Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wigannwuk
    • By wigannwuk 12th Jul 17, 11:21 AM
    • 162Posts
    • 160Thanks
    wigannwuk
    Argos Laptop Return
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:21 AM
    Argos Laptop Return 12th Jul 17 at 11:21 AM
    I wish i had read this forum before i bought this but here goes for a bit of advice.

I bought a small laptop yesterday - tablet /laptop 2 in 1 thing.
    Yes it was an impulse buy but once i got it home , set it up etc , i have realised it is very slow and not fit for my purpose. Though im not saying its a fault its just not what i expected.

I ordered online , paid with my credit card online but went to store to pick up.

I have spoke to Argos customer helpline who are saying they wont accept a return / refund as its not covered unless they deliver.

As i said im not going to lie and say its faulty , yes i have changed my mind ....do i have any rights?? or take it on the chin?

What ever happens i wont be using argos again as their 30 day return statement is very vague and misleading
Page 1
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 12th Jul 17, 11:25 AM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 2,788 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:25 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:25 AM
    What ever happens i wont be using argos again as their 30 day return statement is very vague and misleading
    Originally posted by wigannwuk
    Its not really vague...

Absolutely! We offer a 30 day returns guarantee on most items. (We’re nice like that.)
    So if you need to bring it back, just bring it back. Then we’ll either refund the cash onto the original payment method or offer you an exchange. Easy.
    You just need these 2 things:
    1. your proof of purchase
    2. the item should be unused, in its original packaging and in a re-sellable condition
    3. er... there is no 3
    PS There are a few things we can’t do returns for, such as food and some jewellery (see FAQ below) unless of course they’re faulty. Naturally, none of this affects your consumer rights.
    by Argos

Your item is used...
    • wigannwuk
    • By wigannwuk 12th Jul 17, 11:30 AM
    • 162 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    wigannwuk
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:30 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:30 AM
    Its not really vague...

Your item is used...
    Originally posted by Oakdene
    i know its used i spoke to them , im just asking if somebody knows if distance selling rules applies?
    • Leo2020
    • By Leo2020 12th Jul 17, 12:21 PM
    • 873 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    Leo2020
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:21 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:21 PM
    Distance Selling Regulations have been replaced. Consumer Contracts Regulations is the one your looking for.

As you paid online then it is a distance sale even though you collected it from store.
    • wigannwuk
    • By wigannwuk 12th Jul 17, 12:29 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    wigannwuk
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:29 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:29 PM
    Distance Selling Regulations have been replaced. Consumer Contracts Regulations is the one your looking for.

As you paid online then it is a distance sale even though you collected it from store.
    Originally posted by Leo2020
    Thanks Leo

So how do i get them to accept the return?
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 12th Jul 17, 12:31 PM
    • 2,753 Posts
    • 2,774 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:31 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by Leo2020
    I'm minded to agree with that ... if you ordered online and paid online then it was a distance contract. (The fact you collected in store is irrelevant - that was merely the "delivery" mechanism). As such the cancellation rights per CCR 2013 apply.

The potential sticking point is the fact you set it up ... the regs allow you to check a product to satisfy yourself that it meets your requirements as you would if you were in a shop. You wouldn't normally set up a laptop in a shop.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • wigannwuk
    • By wigannwuk 12th Jul 17, 12:34 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    wigannwuk
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:34 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:34 PM
    I'm minded to agree with that ... if you ordered online and paid online then it was a distance contract. (The fact you collected in store is irrelevant - that was merely the "delivery" mechanism). As such the cancellation rights per CCR 2013 apply.

The potential sticking point is the fact you set it up ... the regs allow you to check a product to satisfy yourself that it meets your requirements as you would if you were in a shop. You wouldn't normally set up a laptop in a shop.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Thanks Doam

To be fair you cant use a laptop without setting it up to an extent , but i have now reset it.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 12th Jul 17, 12:35 PM
    • 18,640 Posts
    • 15,521 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:35 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:35 PM
    i know its used i spoke to them , im just asking if somebody knows if distance selling rules applies?
    Distance selling rules do apply.
    If you had ordered online and paid when you collected the goods, then distance selling rules would not apply.

The distance selling rules, now included in The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013,
    tell us that you can cancel your order up to fourteen days following delivery.

My understanding is that the seller cannot refuse that cancellation, but they can reduce the refund if your "handling is beyond what is necessary to establish the nature, characteristics and functioning of the goods if, in particular, it goes beyond the sort of handling that might reasonably be allowed in a shop."

That's from Regulation 34 of the above-mentioned Regulations.
    Last edited by wealdroam; 12-07-2017 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Oh... too late again.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 12th Jul 17, 1:05 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 12th Jul 17, 1:05 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 1:05 PM

The distance selling rules, now included in The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013,
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    WRONG. Distance Selling Rules/Regulations no longer exist as these were replaced by The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 as of 13 June 2014
    • wigannwuk
    • By wigannwuk 12th Jul 17, 1:07 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    wigannwuk
    WRONG. Distance Selling Rules/Regulations no longer exist as these were replaced by The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 as of 13 June 2014
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    so what can i do?
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 12th Jul 17, 1:18 PM
    • 933 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    IAmWales
    Please reread what wealdroam wrote. You have stated the same thing that they did!
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 12th Jul 17, 1:35 PM
    • 18,640 Posts
    • 15,521 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Angryparcel, I object to your unnecessarily 'angry' response.

There is nothing wrong with the information in my post.

Please behave.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 12th Jul 17, 1:44 PM
    • 9,730 Posts
    • 6,755 Thanks
    neilmcl
    WRONG!! Distance selling rules do apply, it's just the the relevant distance selling regulation now in force are the CCRs, which is pretty much what Wealdroam stated.
    Last edited by neilmcl; 12-07-2017 at 1:48 PM.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 12th Jul 17, 1:46 PM
    • 9,730 Posts
    • 6,755 Thanks
    neilmcl
    so what can i do?
    Contact Argos again stating that your purchase is covered by the CCRs and you are entitled to a refund, if they still refuse then your only choice is to send an LBA.
    • wigannwuk
    • By wigannwuk 12th Jul 17, 1:48 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    wigannwuk
    i appreciate everybodys replies, though courtesy costs nothing if you disagree with somebody.

i have emailed Argos anyway and await a response
    • wigannwuk
    • By wigannwuk 12th Jul 17, 1:53 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    wigannwuk
    Contact Argos again stating that your purchase is covered by the CCRs and you are entitled to a refund, if they still refuse then your only choice is to send an LBA.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    cheers neal

i did email them ,so will see. whats an LBA?
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 12th Jul 17, 1:54 PM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 2,788 Thanks
    Oakdene
    cheers neal

i did email them ,so will see. whats an LBA?
    Letter Before Action
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 12th Jul 17, 2:17 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    Please reread what wealdroam wrote. You have stated the same thing that they did!
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    No he stated

which they are not as they were REPLACED by The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013
    • OlliesDad
    • By OlliesDad 12th Jul 17, 2:37 PM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    OlliesDad
    No he stated

which they are not as they were REPLACED by The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013
    No, the rules about distance selling are included The CCR 2013 they were previously included within the Distance Selling Regulations. What Wealdroam posted was perfectly acceptable and everybody understood exactly what was meant.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 12th Jul 17, 2:56 PM
    • 18,640 Posts
    • 15,521 Thanks
    wealdroam
    No he stated
    Are you really saying that the distance selling rules are not included in The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013?

Surely not.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,590Posts Today

5,769Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin