex, DavidP24, but it absolutely isn't for everyone. I think broadcast TV will still be here for years to come.
    Anyway, it's just been announced that Dave will be added to the Freesat platform from 1st August - this was about the biggest drawback (depending on your opinion of channels) of going with Freesat vs Freeview, bot now there's decent parity between the channel lineups.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,896Posts Today

7,468Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin