Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 12th Jul 17, 11:32 AM
    • 1,611Posts
    • 14,633Thanks
    csarina2
    Humax Boxes
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:32 AM
    Humax Boxes 12th Jul 17 at 11:32 AM
    Some years ago I bought a Humax box which has served us very well, but we cannot record more than one programme at the same time which can be annoying.

Are you able to record more than one programme at the same time with the newer boxes? Is it worth shelling out £300 for a new box?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Jul 17, 11:38 AM
    • 12,678 Posts
    • 12,934 Thanks
    zx81
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:38 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:38 AM
    Yes you can - you don't need to spend £300 though.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 12th Jul 17, 12:28 PM
    • 1,747 Posts
    • 954 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:28 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:28 PM
    Yes if its twin or triple tuner, not all are.
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 12th Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    • 4,968 Posts
    • 5,116 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    • 12th Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    I bought a secondhand YouView box (a DTRT1000) off eBay for £35 a few months ago. which I've found very good and reliable.

It records two programmes at once whilst being able to watch a recording.

However, it does have a mysterious quirk. If I'm recording two non-HD channels, I cannot watch another live non-HD channel. But if I'm recording two HD channels, I can watch a third live HD channel at the same time.

I can't explain why this happens.
    There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O.S. Nock
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 12th Jul 17, 2:28 PM
    • 8,823 Posts
    • 4,411 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 12th Jul 17, 2:28 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 2:28 PM
    In the digital TV world a TV programme doesn't occupy a full channel any more - it's just part of one. What were the old analogue channels carry quite a few digital channels and are called multiplexes.

See https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/multiplexes

If what you want to watch is being carried on one of the "channels" or multiplexes you are recording from or the two you are recording are carried on the same multiplex (quite likely for HD programmes) then you'll be able to watch the additional program.
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 12th Jul 17, 2:33 PM
    • 4,968 Posts
    • 5,116 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    • 12th Jul 17, 2:33 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 2:33 PM
    In the digital TV world a TV programme doesn't occupy a full channel any more - it's just part of one. What were the old analogue channels carry quite a few digital channels and are called multiplexes.

If what you want to watch is being carried on one of the "channels" or multiplexes you are recording from or the two you are recording are carried on the same multiplex (quite likely for HD programmes) then you'll be able to watch the additional program.
    Originally posted by kwikbreaks
    That's interesting. Thanks for that.
    There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O.S. Nock
    • bob_a_builder
    • By bob_a_builder 12th Jul 17, 2:56 PM
    • 1,480 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    bob_a_builder
    • 12th Jul 17, 2:56 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 2:56 PM
    You can get Humax refurbished units from here
    I did, you really couldn't tell it wasn't new

£89 for HDR-1800T - Twin tuner

https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/refurbished.html
    • psychic teabag
    • By psychic teabag 12th Jul 17, 7:25 PM
    • 2,594 Posts
    • 1,530 Thanks
    psychic teabag
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:25 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:25 PM

I've tried one of the older single-tuner humaxes (9100 was it ?). It definitely only allowed one recording (even though I knew about the multiplex stuff) - my guess is that it would have been too hard to explain to users why sometimes they can record one program, and sometimes two. So they just made the interface force a limit of a single recording (and you may or may not be able to watch a different channel at the same time).

In the same way, a dual-tuner (eg 9200) allows two recordings even though in principle more could be done concurrently.

(I now use tvheadend software on an rpi - it only has a single tuner, but will record as many multiplexed programs as I have asked for.)
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 12th Jul 17, 9:05 PM
    • 8,823 Posts
    • 4,411 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:05 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:05 PM
    I've got an annoying bug on the cheap refurb freesat box I bought on eBay for my caravan.

Despite it having 2 tuners if you are watching something and a recording kicks off it puts up a warning message and eventually just changes channel to the one you are recording. You can then just change the channel back and it's fine. As a lot of refurbs on eBay are just customer returns I suspect this firmware bug explains why there were loads of these on eBay at the time I bought it.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 12th Jul 17, 10:48 PM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 7,064 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    I've got an annoying bug on the cheap refurb freesat box I bought on eBay for my caravan.

