Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sacha28
    • By sacha28 12th Jul 17, 11:22 AM
    • 756Posts
    • 1,151Thanks
    sacha28
    Student loans when training
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:22 AM
    Student loans when training 12th Jul 17 at 11:22 AM
    The posters on this forum are very knowledgeable so it only seems right that I ask for help here first before tying myself up in knots searching the internet!

I've been offered the opportunity to continue my studies via a sponsership from my department. This is amazing news as I have had aspirations to gain the full degree for about 16 years. The only problem with this sponsership is that, although I will be paid a percentage of my salary, I will lose approximately £6000 pa. This is obviously going to have a massive impact on my finances, I have a 5 year old and a house to run/bills to pay so I'm not sure, atm, if it's going to be manageable the varying hours throughout training (I work almost set shifts presently as agreed by my flexible working request) means I will incur extra childcare costs for wrap around care.

Will I be able to apply for student loans or student finance of some form, given that I will be receiving a (very small) monthly payment?

Thanks for any help or advice in advance.
Page 1
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 12th Jul 17, 9:00 PM
    • 37,823 Posts
    • 34,216 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:00 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:00 PM
    I don't see how anyone can answer that without a little more information. What are the terms of your sponsorship - is it a payment to you, or a salary sacrifice on your part? Is your employer going to pay the fees? Crucially, have you had a student loan before? - I ask because you mention wanting to gain the 'full' degree.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 2 shawls, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 1 seaman's hat ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, another seaman's hat
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

857Posts Today

6,602Users online

Martin's Twitter