Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • systwo
    • By systwo 12th Jul 17, 11:28 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    systwo
    Concert Tickets
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:28 AM
    Concert Tickets 12th Jul 17 at 11:28 AM
    Does this seem right?

At the weekend I purchased 4 tickets for a concert at a total cost of £222.50. I was completely aware that they could not be re-sold except at face value and could only be used by me at the venue.

I was aware that if I wanted to re-sell them I could do so through the ticket company's own fan reseller website at face value.

What I have discovered is that it is no problem reselling them BUT I would not receive the money after they are re-sold but after the event which is nearly a year away in June 2018!

I have double-checked this with ticket company and they have confirmed that this is correct. This means that they have taken £222.50 from me and then they will take £222.50 from the person they are re-sold to and I do not receive my money for nearly a year.

The Consumer Rights guys say that there is nothing I can do.

Does everyone think this is correct?
Page 1
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 12th Jul 17, 11:32 AM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 2,720 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:32 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:32 AM
    Were they Ed Sheeran tickets by any chance?
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 12th Jul 17, 11:45 AM
    • 2,469 Posts
    • 5,370 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:45 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:45 AM
    Were they Ed Sheeran tickets by any chance?
    Originally posted by Oakdene

lol I wondered that ....mind you I'm also wondering how you can suddenly magic up 3 extra dates
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 12th Jul 17, 11:47 AM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 2,720 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:47 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:47 AM
    lol I wondered that ....mind you I'm also wondering how you can suddenly magic up 3 extra dates
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    In Cardiff, I know he wasnt sure he would sell out one night so he added two extra dates then when they went he added another one. I think this is common practice in relation to tours
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 12th Jul 17, 11:51 AM
    • 1,245 Posts
    • 2,574 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:51 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:51 AM
    Although it's crazy to have to book that far ahead, it sort of seems fair to me if the point is to stop touts.

It allows for genuine fans who are ill at the last minute etc to re-sell (in which case it'd be the same for them - paying now and not receiving the refund until the time of the event), but stops touts who buy up all the tickets the day they're sold and then immediately list them for extortionate mark-ups online, never having had any intention of attending the concert, and having prevented fans getting the tickets at fave value.

If a fan genuinely wants to go to the gig, they'd only not go if they had a really serious reason, and would be gutted to have to sell their ticket.
    • Country Cousin
    • By Country Cousin 12th Jul 17, 12:12 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    Country Cousin
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:12 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:12 PM
    I suppose it is ultimately up to you whether you chose to use their services with those terms. You bought the tickets knowing that they were not re-saleable and so the chance to be able to sell them via a reputable means must be seen as a bonus. When I buy tickets on those terms I usually take out the insurance (which is something I do not usually do) in case something happens that I cannot go, as I know that I cannot resell them. Just curious why you would buy tickets and then look into selling them again immediately at face value?

(just seen potentially added extra dates - so that might be the reason?)
    Last edited by Country Cousin; 12-07-2017 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Extra posts extra info
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 12th Jul 17, 12:15 PM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 2,720 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:15 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:15 PM
    I suppose it is ultimately up to you whether you chose to use their services with those terms. You bought the tickets knowing that they were not re-saleable and so the chance to be able to sell them via a reputable means must be seen as a bonus. When I buy tickets on those terms I usually take out the insurance (which is something I do not usually do) in case something happens that I cannot go, as I know that I cannot resell them. Just curious why you would buy tickets and then look into selling them again immediately at face value?

(just seen potentially added extra dates - so that might be the reason?)
    Originally posted by Country Cousin
    Could have been that OP & his OH were both trying to get tickets knowing how hard it would be & they have now got 8
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 12th Jul 17, 3:08 PM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 2,555 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:08 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:08 PM
    They won't refund until after the buyer has been allowed into the venue.
    • systwo
    • By systwo 13th Jul 17, 1:59 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    systwo
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:59 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 1:59 PM
    It was Ed Sheeran and I fully support a process which avoids highly inflated ticket pricing on resale.

My unhappiness surrounded the fact that the ticket reseller is taking money from both of us and not releasing funds to me until after the concert nearly a year away.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 13th Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    • 8,772 Posts
    • 12,741 Thanks
    meer53
    It was Ed Sheeran and I fully support a process which avoids highly inflated ticket pricing on resale.

My unhappiness surrounded the fact that the ticket reseller is taking money from both of us and not releasing funds to me until after the concert nearly a year away.
    Originally posted by systwo
    Thats how it works. You can make your choice, sell or don't sell.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 13th Jul 17, 2:31 PM
    • 9,282 Posts
    • 10,439 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    But what would happen if the reseller sold the tickets you have and gave you the money then it turned out to be the case that those tickets were stolen or forged?
    They would have to refund their buyer and then attempt to recover the money from you assuming that you could still be found.
    • systwo
    • By systwo 13th Jul 17, 3:39 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    systwo
    Maybe I have not explained. You can only re-sell the tickets by using the re-sell website run by the original company that sold the tickets.

They have total control. They will just sit on two lots of money for 11 months.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 14th Jul 17, 3:06 PM
    • 4,347 Posts
    • 6,826 Thanks
    Gavin83
    How do they know it's you using the tickets? Do you have to personally collect them or something?
    • takman
    • By takman 14th Jul 17, 9:08 PM
    • 2,393 Posts
    • 2,011 Thanks
    takman
    Maybe I have not explained. You can only re-sell the tickets by using the re-sell website run by the original company that sold the tickets.

They have total control. They will just sit on two lots of money for 11 months.
    But why are you selling the tickets?, the obvious solution to this is to not buy tickets that you don't want.

Also considering that their is a lot of focus on Ticket Touts recently then a system like this is a good way to make sure only people who really want to go buy the tickets directly.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

102Posts Today

1,834Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin