Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Peachie_
    • By Peachie_ 12th Jul 17, 11:13 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Peachie_
    Age 22, Saving
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:13 AM
    Age 22, Saving 12th Jul 17 at 11:13 AM
    Hi,
    I have just turned 22 and have around £4,000 in savings. I have been working for a few years and didn't go to university so I don't have student debts. I earn just over £10,000 a year from 2 part time jobs. I think it's time to hardcore save for the future. I want to save to go to Australia as well as saving for a future house. I live with my parents so don't have many outgoings. How much do you think I should aim to save each month? Is £4000 a good starting point?
    Thanks
Page 2
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 13th Jul 17, 5:51 PM
    • 9,573 Posts
    • 6,094 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Why do Asian people come to the UK when Australia is closer to then?
    Originally posted by MatthewAinsworth
    You don't half post some nonsense, even if it is slightly entertaining.

What do you mean by 'Asian people'?

Emigration from China, Japan and south east Asia is far higher into Australia than into the uk.

Less so for those from South Asia, but there are historical connections with the U.K. To consider
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 13th Jul 17, 5:55 PM
    • 2,790 Posts
    • 1,110 Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    Nepalese, Filipino, Indian - why don't they all choose the closest richest country? Especially the skilled ones
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 13th Jul 17, 9:23 PM
    • 1,506 Posts
    • 1,471 Thanks
    steampowered
    Nepalese, Filipino, Indian - why don't they all choose the closest richest country? Especially the skilled ones
    The vast majority of them do. If you go to somewhere like Singapore, Japan or (especially) the middle East - you will find an enormous number of Filipino maids and Indian workers.

I'm not sure if you have ever been to these countries - but if you do you will immediately notice people of Indian and Filipino descent in much, much, much higher numbers than in the UK.

In any event, the only difference in coming to the UK would be a slightly more expensive flight ticket. Which is what, an extra £200 or so compared to a flight somewhere slightly nearer? This is not a significant cost in the context of someone who wants to work for a year or more.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 13th Jul 17, 9:26 PM
    • 1,506 Posts
    • 1,471 Thanks
    steampowered
    Are the opportunities in Australia so well paid that they completely negate the cost of travel and extra rent, and the opportunity cost if property does keep rising?
    Yes, they are.

The experience the Op would get from working in somewhere like Australia for a period of time is a priceless experience that is also excellent from a personal development perspective and looks good on a CV.

The pounds and pence cost isn't really the point.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 13th Jul 17, 10:46 PM
    • 9,573 Posts
    • 6,094 Thanks
    bigadaj

In any event, the only difference in coming to the UK would be a slightly more expensive flight ticket. Which is what, an extra £200 or so compared to a flight somewhere slightly nearer? This is not a significant cost in the context of someone who wants to work for a year or more.
    Originally posted by steampowered
    That could be a significant cost for many people considering how little they might get paid.

I was talking to a mate about this a few years ago, I'd lived in Hong Kong and he'd lived in Indonesia. Hong Kong had a minimum wage for a maid, admittedly excluding board, which was around £250 a month, typically for a six day week. This mates missus looked shock, she said that no one in Jakarta would be paying anything like that amount for their domestic help.
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 14th Jul 17, 5:49 AM
    • 2,790 Posts
    • 1,110 Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    How do we know he'll go for decently paying work over there? If he isn't fully employed now and may not know how to really persue a career... People from low income backgrounds often have very little real guidance
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 14th Jul 17, 5:06 PM
    • 9,573 Posts
    • 6,094 Thanks
    bigadaj
    How do we know he'll go for decently paying work over there? If he isn't fully employed now and may not know how to really persue a career... People from low income backgrounds often have very little real guidance
    My understanding is that the OP is looking for an extended holiday with some work, no absolute requirement to earn a fortune doing that.

The issue around a longer term career with increased income and prospects is separate from what I can see, and may be best kept so.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 15th Jul 17, 12:24 AM
    • 1,506 Posts
    • 1,471 Thanks
    steampowered
    I don't think it matters whether or not he gets decently paying work. That's not the point.

One of the reasons why rich kids do so much better than poor kids at the start of their careers is that rich kids have much better CVs because they do stuff like move to Australia for a while.

If you start your career by sitting at home trying to scrape savings together from a low paid job, you are probably still going to be a low paid job a few years down the line. There's nothing wrong with that, and sure you can work your way up over time, but it won't get you into a high paying job anytime fast.

I see a fair few CVs of graduates applying for a professional job in the city (we pay trainees £40k when they start, rising to £80k when they qualify). Regrettably the people that win the jobs are mostly kids from well-off backgrounds, simply because those are the kids which tend to have better grades, more developed interpersonal skills and do better at interview. Nearly all of them have been developed themselves by going abroad to teach English or build schools or whatever.
    Last edited by steampowered; 15-07-2017 at 12:28 AM.
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 15th Jul 17, 5:13 AM
    • 2,790 Posts
    • 1,110 Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    Why does backpacking look better than trying to begin a career in the UK? Is it just a correlation that rich families mostly enjoy life a similar way and that's been lumped together with natural advantages like parents who know how to succeed, a more optimistic approach to education, fear of shame if they don't succeed, etc?

It's possible that if you try to look like one of them employers will assume good things about you, it's going for gold, a high risk approach, no fall back if it fails - rich kids aren't risking future home ownership doing these things. There simply isn't equal opportunity
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 15th Jul 17, 6:13 AM
    • 9,573 Posts
    • 6,094 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Why does backpacking look better than trying to begin a career in the UK? Is it just a correlation that rich families mostly enjoy life a similar way and that's been lumped together with natural advantages like parents who know how to succeed, a more optimistic approach to education, fear of shame if they don't succeed, etc?

It's possible that if you try to look like one of them employers will assume good things about you, it's going for gold, a high risk approach, no fall back if it fails - rich kids aren't risking future home ownership doing these things. There simply isn't equal opportunity
    Stream of consciousness......
    • Bazofts Revenge
    • By Bazofts Revenge 15th Jul 17, 9:52 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    Bazofts Revenge
    OP. What are your current part time roles?
    How long have you done each?
    Have you asked for more responsibility?
    Have you asked for training opportunities?
    Do you want to progress in these roles?
    What would you really like to do in life?
    As for which should you do, Well you only have one life and you should do what makes you happy. Could you let us know roughly where in the country you are? You can still get reasonable properties under £100k some under £50k in some areas.
    Solar PV cost £5760 (15/03/13)
    FIT inc + Electricity saved £3500 (61% Paid back) Tax free
    Last update 30/06/17
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

205Posts Today

1,323Users online

Martin's Twitter