Humax Boxes

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thats the box I have been looking at re-conditioned, I will see what I can find out about it on the internet.

Anyone on here had problems with this box? is it easy to set up, I am not a techie, stumble about as best I can. Rue the day I ever taught my husband to use the laptop!!
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thats the box I have been looking at re-conditioned, I will see what I can find out about it on the internet.

Anyone on here had problems with this box? is it easy to set up, I am not a techie, stumble about as best I can. Rue the day I ever taught my husband to use the laptop!!
    I've had one since launch, there were a few problems in the early days, but, they seem to have been ironed out.
    It's easy to set up and use and has Freeview play so that you can record a programme that was on last week. I've never used it personally it seems a pretty pointless service as the box has all the catchup TV apps onboard as well as Netflix etc.
    Compared to some of the older boxes it seems a bit slow in giving the EPG and information etc.
    When you first get anything like this it seems complicated but it doesn't take long before you are flying around the remote etc.
    I don't watch that much TV so have never felt the need to record more than a couple of programmes simultaneously, but, that all works fine.
    It can also be used as a media player if needed.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • psychic_teabag
    psychic_teabag Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Perhaps worth mentioning that humax do both freeview and freesat - I don't think the OP actually specified which they were using (or considering).

One moneysaving alternative... if you only record occassionally, and since the laptop already has hard disk and user interface, is to plug in a usb tuner and let it do the recording. You can get a freeview usb tuner for £10.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Its freestat, I bought the freestat box in 2011, we actually have freeview inbuilt on the TV.

Its actually for OH, he keeps entering programmes he wants to record and then gets a conflict, which I have to get him out of, if he can record more than 2 it will be fine.

I might have to hold off for a day or two, need to get the cash together.

Will I be able to sell the old box? Although it does not owe me anything when I pit it against what I would have paid sky or virgin media.......
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The only point Rumrat has got wrong is I am pretty sure you cannot record catch-up.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    treboeth wrote: »
    The only point Rumrat has got wrong is I am pretty sure you cannot record catch-up.
    Correct, I meant view, which is why I said I found it a bit pointless and have never used it. Apologies for the confusion.:o
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've had two BT Youview boxes off eBay for about £35 each, no need to spend big money. Great bits of kit, I got rid of TiVo.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've had two BT Youview boxes off eBay for about £35 each, no need to spend big money. Great bits of kit, I got rid of TiVo.
    That's a terrible price ;)

I bought my FVP4000t for £50 from Gumtree :D
    And I have screenshots to prove the price :p
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    RumRat wrote: »
    Correct, I meant view, which is why I said I found it a bit pointless and have never used it. Apologies for the confusion.:o

I have used it once or twice from the guide, but use catch-up from the Apps more often.
    I love the media player feature and I didn't really buy it for that.
  • psychic_teabag
    psychic_teabag Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't know anything about freesat, but
    https://www.freesat.co.uk/help/get-freesat/faq/recording-while-watching
    seems to suggest you need two cables from satellite in order to watch two programs. That's consistent with onomatopoeia99's reply above.

(I know that freeview receives all signals in parallel and the demux in the tuner picks it out. I had a feeling that freesat the demuxing happened at the dish. Or at least some of it.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure