Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • emptyplate
    • By emptyplate 12th Jul 17, 10:58 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    emptyplate
    Help to Buy ISA and LISA eligibility
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:58 AM
    Help to Buy ISA and LISA eligibility 12th Jul 17 at 10:58 AM
    Hi,
    I am just about to start my first job and thought it would be a good idea to start putting some money away towards a house. I have been looking at both the help to buy ISA's and LISA's however I am not sure if I am eligible. For both of them it says that you cannot own a home anywhere in the world. I inherited half of a house about 17 years ago, does this mean that I do not meet the criteria? Thanks for your help.

David
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 12th Jul 17, 11:25 AM
    • 5,789 Posts
    • 5,672 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:25 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:25 AM
    For both of them it says that you cannot own a home anywhere in the world. I inherited half of a house about 17 years ago, does this mean that I do not meet the criteria?
    Originally posted by emptyplate
    The relevant wording (in https://www.helptobuy.gov.uk/documents/2015/12/eligibility-of-ftbs.pdf and elsewhere) starts with "I do not own, and never have owned any interest in land, whether in the United Kingdom or elsewhere [which involves a dwelling]" so you're not eligible as a first-time buyer under the HTB or LISA schemes.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 12th Jul 17, 12:14 PM
    • 5,384 Posts
    • 4,616 Thanks
    badger09
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:14 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:14 PM
    Hi,
    I am just about to start my first job and thought it would be a good idea to start putting some money away towards a house. I have been looking at both the help to buy ISA's and LISA's however I am not sure if I am eligible. For both of them it says that you cannot own a home anywhere in the world. I inherited half of a house about 17 years ago, does this mean that I do not meet the criteria? Thanks for your help.

David
    Originally posted by emptyplate
    Can you clarify what you mean by 'I inherited half of a house'

Do you mean ownership of a house was transferred directly to you and a n other on someone's death, or that you and a n other inherited the proceeds from the sale of a house?

If the former, then eskbanker is correct. If the latter, you qualify.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,323Posts Today

7,255Users online

Martin's Twitter