Despite it having 2 tuners if you are watching something and a recording kicks off it puts up a warning message and eventually just changes channel to the one you are recording. You can then just change the channel back and it's fine. As a lot of refurbs on eBay are just customer returns I suspect this firmware bug explains why there were loads of these on eBay at the time I bought it.
    That often means it's not getting a signal on one of the two coax inputs on the back of the box - have you checked the signal strength on both inputs? Cable integrity etc..?
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 12th Jul 17, 10:59 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    treboeth
    I have a Humax Freeview Play FVP 4000t that records 4 channels and you may be able to watch a fifth.

My box works fine but it`s worth reading up on it as some people have problems with them.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 13th Jul 17, 8:54 AM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 14,633 Thanks
    csarina2
    Thats the box I have been looking at re-conditioned, I will see what I can find out about it on the internet.

Anyone on here had problems with this box? is it easy to set up, I am not a techie, stumble about as best I can. Rue the day I ever taught my husband to use the laptop!!
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 13th Jul 17, 9:47 AM
    • 2,431 Posts
    • 1,314 Thanks
    RumRat
    Thats the box I have been looking at re-conditioned, I will see what I can find out about it on the internet.

Anyone on here had problems with this box? is it easy to set up, I am not a techie, stumble about as best I can. Rue the day I ever taught my husband to use the laptop!!
    Originally posted by csarina2
    I've had one since launch, there were a few problems in the early days, but, they seem to have been ironed out.
    It's easy to set up and use and has Freeview play so that you can record a programme that was on last week. I've never used it personally it seems a pretty pointless service as the box has all the catchup TV apps onboard as well as Netflix etc.
    Compared to some of the older boxes it seems a bit slow in giving the EPG and information etc.
    When you first get anything like this it seems complicated but it doesn't take long before you are flying around the remote etc.
    I don't watch that much TV so have never felt the need to record more than a couple of programmes simultaneously, but, that all works fine.
    It can also be used as a media player if needed.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • psychic teabag
    • By psychic teabag 13th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 2,594 Posts
    • 1,530 Thanks
    psychic teabag
    Perhaps worth mentioning that humax do both freeview and freesat - I don't think the OP actually specified which they were using (or considering).

One moneysaving alternative... if you only record occassionally, and since the laptop already has hard disk and user interface, is to plug in a usb tuner and let it do the recording. You can get a freeview usb tuner for £10.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 13th Jul 17, 11:27 AM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 14,633 Thanks
    csarina2
    Its freestat, I bought the freestat box in 2011, we actually have freeview inbuilt on the TV.

Its actually for OH, he keeps entering programmes he wants to record and then gets a conflict, which I have to get him out of, if he can record more than 2 it will be fine.

I might have to hold off for a day or two, need to get the cash together.

Will I be able to sell the old box? Although it does not owe me anything when I pit it against what I would have paid sky or virgin media.......
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 13th Jul 17, 12:56 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    treboeth
    The only point Rumrat has got wrong is I am pretty sure you cannot record catch-up.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 13th Jul 17, 1:13 PM
    • 2,431 Posts
    • 1,314 Thanks
    RumRat
    The only point Rumrat has got wrong is I am pretty sure you cannot record catch-up.
    Originally posted by treboeth
    Correct, I meant view, which is why I said I found it a bit pointless and have never used it. Apologies for the confusion.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 13th Jul 17, 1:16 PM
    • 8,397 Posts
    • 12,792 Thanks
    worried jim
    I've had two BT Youview boxes off eBay for about £35 each, no need to spend big money. Great bits of kit, I got rid of TiVo.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 13th Jul 17, 1:22 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    treboeth
    I've had two BT Youview boxes off eBay for about £35 each, no need to spend big money. Great bits of kit, I got rid of TiVo.
    Originally posted by worried jim
    That's a terrible price

I bought my FVP4000t for £50 from Gumtree
    And I have screenshots to prove the price
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 13th Jul 17, 1:24 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    treboeth
    Correct, I meant view, which is why I said I found it a bit pointless and have never used it. Apologies for the confusion.
    Originally posted by RumRat
    I have used it once or twice from the guide, but use catch-up from the Apps more often.
    I love the media player feature and I didn't really buy it for that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,974Posts Today

8,829Users online

Martin's Twitter